Short end of the stick?

Options
Hawtcookies
Hawtcookies Posts: 25 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Pun intended!

So I'm a really short guy, and I feel cheated, food wise, because of my height. I wonder if any of you other shorties feels like this as well.

If I'd eat a chocolate bar of, say, 500 kcal, I know 1/3 of my daily allowance is out the window. But when average Joe eats the same bar, he'll only lose 1/4th or even 1/5th of his allowance. This basically means that I have to eat very, very clean in order to have a treat, while average Joe can eat very normally and still treat himself. How is this fair?

I read on these forums that it is important to treat yourself on food you really want at times. It's all part of a balanced diet. But how do you fit in that treat if it chops away a large chunk of your calories?

I do realize taller people actually need more energy to exist. But due to this, it feels like they have more room for treats and slip ups. Do they have it easier because of this?

I realize very well that nothing can be done about this, except for exercise. But hey, a little rant feels good at times, eh?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of Petites.
    It is best to not focus on what others are eating.
    Eating normal is what is normal for you not your 300lbs 6' friends.

At 5'1, F, I get 1200 cals, my partner at 6'3, M gets close to 3000.
    We eat the same meals at home, mine are just much smaller.

Learn to go for quality not quantity.

Get a really good quality chocolate, just one square (50-70 cal) eaten slowly will be more satisfying than a whole mass produced low quality bar.

Eating out:-

I love a good burger but get it in lettuce instead of a bun.
    Prawns, grilled with good salad, dressing on the side.
    Blue cheese, salad again.
    Pasta, half the pasta all of the sauce, if it is tomato based, and no garlic bread.
    Beer, the first pint is a nice micro brew, after that low cal or water.

I love sharing a few starters with my bigger friends. I can have a taste of everything and still stay within my calories. They will make sure the plates are emptied.

Yes you do have to be a lot more conscientious when logging, a digital scale helps, and a treat, meal or day is fine, just log it so you know why you may be a bit slower losing or have a water gain from a night of nachos and beer.

Size doesn't make weight loss harder or easier; attitude and determination does.

Cheers, h.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Men aren't supposed to go lower than 1500, and in most cases you can eat more than that while still losing. Exercise adds even more. A candy bar is about 250 calories. You can fit that in! Can't you?
  • MiniNyoom
    MiniNyoom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of bigger people when it comes to intake! My maintenance is a nice 1600, but my fat loss is 1300. I'm 5'2" with a 6'1" boyfriend, and he's trying to put on muscle. Seeing his massive meals (that make up my entire days worth of calories) is such a struggle!

But I try to keep temptation at bay, and generally when we cook he gets 2/3 and I get 1/3. It helps to eat the same thing! Rants are necessary, especially when I get to hear him complain about how hard is it to eat so much.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions. You don't have to eat the whole bar at once, in other words.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    5'2". I feel your pain. But if you just work out more (yay cardio!) you can eat as much quantity as a big guy and maintain a deficit. It sucks, but look at it this way: apparently we're going to outlive our tall compadres.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/short-men-are-likely-to-live-longer-because-they-carry-the-longevity-gene-scientists-reveal-9356759.html
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @vivmom2014 I took it to be 1500. He ref'd 500 chocolate bar 1/3 of calories.
    Being a really petite woman I hate 250 going on one thing. I could get a glass of wine and a square of good chocolate when I want a treat for the same cals that a reg bar of chocolate has and have cals to spare.

Yes, @Hawtcookies, as vivmom2014 said, make sure you eat back 50-70% of your exercise calories if you are using MFP's numbers. It is set up so you should, and you will need them for optimum performance at home and in the gym.

Cheers, h.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Pun intended!

So I'm a really short guy, and I feel cheated, food wise, because of my height. I wonder if any of you other shorties feels like this as well.

If I'd eat a chocolate bar of, say, 500 kcal, I know 1/3 of my daily allowance is out the window. But when average Joe eats the same bar, he'll only lose 1/4th or even 1/5th of his allowance. This basically means that I have to eat very, very clean in order to have a treat, while average Joe can eat very normally and still treat himself. How is this fair?

I read on these forums that it is important to treat yourself on food you really want at times. It's all part of a balanced diet. But how do you fit in that treat if it chops away a large chunk of your calories?

I do realize taller people actually need more energy to exist. But due to this, it feels like they have more room for treats and slip ups. Do they have it easier because of this?

I realize very well that nothing can be done about this, except for exercise. But hey, a little rant feels good at times, eh?

A 500 calorie chocolate bar?!!? Just how big is that thing. Most chocolate bars I have are between 180-250 calories. Find smaller chocolate bars.

Seriously, I am not short, just average at 5'10", but I don't think I would want to write off 1/4 of my calories with a chocolate bar. If you want to enjoy a chocolate bar, why not exercise more so you have more calories to eat. Assuming your calorie goal is from MFP, you are supposed to eat those calories you burn exercising anyway. You may want to be conservative in terms of what your calories burned in exercise are, but at the same time, it is a way to get the calories to enjoy things like chocolate.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    A standard Hershey bar is 210 calories. A standard Kit Kat bar is 218 calories. So I'm curious what this 500 calorie chocolate bar is??

• kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I must have chocolate. I buy the Dove dark chocolate promises individually wrapped squares. 42 calories a piece. I break each one in to quarters and let it melt slowly in my mouth rather than chewing it up. By the time I'm done with all four pieces my craving is usually satisfied.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way. Yes, your taller friends get more calories to play with. They also get to be hungrier to match, so they don't really get it easier.

Besides, if you're really unhappy with the calorie limits you're set, get out and be more active. Either as part of daily life or deliberate exercise, doesn't matter.

My uncle is pretty short. Shorter than I am by a hair, and I'm just shy of 5'3". Weighs about 130, lean and pretty decently muscular. The man eats a good amount and he's not careful about what he eats, either. Whataburgers, all-you-can eat Chinese buffet with the plate full, Hungry Man frozen dinners, you get the idea. But he's active and I believe he skips breakfast which lets his lunch and dinner be bigger. Every meal is not large. He's on the move most of the time, high intensity exercise at least 45min a day, working on somewhat physical projects the rest of the time - think car mechanic. Oh, and did I mention he's in his 70's?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1. my boyfriend is 6'1.

i eat 1500 calories a day. he gets 3000 of the Mother truckers.

it is what it is.....

LOLOLOLOL
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The relative calorie intake of the small and short isn't "fair," but as someone up thread pointed out, bigger people get hungry when eating in a deficit as well, even when they get to eat more food- that additional food still leaves them wanting more because of their increased calorie need.

Sure, they potentially get to put more bites in their mouth, but overall I think what people said about maximizing what you eat is true. Eating twice as much chocolate will not generally make you twice as happy. Taste the chocolate- everyone can have chocolate, including my 4'11, slim mother- just don't eat 500 calories worth.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are surprised by a 500 calorie chocolate bar? Lindt, Vosges, etc...

Anyway. I'm short. I'm bulking and gaining weight VERY easily on 2000 calories. It's just my reality. I could either move more or deal with it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are surprised by a 500 calorie chocolate bar? Lindt, Vosges, etc...

Anyway. I'm short. I'm bulking and gaining weight VERY easily on 2000 calories. It's just my reality. I could either move more or deal with it.

I was surprised by it because a 1 serving Snickers is 250. And a Lindt bar is 2.5 servings at 190/serving (looking at the sea salt variety.) I'd never think to complain I couldn't eat 2+ candy bars at a pop while losing weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I was surprised by it because a 1 serving Snickers is 250. And a Lindt bar is 2.5 servings at 190/serving (looking at the sea salt variety.) I'd never think to complain I couldn't eat 2+ candy bars at a pop while losing weight.

Oh...I guess I don't usually buy a chocolate bar unless I can eat about all of it. Which is why I somehow learned to like the Lindt 99% cacao.