Doc is giving me 3 months to drop weight or i will be put on meds for diebeties and hb pressure

Options
So I have changed my diet a bit only white meat and incorporated lots more veggies.

I can seem to make it to a gym though when I get off work I feel so drained most nights and I work 10am-7pm.

My mourning's are the same cant get out of bed or I start and I decide to lay back down NO ENERGY.

So im looking for maybe some supplements pre workouts that could help and give me a boost.

current weight is 291lbs (316lbs in July 2015 so I did lose some)
5'10''

Doc suggested losing 10-20lbs by my next visit may 2nd

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Since you're pre diabetic, it might be a good idea to drop carbs a bit (i rarely say that). No reason to cut out entire foods or food groups. To lose weight you need to eat less energy (calories) than you burn. There is no requirement to go to the gym to exercise, so don't worry about that, it just comes down to eating less. Exercise is a good way to earn more food if you find yourself hungry all the time.

I'm not surprised you have low energy, most people do when they are overweight.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Can you work out before work? Walking on the treadmill or elliptical?
    Eat lean protein instead of carbs and limit your portions?
    Don't drink soda.
    Cut portions.
    Drink lots of water.
    Good luck!
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice around here, read it and learn like I have been! Your weight loss is going to come primarily from your intake of calories, not gym time. Get a scale and weigh and track EVERYTHING you eat. Figure out your output in calories per day and make sure you are eating less than that (I think the number is 500 cal deficit/day for a 1 pound/week loss). No magic supplements needed. No need to make it to a gym on your busy work days. Can you take a walk on your lunch break? Park a little further from the door or get off a stop early on the bus? Best of luck!
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Losing 10-20 lbs in three months - just follow MFPs calorie goals and you'll be there. Eat good healthy food and your energy will come back. Remember that weight loss starts in the kitchen...not the gym.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    why not try walking in the morning. Park your car a bit further from your job or get off the bus a few stops earlier and walk for twenty minutes. walking can be very pleasant and is excellent exercise when you are just starting out.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my own experience, I got that situation by eating crap. Lots of fast food and prepared garbage. It's the food that was dragging me down. Forget supplements and focus on eating clean. Your energy levels will rise. I am in the same boat as you and I am taking metformin, atorvastatin (lipitor) and a blood pressure med. I want to get off all of that if I can. I use a Foreman grill and cook chicken breasts, salmon burgers and turkey burgers from Costco and have a baked sweet potato/veggies/quinoa with it. I love it. It takes a while to get that crap out of your system but you will feel better. Trust me. Hang in there.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At that weight, you can just drop your calories and take walks and you will lose weight by that time no problem. BTW - don't do the supplements. They're not necessary. Just a waste of money.

As long as you stick with it. Plug your stats into this calculator and see what calories you get to eat daily. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The calculator will figure in your exercise (or no exercise) and tell you what you need to eat calorie wise to drop pounds. Might be a good idea to get yourself a food scale too. They come in very handy to help you learn what a proper portion size looks like.

Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    There was a thread in the Fitness forum in which many posters said if they didn't force themselves to exercise, they'd never exercise, but once they get going they are fine.

Many people are mentally tired after work, but not actually physically tired, especially if they have a desk job. What sort of work do you do?

I have more energy in the afternoon and evening if I get some exercise at lunch. Usually I walk, but lately I've been shoveling.

However, for all the benefits of exercise, it's not needed to lose weight - you can do that solely by eating less.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Open your diary to the public and ask for help. People will help you. I was making many mistakes.
    I lost weight by diet alone. Exercise was not necessary.
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    well the past week in a half I have been walking for an hour not power walking or anything just regular pace I guess u can say so that's the only workout I've been getting
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of good food and fitness info on this site, not just for people with diabetes but for everyone.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good job! That's a great start. Start vigilantly tracking your intake, eating less than you expend in a day and the scale will start showing results.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Some very good advice here

A good mental attitude helps, although it can be difficult to get into it.
    Remember, you as a person, can do anything, you are capable of anything you put your mind to, you just have to want it enough.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen, not with exercise (though you need to exercise for the health benefits- which will also assist in almost every medical condition out there - including lowering the risk for heart disease and diabetes, which you are already high risk for)

put your details into mfp. learn how to weigh and log food properly.

exercise as much as you can- even if that is a slow walk,its better than nothing.
  • mikejdeleon85
    Options
    Open your diary to the public and ask for help. People will help you. I was making many mistakes.
    I lost weight by diet alone. Exercise was not necessary.

yeah 2 years ago I went from 330lbs (aug.2012) to 260lbs (march 2013) all by eating no exercising .

But between Sept. 2013 to July 2014 I got back up to 300lbs by bringing all the bad things back in my diet due to the relationship I was in it was always fast food and take out

so now i'm here again starting over
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes and my blood sugars are well controlled with my 3 month A1C at 5.3 always. If you don't know what that means, it simply says my diabetes is controlled remarkably. Okay, all that to say this. Everyone here will have different advice for you and although some may be good, I've already read some that I would run away from - fast! See a nutritionist. Most hospitals have nutrition classes for those inclined toward diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral if you need it. Find a class that will give you all of the information you need. And then, do what they say and not what your neighbor or your aunt's employer's secretary's mother-in-law says (if you get the message). Best wishes to you!!!
  • mikejdeleon85
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There was a thread in the Fitness forum in which many posters said if they didn't force themselves to exercise, they'd never exercise, but once they get going they are fine.

Many people are mentally tired after work, but not actually physically tired, especially if they have a desk job. What sort of work do you do?

I have more energy in the afternoon and evening if I get some exercise at lunch. Usually I walk, but lately I've been shoveling.

However, for all the benefits of exercise, it's not needed to lose weight - you can do that solely by eating less.

warehouse supervisor so as far as being on my feet and physical work out of my 8hrs maybe 4-6 hrs daily
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You will never magically have energy. Go and work out anyway.
  • mikejdeleon85
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    At that weight, you can just drop your calories and take walks and you will lose weight by that time no problem. BTW - don't do the supplements. They're not necessary. Just a waste of money.

As long as you stick with it. Plug your stats into this calculator and see what calories you get to eat daily. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The calculator will figure in your exercise (or no exercise) and tell you what you need to eat calorie wise to drop pounds. Might be a good idea to get yourself a food scale too. They come in very handy to help you learn what a proper portion size looks like.

Good luck!

thanks I will check out this link and a food scale has been on my mind
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Rest when you can. Love yourself enough to put yourself first. As life giving and comforting as food is, it can and does turn against you. Food is not your friend. I encourage you to post and reach out to as many people as you can here because you will learn so much you will be amazed. I don't have as much to lose as you do I only have a 37 pounds but believe me it is very very difficult to change habits and break patterns of comfort eating. Reach out every day to the people here. And whatever you do don't give up and don't go it alone. Good luck. And don't worry about getting to the gym now or not. Try to find something that gives you some cardio exercise. Maybe you can start by walking. And you might ask your doctor if he feels you are a candidate for prescribing a very well studied diet pill. Just to get you over the edge short term to get you started. My late husband was a physician and he was not a real fan of diet pills but in some cases it was a benefit for some of his patients to get them started.