A memory about your father

Options
Losing2Live69
Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
My dad adopted me when I was 6 after my mom got remarried. He did so after my biological dad got killed in a motorcycle accident at the age of 24. My adoptive dad has always raised me at his own. I have never referred to him as my step-dad. To me he is and always will be daddy. One of my favorite memories of him are....him sitting on the floor leaning against the couch. I sat behind me and put little plastic multicolored barrettes in his hair. He also let me put bright red lipstick, blush and eyeshadow on him. I loved when he let me do this. Its amazing how some memories of my dad are so clear. I can remember everything about the house we lived in then. I love you dad...I thank you for teaching me about unconditional love.:heart:

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I remember how worried he was as we rushed to the hospital. I remember lighting fire crackers with him when I was little. I remember sitting in the garage and pounding nails into a block of wood while he was out there, and him smiling and helping me start a dozen new ones when I completely smashed the others into an unrecognizable lump. And I remember him trying to draw his last breath and use it to say I love you. Miss you a ton Dad. Thanks for showing me how to be a good father. Love ya. :'-)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I did not have any brothers. It was just me and my sister. My dad included me in everything he did. It did not matter that I was girl. I learned to work on cars, fly model airplanes and ride motorcycles. I learned to weld, rebuild carburetors, fish and shoot. My dad worked road construction while I was growing up. On Saturdays, my sister and I go to take turns going to work with him. I am glad that my dad not chose to leave us out because we were girls. With all the cooking, sewing and things my mom taught me and all the cool "guy" stuff my dad taught me, makes me a well rounded person who can cook you a gourmet dinner and fix your car all in the same day.
  • Lou05
    Lou05 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My dad adopted me when I was 6 after my mom got remarried. He did so after my biological dad got killed in a motorcycle accident at the age of 24. My adoptive dad has always raised me at his own. I have never referred to him as my step-dad. To me he is and always will be daddy. One of my favorite memories of him are....him sitting on the floor leaning against the couch. I sat behind me and put little plastic multicolored barrettes in his hair. He also let me put bright red lipstick, blush and eyeshadow on him. I loved when he let me do this. Its amazing how some memories of my dad are so clear. I can remember everything about the house we lived in then. I love you dad...I thank you for teaching me about unconditional love.:heart:

i too agree with this my dad died when i was 12 and i have the most amazing step dad i could wish for always there when things got arrr growing up and still there now that i have my own family.xxx
  • Luvlee85
    Luvlee85 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One is my most vivid and funny memories about my father occurred when I was about 5 or 6. I was in love with my cabbage patch doll and one day my dad was going to the store. So I put her in the back seat so she could go on a ride with her grandpa. Well my father happen to get into a car accident while he was out. It was nothing serious just a fender bender I think. But when my mom took us up to the scene of the accident, there was my daddy talking to the police holding my baby doll as if it was a real baby. I was so worried about the both of them but he assured me they were both okay. When I think about getting married and starting a family, I look at my father as a great example. I love my daddy his my best friend and the person who is most like me in this world. I am a daddy;s girl for life!!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I remember my Dad as being quite athletic. Played football in high school, on local baseball teams when we were young, etc.
    Anyhoo, he use to challenge us kids to race against him in the back yard. He'd beat us too! :laugh:
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I remember when I told my dad I wanted to go in the Navy - Not really a good conversation at first, especially being the baby of the family. I was only 17 and needed to have both of my parents sign giving me permission (or their approval), my mom signed with no questions asked. My dad on the other hand, not so much. I explained why I was going in service and that really wasnt good enough for him. Needless to say I ended up having to wait until my 18th birthday (which was only 5 months away) before I could join the Navy. I didn't understand why he didn't want me to go. I was really upset with him for a while about that (I learned to get over it)

When my dad past away my mother told me why he wouldn't sign the papers. She said "not only being the baby, but being the baby girl, your dad wants to hold on to you as long as possible. When we adopted you, your dad made a promise to never let anything happen to you, and he was trying to make sure he kept that promise."

Now having kids of my own, I totally understand how he felt at the time!!!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    One time I got caught smoking in high school. The school expelled me until I brought in a parent. My dad went to school with me (we actually walked there!) and he didn't get mad at me. He told me he wouldn't tell my mom if I promised to be good.
    Well, I don't know about the 'good' part dad, but I did finally quit smoking April1, 2010 after 30 years.

My dad was the best. Every kid on the block loved him. He was so funny.
    He respected me. He never, ever raised a hand to hit me although I never, ever wanted to disappoint him. He let me know when I did and I did not like it!

I miss my father so much. Those of you who have great dads that are still with you...you are lucky.

Happy Fathers Day!
  • nanaBeth55
    nanaBeth55 Posts: 24
    Options
    My Dad died at the early age of 50. I was 18 yrs. While I have individual memories of him, my most vivid memory is of his smile and chuckle. One of the effects of serving on a ship during WWII was that he was very quiet and composed. Loudness wasn't a good trait when the ships were running silent for fear of subs. He was a medic and was tending to wounded. He never talked about those times, but his actions were definitely governed by them. He had a calmness that was very comforting. I miss him still today. He loved his family and would have adored his grand children.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I remember my dad letting my sister and I ride our horses down the back, unpaved country roads for miles and miles and meeting up in Mumford (a tiny farming community) at the general store to buy us old fashioned, in the glass bottle cokes. I remember him taking us camping and teaching us to fish. I remember him taking me dove hunting when I wanted to learn to hunt and shoot a gun, so I could see a shot gun really does kill, so I am extra cautious and don't shoot myself or anyone else. And my dad is a huge prankster, and I remember him waking up the entire household at my grandmother's on the lake by blowing a duck call at 3am. He had been out trout-lining for catfish in the swampy lake, and my grandmother was suppose to go with him. She didn't wake up so he did that to get her up! I love my dad, he has always let me know I was special and loved. He taught me to whistle, and to pray. He taught me to work hard, and to play harder. Everyone should be as lucky as I was to have a daddy like mine.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This one memory defines how I think of my Dad.

I was maybe 6 years old. We were standing outside on a beautiful sunny day surrounded by Police Officers in their dress uniforms. My Dad stepped forward and crisply popped his trumpet up and began to play "Taps". I saw him cry. I never saw my Dad cry and never have since. Later when the song was over and he returned I told him that was my favorite song that he played on the trumpet (as a 6 year old reasoning I thought this would make him feel better). He turned to me and said it was his least favorite because of what it meant and he described to me what was happening. I didn't understand at all then but now that moment is the clearest definition of who my Dad is and why I will always respect him.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to spend that much time with my dad when i was a child,... he worked all the time,..building hospitols, and schools in Detroit. I remember waiting out on the front stoop to hear his truck coming down the road everyday. When he did have free time we spent it well playing baseball, (he and i, with my 3 sisters)... having water fights (literally dragging the hose in the house to drench each other)...LOL I remember he would stick his finger up my nose, and then try to stick it in my mouth for a laugh~ but i found it so annoying:)
  • Fayegill
    Fayegill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I remember sitting high on his shoulders, taking me to buy my first boom box, going for a tour of my new university then a pint to celebrate, taking me to Irealand after graduating from teachers college, BBQ' at my cottage and cuddling him in bed when he was sick. I took my dad to chemo everyday and let him sleep on my couch when he was sick. I took the last 6 weeks of his life off work to take care of him him and help him to pass. I really remember and miss my dad's big bear hugs, scratchy mustache kisses and how proud he was of me and my sisters. I miss you dad and thank you for all that you taught me. Happy Fahters Day!
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    These stories are so sweet! I have so many wonderful memories of my dad and am blessed to be able to make new ones every day. I get my love of reading from my daddy. When I was little, he would lay in bed and read every night. I would crawl up in the bed and curl up next to him with my head on his chest. He would let me read the "big words." That lasted until I noticed a word I hadn't heard before and asked what it meant. Now I know why he panicked, it was a really bad word!! From that point, I brought my own books to our reading time :)

I am the baby and the only girl. I am very proud to say that I am 100% a Daddy's girl.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!!!

I actually relayed this to my sister, mom & aunt yesterday. My dad was a little guy with a big round belly. I think I was in elementary school when it happened about 6 or 7. My dad was always tinkering under the Hood of our van named the "green machine " . So he's outside with is Doral hanging out his mouth and I walk up and say "Daddy, when are you gonna have your baby?" After it sunk in what I said he laughed and told me boys don't have babies. I didn't believe him until months later when there wasn't a little brothers or sister for me to play with LOL!!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying reading these! I have lots of good memories of my Daddy, but some of my favorites were from the year I was 7. The factory he worked in at the time closed, so he stayed home for a while with my sister and me. We tease him about being "Mr. Mom", but he was actually really great at it. He made homecooked meals every day (my dad's a great cook), drove us to and from school, and went to our parent-teacher conferences and after school events. He took us fishing and shopping during the summer. And he sure kept us busy! We helped him paint the house and the garage, redecorate the living room, work on cars, and do all kinds of work around the house and yard. But of all the memories I have from that time, the one that stands out the most was when we were working outside and I got a painful splinter. I wanted to leave it in my hand until my mom got home from work because I was absolutely certain that dad's couldn't get splinters out without hurting you. I was convinced that only moms could do things like that. LOL My dad turned out to be better at splinter removal than my mom. He had rough callouses from so many years of working with his hands, but I can distinctly remember how gentle he was. I always loved my Daddy, but that was the moment I learned to trust him unconditionally. And from that day on whenever I would get a splinter I would go to Dad, not Mom. LOL I've told him many times, but maybe I should call him today and tell him one more time what a blessing in disguise that year was.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite childhood memories with my Dad is sitting out front of the house on the picnic table and snipping green beans fresh from the garden. That, and him telling us jokes on the way back from his house every other weekend :)
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    My father worked long and hard when I was growing up. 12 hr days 6 days a week sometimes 7days. But when he was home at night and was able to spend time with me he would crawl into my fort that I made between the two couches and sit for hours playing cards and teaching my different card games and eatting snacks with me. Or if it was a weekend he would always take me with him no matter what he was doing, going to his brothers and sisters house or fixing his car or just shopping. I was his youngest child out of five kids and when I was 5 and 6 my siblings were already in high school or had families. I got alot of time with my dad and he would tell me stories of when he was young and things that only life teaches. I love him and am glad he is still in my life and that he was still able to walk me down the aisle for my wedding.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My dad taugh me the meaning of a working hard, being on time(all though I struggle with this at times still), and put others first. He taugh me how to enjoy the little things in life and how to laugh at myself. Hw taught me to love travel and to be ope to the world. He could go anywhere and run into someone who knew him and was glad to. He never had any sons so I filled that void by playing football, loving baseball, joining the Air Force (like dad), and being a big daredevil.

I have worked my whole life to make him proud of me and will do so until my last breath.

I lost him to a brain tumor three years ago and not a day goes by that I don't miss him deeply I have his picture on my night stand and he is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night. A good night is went he's in my dreams because that's the only way we can be together now. He was with me last night, Happy Fathers Day, Dad. I love you.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Dang blurry monitor......My dad was 50 when I was born and I never once thought he was old when I was a kid. He was a farmer all his life. He just barely missed being in WW1 because they were not quite to the point of taking the last man left on a farm. Apparently they needed farmers about as badly as they needed soldiers. He turned 18 in 1918 when the war ended.

I don't remember playing much with him but I was with him a lot being a go-fer and listening to his stories about back when. I heard many fascinating stories about rural life at the end of the 19th century and start of the 20th. I learned how to husk corn by hand, bale hay and get it in the haymow (attic of a barn). I know how good fresh unpasteurized milk tastes and how to get it out of a cow. I can still smell the warm yeasty, slightly alcoholic aroma of the ensulage (chopped green corn) on a cold winter day when I would climb into the silo to fork down food for the cattle.

His main pleasures were the Detroit Tigers and boxing. I watched many ball games and Friday night fights on our fuzzy black and white t.v. with him, sharing a bowl of popcorn.

He lived to see all four of his grand children and two great grands. He passed at home, in his sleep, just two weeks short of 98. Thanks Dad for all the good times and life lessons I had at your side. Now I gotta clean this dang monitor...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I remember how he would play on the floor with us. There was 5 of us so it got pretty loud, but it was always fun.