1235»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So I am giving up ice cream (along with my family) and beer (gulp) for Lent.

So you can guess how my Fat Tuesday will be conducted. ;)

I never thought about giving up my family for Lent... that seems like something worth considering! ;)

It was a tough decision and the kids were visibly upset. o:)

Although if I gave up the kids I would probably not miss the wine as much...
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    My pancakes (à la Delia) were 97 kCals each, including a teaspoon of sugar and lemon juice, they're not *that* high calorie (I had three

Snap! I made Delia's recipe too and they were lush.
    Edit: I went classic - lemon and sugar.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Apparently we celebrate neither Pancake day nor Mardi Gras here in Denver. (Despite having a high catholic population). My mom wants to go to Hacienda.

"How do you celebrate pancake day?"

"Low Quality Tex-Mex"

"..."
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    So I am giving up ice cream (along with my family) and beer (gulp) for Lent.

So you can guess how my Fat Tuesday will be conducted. ;)

I never thought about giving up my family for Lent... that seems like something worth considering! ;)

It was a tough decision and the kids were visibly upset. o:)

Although if I gave up the kids I would probably not miss the wine as much...

Would you give up the gelato?

Heck I'm not Catholic, I just enjoy the pancakes.

Cheers, h.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    By the way, England is a protestant country, the observance of Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Lent etc are not thought of as a particularly Roman Catholic thing here.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I made banana pancakes for my partner, they are great and with only two ingredients were diet friendly for me! I topped mine with some agave nectar and berries to keep them fairly low calorie - http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-2-ingredient-banana-pancakes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-218658

Yum! Those sound awesome. I'll be giving them a try this weekend!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    theres a day for pancakes?

breakfast here i come ......

I already had pizza for breakfast. I feel like I missed a great opportunity.

It seems to be an Episcopalian thing too. And non-Catholics are welcome to receive ashes tomorrow, so why not pancakes? ;-)

Yay! I love pancakes. :heart:

yes, i saw a sign outside an Episcopalian church on my way home for a pancake dinner tonight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The whole King Cake/Mardi gras thing kinda baffles me.

In France King Cake (Galette des Rois) is eaten on January 6th. It's to celebrate the Epiphany. It has nothing to do with Mardi Gras. It's a puff pastry cake with frangipane (almond paste) in the middle and a little toy that someone has to find (and they get to wear the crown). Also probably my favorite food ever.

We do the same thing in Latina America, also on January 6th.

Is Carnival a whole season where you party and eat King Cake throughout, too? Or do y'all just party? :grin: We do the baby inside the cake thing to figure out who throws the next party. Don't y'all have coins inside instead?

I think King Cake is too sweet, honestly, and that's pretty scary considering my sweet tooth!

Crepes, OTOH, are a staple meal around my house. It's cool that the batter is so thin, so it makes great holders for savory stuff and also great for fruit, sour cream and cheese, etc. Oh, and for just melted chocolate, of course! That's actually one of my favorite desserts (one you see a lot in Hungary where Dad and I picked that up).

It goes for about a week. It's different in different countries.

Brasil is the one that everybody knows about--they have huge parties with decadently-dressed samba dancers. Each dancer belongs to a "school" of dancers and there are many traditions associated with each one.

In Ecuador, the big thing to celebrate Carnival is throwing flour (white/wheat flour) and throwing water. Unfortunately this starts LONG before Tuesday. One time I had some kids try to drop BOTTLES of water on me from a high balcony. I was dressed in a business suit at the time and not amused. It's kind of a game to hunt people down and pelt them with flour and/or water.

In Argentina, Monday and Tuesday are national holidays. There are parades, and what I would call "fruit and flower" festivals, as it is harvest time there. There are some events where people wear masks or disguises, but it is less about dancing there than in Brasil. A famous one is in Gualeguaychú. In Buenos Aires, each neighborhood has murgas...they are kind of like social groups that promote dressing up and playing music in the streets...similar to what happens in New Orleans, but a bit more tame and family-oriented. There is lots of percussion.

The best and most interesting Carnival traditions are in places where there is a lot of African influence. On the surface, Argentina does not *seem* like one of these places, but it is.

Now I am wondering what happens in Mexico for Carnival...I have never been there this time of year. I am guessing that there is drinking and that fireworks are involved.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had totally forgotten about Pancake Tuesday until my coworker mentioned it at 4:30pm. I immediately rearranged dinner plans!

So stuffed now after a delicious 300 calorie zucchini pancake. Skinnytaste's recipes always saves the day! (and this one is a keeper)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    OK, so I'm assuming those who have never heard of it are either
    a) not catholic, or
    b) from cultures who celebrate in a different way.
    I am assuming you've all heard of Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is also Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday. Day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Catholic Lent.

Christian...not necessarily Catholic. :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat pancakes.