Food Addiction

Options
Has anyone ever struggled with a food addiction? Goodness it's difficult. I feel like I was so strong yesterday, I went to the gym and did HITT on the treadmill, and then came home and ate a salad with a couple slices of pizza( I usually eat 4-6 slices a sitting). Then today I just ate all the food. I couldn't stop going to the fridge or the pantry. It was a compulsive act. I couldn't stop. I yi yi I'm just frustrated.

For those who've struggled, what have you done to help your addiction?

Replies

• djackel93
    djackel93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was able to get off the sugar and carb cravings by changing from a glucose based diet to a "ketogenic" based diet and it has helped greatly.

Check out "primal blueprint" or paleo if you're interested in learning more. I eat a ton of veggies, a moderate amount of fruit, healthy fats (olive oil, avocados, olives, etc.), and a moderate amount of protein (fish, poultry, beef, eggs). No calorie counting. Before going to the new lifestyle, I would eat handfuls of chocolate chips in between meals, and other cheats throughout the day so even though I was jogging I couldn't lose weight and kept craving more carbs.

By eating this way, my body is satisfied and the cravings have stopped.

I hope you find the help you need. If you haven't tried this way of eating, I encourage you to research it and then go for it!

Take care, Jessica.
  • mollyallen89
    mollyallen89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find bread products to be incredibly addictive. Dont leave me alone with cheezits, garlic rolls, cookies etc. I find that avoiding these foods at all costs vs trying to moderate is the answer for me personally. The longer I go without eating them, the less I crave them. For me, having 1 slice of pizza is like an alcoholic just having one glass of wine. Not really possible.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    See Dr. Phil
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is it craving or a desire for specific food or just the feeling that you couldn't stop eating?

It's probably habit -- you are used to eating at those times or maybe using eating as a way to procrastinate other things you need to do or some such -- or else a reaction to the fact you are dieting (sometimes we overcompensate because of the fear of deprivation), or a combination of the two.

I think you can deal with the deprivation reaction, if that's part of it, by making sure you have a plan that will keep you satisfied. Don't cut too low on the calories, make sure you plan in filling, satisfying meals (and usually having some protein and eating foods you enjoy helps), and plan on a regular schedule. If you think eating more often will help, plan calories out that way (and plan ahead). If three meals (or the like) works better, plan on that. When you want to eat, remind yourself that you will be eating a delicious meal in just a few hours, and can wait.

I found that once the old pattern was broken I stopped wanting to eat all the time, but at first I let myself eat low calorie foods (raw vegetables) in-between meals. I stopped needing to eat anything after less than a week.

Some other ideas:

If it makes it hard or makes you think about food all the time and you are home during the day, consider getting rid of the foods you aren't planning to eat at your meals and easy snacking foods in general or at least the ones most tempting. Have your meals as easy as possible (ingredients on hand, premake what you can) while increasing the barriers to other foods (much harder to eat cookies all day if you'd have to bake them first).

Maybe put out and make available stuff you don't mind snacking on, like cut-up raw vegetables and, perhaps, some berries. Log these in advance.

I found Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating and Charles Duhrigg's Power of Habit helpful in understanding how our minds work with stuff like this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.

These three things are also helpful for me (I am often sleep-deprived, and the worse that is, the more likely I am to have a difficult day).

If you have a time when you feel like going to the kitchen every few minutes, consider going for a walk or doing a workout instead. (Also it can be helpful to journal and not to allow yourself to eat mindlessly while doing something else.)
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Going wheat free, high protein moderate fat and low carb helps me. Its very hard at first but once the cravings are gone I feel so much better, more energy and better sleep and a lot more self control. If you cant control yourself then you may have a particular food intolerance that is causing you to be addicted to whatever it is. Diabetics crave sugar even pre diabetics can have issues too. The books 'wheat belly' and 'the blood sugar solution' have helped me so much in identifying certain foods that trigger me into addictive behavours. Everyone is different some people thrive on high carb diets while others thrive on ketogenic diets. It has taken me forever to find what suits me best and doesnt leave me starving or craving. Eating lots of veg or drinking it in a nutribullet makes me super full and It stops me from craving.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Staying away from any type of bread, pasta white carbs etc helps too as they are very inflammatory and addictive and spike blood sugars. Sugar interacts with dopamine receptors in the brain just like cocaine and it is just as addictive if not more addictive.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Twice a year I go on a juice fast for 3-7 days. It does a great job of resetting your stomach to proper portion sizes, resets the taste buds so you're more receptive to healthy foods, and it even resets my alcohol and spice tolerance. It truly is like a reset button. As a bonus, you'll lose a few lbs!

Check out Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It really is a good watch, even if you don't end up juicing.
  • michaelgannon313
    michaelgannon313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever struggled with a food addiction? Goodness it's difficult. I feel like I was so strong yesterday, I went to the gym and did HITT on the treadmill, and then came home and ate a salad with a couple slices of pizza( I usually eat 4-6 slices a sitting). Then today I just ate all the food. I couldn't stop going to the fridge or the pantry. It was a compulsive act. I couldn't stop. I yi yi I'm just frustrated.

For those who've struggled, what have you done to help your addiction?

I dont know how you plan on not being hungry if thats what youre eating after a workout. If youre gonna work out you need to eat right and fuel your body properly. Youre always gonna crash and relapse and eat all the tasty bad stuff if youre killing yourself in the gym and then not looking after your nutrition properly afterwards. Long story short, ditch the pizza. Have it as a Friday cheat meal or something.

And if you do still feel the need to snack, look up some healthy snack ideas so you dont go binging on stuff that'll ruin any progress you made.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I find bread products to be incredibly addictive. Dont leave me alone with cheezits, garlic rolls, cookies etc. I find that avoiding these foods at all costs vs trying to moderate is the answer for me personally. The longer I go without eating them, the less I crave them. For me, having 1 slice of pizza is like an alcoholic just having one glass of wine. Not really possible.

This is SO me!! I have a love/hate relationship with garlic bread!! I love to eat it but my body hates to digest it...lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with real addiction and can tell you for a fact food is not addictive.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It has been almost 17 years since I have had a binge. When I look back on my younger years and remember the self talk that I engaged in to give myself permission I remember that I would always engage in bargaining with myself in order to give myself permission to binge. I would say things like, I'll fast tomorrow, or I will start only eating 1000 calories tomorrow. Of course tomorrow would come and I would give myself an other excuse to postpone taking care of myself and on and on and on... For me, I had to get clear about reality, stop lying to myself, and live in the moment. When is the best time to start taking care of me? NOW. When do I take responsibility? NOW. At that point I stopped binge eating and lost quite a bit of weight. Although I attributed my success to Phentermine at the time, I can now see that it was really about me taking responsibility. The Phentermine didn't make me count calories, I made me count the calories. And now it is just a habit. I wish you luck!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is a daily struggle and it is a constant battle. My house right now is loaded with Girl Scout cookies. I restrained myself and had two. It could have easily been the whole box. I distracted myself before I went back into the kitchen by jumping in the shower. Chewing gum helps me a lot too. I won today but tomorrow is a whole new day. I always think about food, it sucks!
  • michaelgannon313
    michaelgannon313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You gotta make the choice, whether you wanna make a real difference to your life or whether you wanna just keep complaining about the crap food youre choosing to eat, switch to healthy snacks like a few carrots and you can eat until youre stuffed.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    If my house were loaded with Girl Scout cookies I would be white knuckle mode right now... I have banished all things addictive from my home. No way could I have Girl Scout cookies in the house...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I've struggled with real addiction and can tell you for a fact food is not addictive.

Yeah same...

I think we all love indulging in delicious food. I could easily eat through the pantry and fridge at any time. But I made sure my willpower over rides my need to scoff everything in sight. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I just say "stuff it" and eat loads until I'm completely full to the gills, but what stops me most of the time is the regret and annoyance with myself I feel the next day... I keep that feeling in the forefront of my mind when I feel like pigging out.

ETA: If you feel like bingeing pre- log it all first. Seeing all those calories may be enough to put you off.
  • KNewer88
    KNewer88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've found that bumping my protein up and cutting my carbs back to under 150g a day has helped tremendously with cravings.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I'm not sure what clicks inside our minds that causes us to view some things as impossible to resist and leave others by the wayside. I have a bottle of red wine sitting on my kitchen counter left over from Christmas festivities. The thing does not tempt me in the least. I have a bathroom waste basket that contains 12 Qysima tablets that I threw away almost 2 weeks ago. No temptation at all...I have a pack of cigarettes in my freezer saved for a certain guest who smokes when they visit. Again, it doesn't phase me. But chocolate mint Girl Scout cookies could very well be my undoing. >:) I'm sure of it!