5 or 6 day gym schedule

Options
Hello:)
I'm needing some help making a gym workout schedule...I need something that incorporates cardio daily and toning...idk which parts of the body to workout on the same day...I'm pear shaped if that helps...my problem areas are my arms(flabby) my butt and legs..and my stomach...and back...well I guess everything lol..but I want to make sure that with the rest of my weightloss journey I can get rid of flab and look good in shorts and stuff...I'm terrified that I'm gonna have loose skin at the end of this...but I hope that's not the case since I'm still young...if you could help me find a good chart from the Internet or whatever that would be great. Thanks:)

~Alisha

Replies

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and your comfort level as to what to recommend. For me, I went to the gym and messed around with the weight machines for a couple of months until I worked up the courage to go to the free weights section. Cardio and conditioning are definitely needed, but strength training is what is going to give you the strong underlying form as you lose. For internet resources, there is Bret Contreras, Stronglifts, Starting Strength....And you don't have to jump in and do everything. Google is great for finding other strength training programs. Don't put a lot of thought into "for women" because women and men don't really need to train that differently. Lifting like a man certainly won't make you look like a man.

All that said, I would start with Bret Contreras.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    To lose body fat you need a calorie deficit. For "toning" which I'm taking as muscle building you need a program you can make your own but if you're a beginner you're probably better off finding a program. Start at bodybuilding.com and find one that works well for your goals/time/equipment.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "toning" is building muscle and losing fat. you need to eat in a deficit or at maintenance, eat protein and resistance train.
  • alishadunham94
    alishadunham94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone:) I've already lost around 50 lbs...and I go to the gym but I never really set up a workout plan I would just go and do cardio and choose weight machines that I felt like doing for the day...I'm staying within my deficit of losing 2 lbs per week (1500 calories) but I want to get more serious with my weightloss since it's the nearing the end of my weightloss journey...thanks for the input:)
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Thanks everyone:) I've already lost around 50 lbs...and I go to the gym but I never really set up a workout plan I would just go and do cardio and choose weight machines that I felt like doing for the day...I'm staying within my deficit of losing 2 lbs per week (1500 calories) but I want to get more serious with my weightloss since it's the nearing the end of my weightloss journey...thanks for the input:)

I would defiantly start a lifting routine now. The machines aren't bad (even thoigh everyone acts like they are the worst thing you can do). The problem with them though is they only work a very isolated muscle. For instance the leg extension only works your quads vs a squat which really works your whole upper leg.

I would definitely find a program though. If you want to make your own I can give you some tips. But you're better off finding a program then making your own. (At least as a beginner)

Great job on the weight loss! Lifting doesnt really help you lose weight but it'll help retain muscle which in turn helps you look "tone" find a good workout program that you can stick with and keep up with the diet and cardio! Goodluck.
  • misspeachey9
    misspeachey9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found that incorporating weights into my training has made a huge difference in shaping and toning my body ( I am also a pear shape and used to hate the size my hips) I break my weight training up into major muscle groups.
    Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Core and stretching
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders and Biceps
    Friday - Core and Stretching
    Saturday - Cardio (interval training on the step machine)
    Sunday - Rest
    I tend to research different exercises online and aim for 3 sets of 8 reps using both the free weights and machines.
    I lift as heavy as I can (so I can definitely feel it on the 8th rep) It is really important to listen to your body and make sure you are not overdoing it.
  • alishadunham94
    alishadunham94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I will have to try this
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Like a snowflake or a fingerprint. Each of us humans male and female are very different/unique. So it's important to find what makes you happy

However let me show you what my workouts look like to give you some inspiration to create your own schedule! (If some of these are unfamiliar just Google them... I'll provide one or two examples of each muscle group)

Im a beginner but For example :

GROUP 1
    Biceps - bicep curls, concentrated curls, super 7s
    Back - lat pull down, dumbell row, seated row
    Forearms - forearm curls
    Abs - Russian twists, sit ups, plank

Group 2
    Chest - bench press, cable crossover, dumbell press (incline,flat,decline)
    Triceps - tricep extension, skullcrushers
    Shoulders - lateral raise, shoulder raises
    Abs

Group 3 LEGS
    Quads - quad extension, squats, leg press
    Hamstrings - hamstring curl, squats
    Calves - calf raises
    Gluten (Butt Muscles) - squats
    Abs

So an example week looks like this now

Monday - Cardio 30 mins to 1 hour
    Tuesday - Group 1 plus abs (1 hour)
    Wednesday - REST
    Thursday - Group 2 plus abs
    Friday - REST
    Saturday- Cardio 30 - 60 mins
    Sunday - Group 3

Monday - REST

And so on .... listen to your body but don't be afraid to find new levels :) Find a workout partner to inspire you :)

This is just a quick example I made on the spot so play around with it. And I find it very much beneficial to record all of my schedule and write any notes on how I felt after/during the workout and yeah just have fun with it!!

This schedule works for me. It may be different for someone else! Start with easy movements like lifting weights : bicep curls, lat pull down, tricep extension, calf raises, hamstring curl etc... etc...
  • LavonialisaGardner
    Options
    :)
  • ironhajee
    Options
    ^^^OP Please don't do the above.

Try Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW). Great programs with progressive resistance using mostly full body movements like squats, deadlift, and bench press. Don't screw around doing isolation exercises like bicep curls. Such a waste of time and energy. Work on the big muscles, and hit them with the 3 big lifts. Follow one of the programs I mentioned and you'll be amazed at the results. Cardio isn't necessary with these programs. It's optional, but not necessary. Good luck.

Your insight is appreciated however this has been a highly effective workout for me. Starting with the style I mentioned is a precursor to move into the compound lifts you mention. With the focus of mixing it up at the gym. This will allow the OP to work on proper technique on simple movements before getting into more complex compound movements.

I have also suggested squats and bench press in my previous posting. This has worked for years and years for people and as the saying goes.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it "

@alishadunham94 find what works for you. The previously mentioned work (to repeat myself for those who don't read well) is mainly just some insight into my daily routine. I am currently training for an Ironman Triathlon so my schedules have alot more cardio based workouts. And let me just stress how important cardio is. Nothing quite beats that Sunday Run!
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Isolated exercises are great to incorporate into a workout plan! Although yes I agree you should also include compound lifts in your workout.

@alishadunham94 find a workout program that you like and works for you, research different options. Just make sure it's a beginners program. Also I wouldn't recommend making your own program until your a bit more experienced.

Also your goal right now is losing weight. So the most important thing is being in a calorie deficit and cardio will help with that. Lifting is absolutely something you should do to retain more muscle so you can look more "toned" as you drop fat, but once you're at the weight you want then you can really start focusing on building muscle.
  • ironhajee
    Options
    Yes agreed. Both compound and isolation movements have merit!

Lots of useful information in this discussion to get you started!
  • ironhajee
    Options
    @GuitarJerry Problem? I'm sorry but I must strongly object. There is no problem. My methods have given me proven results in the gym and overall fitness. I've become faster stronger and more aerobically and anarobically efficient. However there is no one size fits all and your methods will also prove to be valuable in an individual's fitness endavour.

Thank you for your feedback. As I do appreciate this... I have done my research and for me personally (that part is important) I like to organize my pull muscles in separate workouts from my push muscles

Therefore

Group 1 - pull muscles
    Biceps
    Back
    Forearms

Group 2 - push muscles
    Chest
    Shoulder
    Triceps

Group 3 - Leg Muscles
    Quads
    Hamstrings
    Calves
    Glutes

I am training for endurance sport so I also have to balance this training with high volumes of Swimming, Cycling, and Running.

In addition I also incorporate compound movements such as squats however I believe it crucial to first practise simple movements to PERFECT technique to prevent injury and to build a Foundation of strength.

By splitting my muscle groups into TWO GROUPS - PULL Muscles and PUSH Muscles - Allows me to recover one grouping while I work on the other grouping the next day opening up the ability to maintain consistency in the gym.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hello:)
    I'm needing some help making a gym workout schedule...I need something that incorporates cardio daily and toning...idk which parts of the body to workout on the same day...I'm pear shaped if that helps...my problem areas are my arms(flabby) my butt and legs..and my stomach...and back...well I guess everything lol..but I want to make sure that with the rest of my weightloss journey I can get rid of flab and look good in shorts and stuff...I'm terrified that I'm gonna have loose skin at the end of this...but I hope that's not the case since I'm still young...if you could help me find a good chart from the Internet or whatever that would be great. Thanks:)

~Alisha

Don't be perturbed by the bickering. Once you have more experience decide what you want to do. For now....

The beginner progressive compound lifting programmes are ideal for someone just starting out. You can do them with hand weights and progress to the barbell. That is the beauty of them. You lift what is heavy for you.

They are compound because they hit all the big muscles plus a lot of auxillery and stabilising muscles in a few simple moves.
    Isolation moves hit just one muscle at a time.
    Look at 5x5 programmes, which are 3 alternating days a week. The other days do some cardio.

Start light and concentrate on form first. There are lots of videos that show how to do each lift.

I do AllPro. It is similar to a 5x5 but increases reps (8-12) before weight. My cardio is swimming or the rowing machine. Both are cardio with a minor in resistance work.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    IMO the best programs utilize compound lifts and then also incorporate some isolated exercises. I do agree a good starting point for a beginner is a program that mostly uses compound lifts like @middlehaitch has said. But you don't by any means have to.

An important question that we haven't asked yet is does your gym have barbells/squat racks? Some gyms like planet fitness only have smith machines which won't really allow you to do many of the compound lifts.

Also @GuitarJerry I'm really really curious why you suggest doing pull ups on a push day??? Did you mean push ups?