How to say no to chocolate/sugar! SOS

Options
I am a HUGE chocoholic, and I put about 3 teaspoons of sugar in my cup of tea, along with the inability to hold myself back from other sweets.
Is anyone else like this? How do you motivate yourself to not give in to these alluring monstrosities?!?

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I account for them in my budget. It's all about choices.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fruit in the morning, or a bowl of oats with plenty of fruit. Than I do not crave chocolate, refined sugars or caffeine. I just fill up on whole natural foods. Or you can just count them into your daily intake. It's up to you, if you want to learn how to cut them out, or fit them in.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I just eat it, I count it, and move on..eventually I don't want it.
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict too. I have had some success by still including sweet stuff but going for lower calorie options. I'd never try to cut it all out all at once, that would lead to binging. I suggest you try to use less sugar in drinks and save it for good stuff like chocolate and cookies that will be more satisfying to you sweet tooth. I drink unsweetened ice tea and bubbly flavored water instead of any soda or juice. I know I am going to want a desert in the evening so I make sure to save plenty of calories to cover. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I swapped sugar for artificial sweetener in my coffee....then slowly cut back NOT cut out chocolate
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I still have chocolate every day though!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I budget for them, especially chocolate.
    I did switch to a sweetened non-dairy creamer for my coffee, though, more because of the sat fats I was getting from the whole milk than because of my sugar addiction. You might try switching to a 'fruited' tea, like peach tea, where there's already a little sweet flavor there without adding sugar?
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yeh, once you cut back/stop for just a few days even it kinda becomes gross. I used to be so into Reese's cups, now the sight and smell of them grosses me out. I still have a dark chocolate square or two almost daily, but only really good chocolate. The price keeps me from buying too much. ;)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Willpower.

If you take a step back from the 'giggle giggle sugar addict' mentality you'll realize you aren't addicted. You just like the taste.

If you don't want to use your calories on certain things, don't consume them.

I assume you are a fully grown adult, I'm sure you have the ability to just not do it.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was a sugar addict until about a year ago. It's just a matter of getting better at saying "No"
    I first stopped buying the sugary foods I was addicted to. I never shopped hungry.
    Then I began practicing saying no to the offer.
    Cut down on sugar in your tea bit by bit.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was a serious sugar addict. My husband and I went cold turkey after the holidays to break the endless cycle of needing something sweet after every meal. It was rough for a few weeks but now I can enjoy sweets in small amounts and not feel like I'm losing control when I get a taste. It feels more enjoyable now too.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and eat it pretty often, but I only take a little bit, and put the rest away.
    If you eat balanced meals, incorporate your sweets in your diet, so that you satisfy your craving but don't waste too much calories on it.
    As far as sugar itself goes, I aim to get most of it from fruits and veggies, I never add it to tea or coffee.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am a HUGE chocoholic, and I put about 3 teaspoons of sugar in my cup of tea, along with the inability to hold myself back from other sweets.
    Is anyone else like this? How do you motivate yourself to not give in to these alluring monstrosities?!?

What kind of chocolate are you eating? If something like Milky Way bars, you're not actually getting a lot of chocolate. Try something with a higher chocolate content so you can satisfy your itch with less calories.

I gradually tapered down the sugar in my tea and am now down to 1/2 teaspoon and don't miss the larger quantity.

When I do the following, my sweet tooth is under control:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.

p88z409u0rc0.png
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For the "sugar addicts" ... how many times did you devour a bag of broccoli, a bunch of bananas, or rutabagas to get sugar?

This.
  • alisakorneyeva
    alisakorneyeva Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For the "sugar addicts" ... how many times did you devour a bag of broccoli, a bunch of bananas, or rutabagas to get sugar?

I ate 5 apples in one sitting once to satisfy my sugar necessities. :/
  • alisakorneyeva
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What kind of chocolate are you eating? If something like Milky Way bars, you're not actually getting a lot of chocolate. Try something with a higher chocolate content so you can satisfy your itch with less calories.

I gradually tapered down the sugar in my tea and am now down to 1/2 teaspoon and don't miss the larger quantity.

When I do the following, my sweet tooth is under control:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.

p88z409u0rc0.png

I pretty much eat anything with sugar and chocolate as soon as i see it, but I guess it comes down to mostly milk chocolate.

But this is really great advice! Thank you for your detailed process and your personal experience. Ill definetly consider it.
  • summerkissed
    Options

Broccoli isn't sweet enough to start with!!! But bananas on the other hand I've eaten 4-5 ripe ones in one go, it's not unusual for me to have 3-4 apples in one go or even 10 apricots ....what's your point here? I had a full punnet of blueberries yesterday and a punnet of tomatoes on my way home from supermarket still had chocolate when I went to bed though?
  • alisakorneyeva
    edited February 2016
    Options

Broccoli isn't sweet enough to start with!!! But bananas on the other hand I've eaten 4-5 ripe ones in one go, it's not unusual for me to have 3-4 apples in one go or even 10 apricots ....what's your point here? I had a full punnet of blueberries yesterday and a punnet of tomatoes on my way home from supermarket still had chocolate when I went to bed though?

I didnt make this post in order for us to be mean to each other :(
    Some of us actually are addicted to chocolate and sugar! Thats why i made this post to help and support!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    That's what I'm trying to get at! I have a really really bad sweet tooth wether it's the sugar in fruit or chocolate I need to eat sweet stuff! That's why I started by replacing my sugar in coffee with artificial sweeteners then slowly tried to reduce my chocolate intake but I still need sweet things! I was replying to the person who was indicating that it's all in our heads or we would be trying to eat masses of broccoli to get the sugar from it....well no I don't with the broccoli as it's not sweet but fruits I do eat in large amounts because it's wonderfully sweet!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Even better banana dipped in chocolate lol (which is anoth thing I do in summertime as a sweet dessert without as much guilt as say another type of dessert