Anyone have a fitbit? Any good?

Options
13»

Replies

• arnottr3
    arnottr3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just bought the charge Hr. As soon as it's fully charged ill get to work figuring it out and setting up. Then I'll know a little more what you guys are talking about haha:)
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It is absolutely a YMMV situation. Just wanted to bring to light something that I had noticed, and how I fixed it. It's always better to have more information.

I completely agree! :smiley:

• arnottr3
    Options
    So how come fitbit connects my steps but not the calories burned in my workout?
  • arnottr3
    Options
    Nvm I figured it out. Just adds workout calories to the step calories
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I guess you already bought one but I love mine. Anyone can add me selig0730@gmail.com
  • Nekaboo312
    Nekaboo312 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fit bit but I do have a polar watch/ heart rate monitor it works wonders I got it at Best Buy for $57. 5 stars online and adorable
  • arnottr3
    Options
    Will do:)
  • kellyanneclover
    kellyanneclover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin vivosmart! Syncs with this app! It's very good, plus sends me notifications for texts, app notifications and tells you when it's time to move :)
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One. I clip it to my bra. I like that I don't have to worry about my dominate arm, holding onto the stroller or shopping cart and getting messed up data, etc. It's pretty darn accurate. I love mine. I've had it for 3 or 4 years.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I see these things as a bit gimmicky. But given that none of them work for swimming, I'm kind of biased.
    Even things like the Garmin Swim require a lot of editing and correction. If something can't record an activity accurately, I don't see the point. So I just use a finger mounted digital lap counter.
    I only use an HRM for spinning class.
  • rinucz
    rinucz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have Fitbit Flex. Its strap started having cracks around the measuring unit after 2 months even if I removed it from my wrist gently only before taking a shower. I returned it for warranty repair circa 10 months ago and haven't receive them back yet. Support is abysmal.
    My colleague has Fitbit Surge and it started tearing after 5 months of usage. By the way, both devices measured steps differently (30% difference).
    I like the manufacturer's web application a lot but I couldn't recommend it to anyone because it falls apart soon after the purchase.

I use Polar A360 right now and while I miss MyFitnessPal support via Android app, I am happy with it. It is waterproof and can track swimming, the battery lasts long (5+ days), it notifies me that I haven't moved for a hour (very handy as I have a sedentary job), has regular updates, steps are more close to what my colleague sees via Fitbit Surge and to the distance Google Maps calculate.
    As for the strap, it gets a bit loose on the sides of measuring unit however it keeps together and I haven't seen any cracks yet after 2+ months.

So I would say that both companies are not able to produce solid straps but I have better experience with Polar so far.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge and I find it really helps me when I also log my food. I recommend.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Jawbone UP Move... it's cute, it does its job, but I'm looking for an upgrade. Looking to getting the FitBit Blaze when it comes out! I wanted something with a screen and considered the apple watch, but that's just so expensive and (I heard) not worth it. Looking forward to the Blaze!
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit Flex for about a year. I like to be have "Challenges" with friends and coworkers and I love that it syncs with MFP and Weight Watchers (I use MFP for the macros). I have noticed that the couple of times I have "taken a break" for a week or two - I really slip up. It's a good physical reminder!!
  • staciecheck
    staciecheck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit Zip and Charge, love them both!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Useless. MFP does the food logging for free and has better macro customization.

The heart rate is not accurate enough for actual sports training. My unit was consistently off by 30bpm for many sports (running, rowing, hiking, rock climbing, lifting) compared to an accurate chest strap monitor. I repositioned the fitbit in many places on my wrist and have average skin.

Furthermore, calculating calories from heart rate is not much more accurate than an educated guess on the MFP database. HR calculated calories are not at ALL accurate for activities like strength or interval training. since those activities are anaerobic, heart rate doesn't strongly correlate to energy burn.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    Useless. MFP does the food logging for free and has better macro customization.

The heart rate is not accurate enough for actual sports training. My unit was consistently off by 30bpm for many sports (running, rowing, hiking, rock climbing, lifting) compared to an accurate chest strap monitor. I repositioned the fitbit in many places on my wrist and have average skin.

Furthermore, calculating calories from heart rate is not much more accurate than an educated guess on the MFP database. HR calculated calories are not at ALL accurate for activities like strength or interval training. since those activities are anaerobic, heart rate doesn't strongly correlate to energy burn.

Even if you find the device to be unfit for your purposes, many do not find it to be completely useless.

Fitbit's app will also allow you to log food and exercise for free - the device you buy will take some of the guesswork out of the exercise logging. You will no longer need to check the clock before and after an activity so that you can log how many minutes you were at it.

From all reports, even the heart rate models of the fitbit do not use the heart rate to calculate calorie burns. It's still based on steps.

It's a shame yours wasn't accurate at tracking your heart rate. I don't even have a guess as to why that happens. Mine seems to be working pretty consistently for me. But even aside from that, it's a great motivational tool. The challenges are fun and I can't see any drawback to the nudge it provides so that I get a few more minutes of walking into my day. Not everyone will consider these reasons "worth" the cost of the device. But for those who do, it's not useless at all.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    I have the FitBit One. I clip it to my bra. I like that I don't have to worry about my dominate arm, holding onto the stroller or shopping cart and getting messed up data, etc. It's pretty darn accurate. I love mine. I've had it for 3 or 4 years.

I have the Zip (tiny thing, only measures steps no stairs or anything else), and I wear it the same way. I like how it feeds a reasonably accurate activity level over to MFP, which then adjusts my calories for the day.