Earning exercise calories

Options
hi there, i have talked about this topic before but still very confused.
Do you enter you exercise calories and then eat these calories??
E.g if i have 1500 cals a day and do a work out and earn 400 cals can i eat up to 1900 cals that day??
thanks

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do exactly that....
  • sciencesmithkim534
    Options
    Don't eat back your calories.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat them back because I am breastfeeding
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mfp is designed so that you can eat back your exercise calories and still have a deficit. Some people don't do it because they want more margin of error when estimating/logging food and exercise. Some people don't do it because they want to lose faster. Some do something between the two and eat back a percentage.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Both my dietitian and doctor (endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) had never heard of the concept
    of "eating back" exercise calories.
    They said to aim for the healthy calorie goal we'd set, and treat exercise as a bonus.
    Most people underestimate what they eat,
    most machines overestimate what you burn.

If you're losing too fast, or are really hungry at the end of the day, have part of what you think you've burned
    that day for a snack. (1/4 - 1/3)
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I let my Apple Watch sync my workouts to MFP and give me credit for the calorie burn, but I try to only eat about half of them back if possible.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 75%of what MFP allocates. Have done for all my weight loss and 6 yr maintenance.

If you are working with your doctor, a TDEE instead of MFP's NEAT method, or a monitor, you have your exercise calories accounted for.

Basic MFP expects one to eat at least a portion back to keep your calorie levels adequate for your exercise activity levels.

Cheers, h.
  • julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info, i might just think about eating back 25-50% depending on how much exercise i have done! cheers!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Both my dietitian and doctor (endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) had never heard of the concept
    of "eating back" exercise calories.
    They said to aim for the healthy calorie goal we'd set, and treat exercise as a bonus.
    Most people underestimate what they eat,
    most machines overestimate what you burn.

If you're losing too fast, or are really hungry at the end of the day, have part of what you think you've burned
    that day for a snack. (1/4 - 1/3)

Your "healthy calorie goal" will be set taking your exercise into account.
    You are eating back exercise calories whether you label them as such or not.