Just getting started using this app. Trying to stay motivated and hoping to find some helpful hintts

Options
I've been on my weight program since Aug 2015 and doing well. But I am finding it hard to stay motivated now. My diet is simple: no sugar, no processed foods; fruits , veggies, chicken & fish, some low fat dairy. I've lost 27.8 lbs and that is good but I'm getting bored with my menu. I'm afraid I'm setting myself up to start letting 'not so good for me' foods sneak in . I got my cholestrol ck'd before I started this plan and it was 276... Ouch! Just had it reck'd and it is now 160. Just want to keep on track

Replies

• runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey sudiegirl!
    I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. It sounds like you're very motivated with all the progress you've made despite the hardships. I'd like to applaud you for recognizing the problems that're creeping up before they blow up - most people don't and lie to themselves ("oh, this 40-calorie salad is sooooo filling, I could eat this for lunch every day!"). There's nothing wrong with getting bored with your menu, it just means you need a little change and variety. And maybe to give yourself a little leniency.

It sounds like you're eating a primarily whole-foods based diet, which is awesome! Without getting too far into my own personal story, it's been my experience that a little leniency is not going to break you in any way. Rather, for me at least, it has had the opposite effect and helped me keep my lifestyle longer term by being more consistent - and I think that is key.

Spicing up your healthy meals to make them more exciting (like sauces, condiments, or a small side of whatever) makes you all the more excited to eat them. And it can really make a difference in the taste of your food. Different sauces mixed in with my veggies, for example, makes my meals taste entirely different. Yeah, ketchup and bbq sauce are processed and have *gasp* sugars in them. But, for me, I really like them. And if a little sauce (or whatever floats your boat) can motivate you to keep eating your otherwise healthy diet - then I think that is sooooooo much better than falling off the wagon and going back to hamburgers, fries, and ice cream buckets.

Last two things - I talked about sauces a lot in this, but that's just what I sometimes like. You can do whatever lol. And forbidding yourself from ever eating something that is unhealthy is commendable, but not really worth pursuing. I had a 500-calorie vegan cookie a few weeks ago. It was processed like no other lol. But I really wanted it and I only do something like that maybe once or twice a month.
    It's all about living a healthy lifestyle (not diet) that you can foresee yourself being consistent with. Consistency is key.

I hope that helps. And if you think my advice sucks - that's okay! It's about finding what works for you long-term. I wish you the best of health!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss.

Beware painting yourself into a corner w/ diet - when you chop out whole categories of food you're in dangerous territory, because is this the way you'd like to eat for the long haul?
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    the message boards is definitely the right place. i've used MFP 3 times, each time with no results.
    but now that i have been asking questions on the message boards, ive come to understand A LOT more. and now i am getting results!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    the message boards is definitely the right place. i've used MFP 3 times, each time with no results.
    but now that i have been asking questions on the message boards, ive come to understand A LOT more. and now i am getting results!

Good for you. Knowledge is power!

• jdgorham06
    jdgorham06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to utilizing the resources on the message boards. Still perusing..hopeful to find some helpful hints and build a virtual community of people interested in healthy living.