5K, 10K, or Marathon Plans?

Options
2»

Replies

• sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Gonna try do my first half marathon in May after using a training plan on the runkeeper app!
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    a trail run 5K in April supporting the seacoast animal rescue, half marathon in May, 5k beer run in June, 10k beer run in August, 5k beards for beers in November (for mens health month) and a veterans day 5k the following week to support a local vet association, wrap up the year with a December half Marathon. Signing up and paying all that cash keeps me motivated for the days in-between.
  • Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a race for life 5k, River Rat 10k, hoping for a place in the Great North run HM, & wanting a crack at a full marathon in Nov'. I'm also looking to hit a 50 total 5k Parkruns over this year. Ironically I'm not much of a 'runner'
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At least 3 halfs, one in April, July, and October. Plus my usual 8 miler and 5 miler I do in March and October. We'll see how many more races my work schedule can accommodate this summer!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    5k beer run in June, 10k beer run in August, 5k beards for beers in November (for mens health month) and a veterans day 5k the following week to support a local vet association, wrap up the year with a December half Marathon.

@djscavone Beer Runs - Great Motivators and usually a relaxed fun crowd.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Nah, after 40+ years of races I have lost interest and I am no longer competitive. The last trophy I won was decades ago. I do run one local 5k most years to judge my fitness and support the charity.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Registered for a 5 mile in July,first race I've registered for that wasn't just a fun run with family. Going to have to practice running without headphones since they are not allowed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Half marathon in may, 10k in November, possibly a half in September too.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Done a few 5Ks already this year, and have another the weekend after next. Taking a stab at my first half marathon in March, and generally aiming to do one HM and either a 5/10K each month.

Still kicking myself over a wrong turn on the trails during my 5K last weekend which resulted in me running a 5 1/2 K, and relinquishing my substantial lead to instead come second. So. Not. Over. It.

I should add, it wasn't a very strong field, we weren't out there setting records or anything. Even so!

People tell me lots of runners have a similar story, but still, can't wait for my next one to get that bad taste out of my mouth!!
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've already done a 10k this year. Later on this year, I have two 5ks, two 10ks, and a half marathon. I try to do a few races every year, including one half. Actually after my half last November, I said I was going to stick to 10k or less, but I changed my mind already :) .
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm registered for
    25k trail race in April
    Full marathon in May
    5k road race in July
    Two 4 mile and two 5.5k trail races in Sept and Oct

I'll likely sign up for a 10 mile next month, a 10k on July 4th, a half marathon in June, and perhaps a few more if I find the time and the registration fee isn't too steep. I'm also looking for a team to join for a Ragnar Relay Race in August.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @katem999 @7lenny7 - You trail runners are impressive! My girlfriend asked me to do a 5 mile trail run with her last weekend which I agreed to thinking it would be a nice, easy 5 miles. WRONG. The entire time I was trying not to break an ankle. Completely different than road running, I had no idea.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @katem999 @7lenny7 - You trail runners are impressive! My girlfriend asked me to do a 5 mile trail run with her last weekend which I agreed to thinking it would be a nice, easy 5 miles. WRONG. The entire time I was trying not to break an ankle. Completely different than road running, I had no idea.

@Somebody_Loved, I just started trail regularly running about a month ago, so I know what you mean. My attempts last summer ended up with me feeling pretty beat up and I quit doing it because I was training for a half.

I decided to try it again late last fall and this time it stuck. Now I love it!

Here's the thing about trail running that is so much different than road running. While it does take more exertion per mile, utilizes more muscle groups, and is slower going for the same level of effort (about 1:30 minutes/mile slower for me), it's easier on your joints because of the softer running surface. Right now is an ideal time for trail running in Minnesota for me because my favorite trails are packed snow on top of dirt trails. Last weekend my marathon training plan called for a 10 mile long run. I went trail running and ended up with 13.8 miles. I was exhausted, but not beat up. A 10 mile road run would have been "easier" on my cardiovascular system, but harder on my joints. Since making this discovery I've decided that at least half of my long runs leading up to my marathon will be trail runs.

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@Somebody_Loved, I just started trail regularly running about a month ago, so I know what you mean. My attempts last summer ended up with me feeling pretty beat up and I quit doing it because I was training for a half.

Here's the thing about trail running that is so much different than road running. While it does take more exertion per mile, utilizes more muscle groups, and is slower going for the same level of effort (about 1:30 minutes/mile slower for me), it's easier on your joints because of the softer running surface. Right now is an ideal time for trail running in Minnesota for me because my favorite trails are packed snow on top of dirt trails. Last weekend my marathon training plan called for a 10 mile long run. I went trail running and ended up with 13.8 miles. I was exhausted, but not beat up. A 10 mile road run would have been "easier" on my cardiovascular system, but harder on my joints. Since making this discovery I've decided that at least half of my long runs leading up to my marathon will be trail runs.

That makes a lot of sense. My time was almost exactly 1:30 slower per mile, also. I have really weak ankles and since it had rained heavily the night before, the trail was really muddy. I have a half in March and a full in June so I was terrified I was going to get injured from dodging rocks, roots and mud. I think it's something I'd really enjoy, though, and it was absolutely beautiful.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    violet1723 wrote: »
    Anyone have any plans to run any races this year? My goal is to run 5 5Ks in 2016. Wish me luck!

That was my goal that I achieved last year! My first 5K was in April and finished off my 5th on Thanksgiving.

Same goal this year, in addition to 5 I would like to get my time down to 35:00.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Training falling right in to place. Long run of 7 miles today with 6 weeks left till the first half.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

That makes a lot of sense. My time was almost exactly 1:30 slower per mile, also. I have really weak ankles and since it had rained heavily the night before, the trail was really muddy. I have a half in March and a full in June so I was terrified I was going to get injured from dodging rocks, roots and mud. I think it's something I'd really enjoy, though, and it was absolutely beautiful.

I want to get back to trail runs as well. Love them, the scenery, and the group of people who usually run them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    violet1723 wrote: »
    Anyone have any plans to run any races this year? My goal is to run 5 5Ks in 2016. Wish me luck!

I was aiming for my first Marathon in March, but I've got a calf strain so behind plan. I may be able to do the trail half marathon that day instead.

After that I've got:
    • Daylight 10K trail race, night 10K trail race, trail half marathon in May
    • Trail marathon in June
    • Trail 10K and trail HM in August
    • Trail marathon in October
    • Trail HM in December
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Did a 10K in January, got a half and a 15K planned for the spring and a half in autumn.
  • mremmgee
    mremmgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Got my first HM in a month! So far have only run 10k, and really struggling to feel like I can run twice the distance in less than 4 weeks!!