Liquor free Lent

Options
I'm giving up liquor for lent. Any suggestions other than just water to have while out? I'm not normally a soda drinker & have never taken to tea or coffee. Water can get boring but I don't want to trade off the alcohol for sugar & caffeine either.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Water can get boring. But I find adding a couple wedges of lemon or an orange slice peps it up for about 4 calories.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've often given up liquor for Lent. Not sure I will this year, but I still have until tomorrow to decide. :D

When I've done it in the past, I have found lots of different things to drink that still fit my calorie goals:
    • Sparkling water - the flavored kind with (usually) zero calories.
    • Kombucha - a few calories, but interesting flavors. (I make this myself, so can add a variety of different things for the secondary ferment.) Yum! About 35 calories per cup.
    • Coconut water - fairly low-calorie and filled with electrolytes.
    • Tea - my cupboard is filled with teas of all varieties - mostly herbal and caffeine free. I've made a dent in the supply during alcohol-free Lent.
    • Infused water - put a pitcher of water in the fridge and add fruit or veggies. Some ideas - berries, cucumber, ginger, mint, lemon). Leave in overnight and drink. Very refreshing!
    Have fun!
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I've often given up liquor for Lent. Not sure I will this year, but I still have until tomorrow to decide. :D

When I've done it in the past, I have found lots of different things to drink that still fit my calorie goals:
    • Sparkling water - the flavored kind with (usually) zero calories.
    • Kombucha - a few calories, but interesting flavors. (I make this myself, so can add a variety of different things for the secondary ferment.) Yum! About 35 calories per cup.
    • Coconut water - fairly low-calorie and filled with electrolytes.
    • Tea - my cupboard is filled with teas of all varieties - mostly herbal and caffeine free. I've made a dent in the supply during alcohol-free Lent.
    • Infused water - put a pitcher of water in the fridge and add fruit or veggies. Some ideas - berries, cucumber, ginger, mint, lemon). Leave in overnight and drink. Very refreshing!
    Have fun!

I agree with RaeBeeBaby, I recently went 4 weeks alcohol free in January. I found that date night with my hubby was the hardest.

I replaced my wine with;

*Flavoured green teas
    *Lime infused water
    *Soda water with lime wedges

• mudder14
    mudder14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've never heard of kombucha before , I'll have to check that one out.
  • suwala2t
    suwala2t Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did it last year, and if i'm feeling like having a beer with the boys or whatever, I just had one or two non-alcoholic beers. Seemed to do the trick for me. Giving booze up for lent also did wonders for weight loss for me!
  • kennedyer627
    kennedyer627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bar drinks I tend to do club soda and lime, lemonade, or cranberry juice. People don't know I am not drinking so it keeps people from pulling the "one wont hurt" routine (I struggle with peer pressure.) Cranberry juice isn't always the best choice because its usually cranberry juice cocktail and high in sugar, though. I drink things like sparkling flavored water when I am at home so that water isn't as boring when I am out since it is not always available.