Half and Half vs. Skim Plus

Options
I use half and half to lighten my coffee and I think I'm spending too many calories. I used to use sugar free flavored creamer and I loved it but I heard it's not very healthy. I'm considering switching to Skim Plus which is much creamier than regular skim milk. What do you all use to lighten your coffee?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Nothing, it take it hot and black. No sugar, no sugar substitutes
    It is an acquired taste
  • _fitness4life_
    _fitness4life_ Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Half and half is better than skim. Use less of it if you have to but less less processed your food the better. Anything low fat and been processed to death to get it that way. Not to mention, they remove fat which our bodies need and add sugar which we don't need to it.

Ok will step off my soapbox now but those are my two cents for what they're worth.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Evaporated milk. Love it.
  • shawni1221
    shawni1221 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    why not just regular milk instead of half and half? You can cut the calories in half, can't you?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use milk, either 2% or whole. I have a giant mug and use a full cup of milk and then top it off with coffee. Once I drink it down 1/4 of the way I top it off with more coffee. Repeat until my coffee pot is empty.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    If I get my coffee out (store or restaurant) I use two half and half cups (1 fl oz total, 40 cals). If I'm at home, good ol' 2% or whole milk, about 1/4 cup (30-40 cals) for the 2 mugs a day habit. Either way, the calories in my dairy of choice is not breaking the bank.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Try the almond milk or coconut milk creamers ... yes, they have calories but most are non-gmo and don't have a lot of chemical extras ... plus there is typically some nutritional value to them. I love my So Delicious Hazelnut Coconut Creamer.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Stevia
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I looked up Skim Plus. I actually would try that. More protein, more calcium. Vit D and A.
    Not a bad choice for your bones. Osteoporosis is debilitating.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    my skim milk does not have sugar added. Just the fat removed
  • kerig1234
    kerig1234 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lydcot58 wrote: »
    I use half and half to lighten my coffee and I think I'm spending too many calories. I used to use sugar free flavored creamer and I loved it but I heard it's not very healthy. I'm considering switching to Skim Plus which is much creamier than regular skim milk. What do you all use to lighten your coffee?

I buy the all natural creamer, ingredients say....milk cream and sugar thats it!! Real full fat is best, just use less of it. I feel like if I just do a little coffee and 2 tablespoons of creamer its only 70 cal. And filling my cup up half way instead of all the way its sweeter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to use skim years ago (lots) and gradually phased it out (for some reason in my mid 20s I decided that it would be more "adult" to drink coffee black -- never added sweetener). Now I strongly prefer it black, except for rare occasion, like at breakfast when traveling in some parts of Europe.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Half and half is better than skim. Use less of it if you have to but less less processed your food the better. Anything low fat and been processed to death to get it that way. Not to mention, they remove fat which our bodies need and add sugar which we don't need to it.

Ok will step off my soapbox now but those are my two cents for what they're worth.

Sugar is NOT added to skim milk. Why do people say this? They just take out the fat and it's extremely unlikely that you "need" more sat fat. (Which is different from saying that you shouldn't eat it if you want to. I like to save my sat fat for cheese and steak and the like.)
  • kerig1234
    kerig1234 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use milk, either 2% or whole. I have a giant mug and use a full cup of milk and then top it off with coffee. Once I drink it down 1/4 of the way I top it off with more coffee. Repeat until my coffee pot is empty.

• TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Fairlife milk, which has less carbs, more protein and tastes great. They have whole, 2%, or skim and I use the whole.

Fairlife milk is delicious.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use the fat free half & half. I can't imagine my coffee without it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I mostly use half and half, but I've tried the whole Fairlife milk and it's pretty good, too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like whipped cream 33% or heavy cream 52% in my coffee. I just count the calories as breakfast or a morning snack.