Self Control

Options
How do I maintain self control when it comes to healthy eating? Tips please!

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Find healthy things you like and eat them so it you don't need self control from other things as your diet is already rich and varied :) you can still eat naughty things, for example get the icecream tub and measure a certain amount, eat and log it into your cals!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but it is not that hard for me. I've been overweight since I was 13 and I'm fed up with it... In order to not be overweight, I must eat at a deficit until I lose said weight. So I do.

30-odd days in... I have over eaten massively one time and eaten close to maintenance a couple of times, but other than that I have stayed under budget. I want to be a normal healthy weight more than I want an extra slice of pizza. Period.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    With nobody knowing you personally, that's an impossible question to answer.

People will have different techniques based on their own personalities. Some are more extrinsically motivated, some more intrinsically. Motivation tends to be the key. Your goal must become more important to you, than the instant gratification of whatever it is you want "now".
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Self control is not to be maintained, it's to be used in short bursts to resist acute temptation. Make it easier to make good choices. Cook your own food as much as you can. Choose food you like. Plan your meals, prelog. Try to do better, not to be perfect.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have very little self control when it comes to food. If I'm hungry, I eat. Things fall into place if I eat low carb, high fat, because then I'm not hungry, even though I'm eating fewer calories than I was eating a low-fat diet. Hunger always wins out with me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I have to eat every 3 to 4 hours during the day, to prevent from getting hungry.
    If I get hungry, without a meal planned, I will eat anything.
    No self-control needed.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, just less of it. I eat a variety of fruit, veg, grains and proteins, and I have room for some treats too. Food scale is my friend.

It really depends on your goals, but I find that exclusively eating 'healthy' foods will lead to a crash and burn situation. Sure, have the healthy stuff, but don't forget to treat yourself too. Ice cream is not out to sabotage you, only you can do that.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    - I drink a glass of water first, often I am thirsty, not hungry.
    - I eat satiating foods so I don't get hungry as often
    - I pay more attention to the clock. I used to "forget" to eat lunch until I was starving at 2/3pm. Nowadays, I eat mostly at 11:30am.
    - I pre-log before I eat. I've changed many of my eating plans based on what MFP says LOL! Sometimes that means cutting the portion smaller, sometimes its changing an ingredient. Sometimes its changing up the whole meal! Oh I don't have the cals available for a 500 calorie sandwich, better grab the 250 cal soup instead.
    - I bank calories to accommodate indulging. That's not always necessary though. Yesterday, I had half of the fattiest jelly donut in the world (a paczki), and I ended up eating under 1200 cals for the whole day without being hungry.
    - I HATE seeing that awful red number in MFP!

Most of all, I'm just ready this time around. I know what I want and I've figured out my plan to get there.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Trying to resist everything you want/like to eat because it's "unhealthy" is likely to make you give up because it's too hard to maintain. Some people can do it, from the success stories I've read, but for most of us mere mortals it helps not to ban foods. Most things aren't "bad" in moderation.

I love chocolate, so I make room for it in my calories several times a week. I bought some 85% dark chocolate, and a square or two of that is more than enough to keep me happy. If I had milk chocolate, I'd eat the whole bar! I also keep 40 calorie Fudgsicle treats on standby. On the other hand, I can't have Pringles in the house or I'd eat the entire tube.

Think about the things you love to eat, and find ways to fit them into your day. I know there are people who have ice cream every day, and they do it by making sure they have the calories left to enjoy a portion of it. Not half the tub - a carefully-weighed portion. :smile:
  • PlanningBea
    PlanningBea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to eat every 3 to 4 hours during the day, to prevent from getting hungry.
    If I get hungry, without a meal planned, I will eat anything.
    No self-control needed.

All of THIS, so much!
    Planning is the only way for me to stay on track.
  • TekDoc
    TekDoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be Aware of what you are doing. Sometimes it is boredom other times it is reaction to something unpleasant. Before I put something in my mouth, I ask WHY? Is it to nourish my body? Or is it because I am reacting to boredom or something negative. Then I get up and leave the situation or do something fun! In short - I replace it with something else. I know this sounds vague but it is as simple as that.

Make it habit to be aware of what you are doing.. Ask yourself why, Replace your action with a healthy alternative
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It takes dedication. The longer you focus on eating healthy and cutting out crap, the more you will find yourself CRAVING the good food. After 10 years of eating a very balanced and nutrient-packed diet, I no longer crave stuff like fast food, cookies, etc. I actually find that it makes me sick to even think about. Stay dedicated! It pays off, I promise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Impossible to answer really. It depends on your personaility type and how good are you at keeping diligenence and commitment to what ever it is that you are doing.

Self control can not be guided or given instruction. It has to come within.

There is nobody around when I think of food, or pick up food and choose to put food in my mouth I am accountable for all of that so what choices I make are all on me.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    For me (and everyone is different), I just asked myself (it seemed like a million times per day at first) is it really worth it to eat that, or do you want to lose weight. I have to say, as the weight came off, it did get easier to resist overeating. It is really worth it to be a normal weight and a normal size. I won't ever go back.
    MFP is a great source. The success stories are inspiring and motivating and helped me. Having a lot of raw veggies prepped and on hand to munch on helps too.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    One of the things I do is tell myself I must have a salad first. If I still want my treat after the salad I have it. Normally you can't eat as much any way if you do have it. You also get full pretty fast with all that salad.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't have the foods I over eat in my house. If its not here I can't eat it. If I have to cook, I'm gonna cook something healthy. I have no choice since that's all I have here. If its here I eat it. I also despise logging the bad days. I do, but I hate actually looking at the totals. That helps me not buy those foods as often. Exercise helps me stay on track too. I hate the idea of doing all this exercise just to negate all that effort by over eating.

Alcohol is my current battle. I like drinking and its showing in my waist... Ugh! Now.. If I could just be as good in that department as I used to be.., lol
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just leave room for a drink in your budget.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    tekwriter wrote: »
    One of the things I do is tell myself I must have a salad first. If I still want my treat after the salad I have it. Normally you can't eat as much any way if you do have it. You also get full pretty fast with all that salad.

Great idea! Thanks.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've found that habits really help me.

#1. Sticking to some of the same foods frequently makes it easy for me. I have a list of a few (4-5) favorite, calorie friendly breakfasts that I love. I try to stick to those for breakfast. Same for lunch and snacks.

Sometimes I want to branch out and get some more variety, but it can be a test of willpower for me. Fewer choices to make = fewer chances to make the wrong choice.

#2. My latest habit is logging before eating, and that has provided extra structure for me too. I second guess that unplanned treat if I have to give up an extra taco at dinner to make room for it. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes I want two tacos. :D

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just leave room for a drink in your budget.

Haha....one drink isn't a problem... I can fit one a day in easy... The problem is i like more then 1. Lol.