Going to an Indian Restaurant

Options
I'm going to an Indian Restaurant tonight and have no idea what to order. I can handle some spice but not much so I usually order a chicken pasanda or something similar.
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best/healthiest foods to order at a place that is notoriously fatty/creamy?

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    My absolute fav, and not at all spicy is chicken Korma... however, it is probably the worst thing to order from an Indian :'( mainly cream!!! breaks my heart!

I would like to know what non-spicy meals are the best to eat too.....
  • loseisthegoal4me
    Options
    We usually get the Chicken Tikka under the tandorii - it is a light grilled chicken with no sauce. Not the Tikka Masalla which adds a sauce. It isn't spicy at all but more like an indian fajita meat.
  • shells62682
    shells62682 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

-- limit the naan and rice. Both are high in carbs and calories. Often the naan will have extra butter added on top once it's been cooked in the tandoor
    -- tandori chicken is great. It's chicken that been marinaded in yogurt and spices and then grilled/tandoored.
    -- for veggies: bhindi (stir fried okra), aloo gobi (spicy cauliflower and potatoes), bhartha (spicy eggplant) are all relatively healthy choices.
    -- stay away from palak/saag paneer (likely to be filled with butter and cream), butter anything (chicken, paneer, etc.), and if you have something with a cream sauce (i..e korma) just try to eat the meat, and not take much of the sauce.

Also, home cooked indian food is quite healthy (and not too hard to make). I would suggest also considering eating portions like an indian would. for example, heavy on veggies, and very light on meat (one small piece).

Hope that helps!!!
  • tilda_g
    tilda_g Posts: 19
    Options
    I love things from the Tandoori menu :) and I don't think it'll be too spicy for you. Maybe ask to try a piece if it's a relaxed kind of place?