Losing weight with exercise bike??

Options
Did anyone lost weight in a exercise bike???

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you eat at a deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You lose weight from a calorie deficit. Burning calories on an exercise bike can help create a deficit, but it isn't going to be more or less effective than any other form of calorie burning activity.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Yep, I cut the handlebars off. :)

Seriously, weight is lost by eating at a deficit. Cycling might help you to have a deficit and might not. Weight loss starts in the kitchen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen and gain fitness through exercise.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike and I lost weight. I don't attribute it to that though but, it helps. You don't need to even exercise to lose weight but, having a little margin for error doesn't hurt. Also being sedentary sucks. My back is completely *kitten* from a lifetime of wasting away in front of a computer.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It stops me from being totally sedentary when watching TV and I do love the cycling, but the number of calories burned doesn't do much to enhance my deficit. Diet is the key.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen and gain fitness through exercise.

This. Deficit for weight loss. Exercise for fitness.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I have an exercise bike and I lost weight. I don't attribute it to that though but, it helps. You don't need to even exercise to lose weight but, having a little margin for error doesn't hurt. Also being sedentary sucks. My back is completely *kitten* from a lifetime of wasting away in front of a computer.

Same, but with a recumbent bike. Eating at a deficit would've done the trick, but the bike really helped me stay active and get stronger at the point when I was really out of shape. It was a really back- and knee- friendly way to get my blood moving and strengthen the legs before I tried other exercises.

I'm trying to convince my 60-something mother (who has fibro and bad knees) to do it regularly.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think of exercise as something that can augment good habits in the kitchen as opposed to something that can cover up for bad ones there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

The answer is NO..

Loose weight with MFP by eating at the calorie deficit given to you. Exercise is secondary to eating at your calorie deficit. Use your exercise to get a great set of lungs, healthy heart and get stronger and fit. This helps you move more, and the more active you are ... well this just improves EVERTHING!

If you have medical condition or prone to injury seek a physicians guidance first.. this is my disclaimer that I am not a doctor and approve all exercise for everyone... lol