MEN : 40+, 250lbs+, 6 foot+

Options
JUknowPK
JUknowPK Posts: 482 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi I am Male, 43, 275 Lbs and 6'4". I find it hard to find others in the same category on these threads, so wanted to start one with similar body types on this journey I am beginning, and would like to see what works and what doesn't for people in the same category.

I work at an office so I don't get much exercise during the day, I travel a lot for work, so end up eating out and drinking too much. I play Rec Ball Hockey once a week, but that is it for now.

I am starting with MFP and eating better and will look at adding more exercise to my routine. I don't know if I will get away from the weekend beverages, but will see.

My goal is to get to 235LBS. Anyone who is in the same Boat, please join in and let's see where this goes.

Cheers...PK

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bump. I'm a male, 52, 6' tall, 242 lbs (started at 293 lbs a few years back). Work in an office, and travel quite a bit for work. I lift 1x or 2x a week at the gym for an hour or so at each time. My goal is to get to 193 lbs.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    44, Male, 6' 1", 307 lbs. Started Dec 2015 at 321. I treadmill 5x a week (20 mins a day) and lift 5x a week.

I quit soda a couple years ago and with that single change, dropped 25 lbs. I occasionally have Coke Zero and still drink beer once a month.

My goal is 199 to 225. At 199 people think I am sick, and 225 if I continue to lift weights and stay bulked up.

\m/
  • JUknowPK
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good day gents. Fellowship of three for now. I bought whey protein to use in morning fruit/veg smoothie as meal replacement (never ate breakfast properly prior) so hope that gets my motabolism going
  • hittrain
    hittrain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can join this exclusive group =). Not quite 40 (39) but I'm 6'5", currently 370 on my way to 265 from 390. I have an open diary and would love similar statured gentleman to share this trip with.

Jon
  • Jmgris1
    Jmgris1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 45, only 5'10", 315 lbs. (I fall short of the 6') Started at 327 and on my way down to 220 and then I will evaluate from there. Joined MFP a couple weeks ago and am going to make this a lifestyle and not just a "for now". I am willing to support anyone and always accept support from others.
  • JUknowPK
    Options
    Welcome aboard gents. Yeah I think if we post hints, helpful info, whatever that motivates the group.
  • JUknowPK
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Question: When you guys weigh yourselves do you do it once a week? I know checking your weight at the same time of day matters. I think once a week makes sense and picking a specific day of the week as well. I got on the scale today and I am already down 8 pounds, so I am thinking two things occurred:

1. I must have weighed myself at a different time of day evening vs morning.
    2. I have a digital scale so I don't think I read it wrong. but could have been a lot of water weight?

I have also purchased a food scale and I am finding that is making a huge difference with portion control and accuracy of logging calories.

I'll take the "quick loss", but I am not going to fool myself into thinking it happens this easily.

• JUknowPK
    Options
    Just checking to see if anyone else would like to join in on this. I have to say having a network of people who you can ask questions or even just see how they are doing is tremendous motivation.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I was in this category three months ago - 6'1" and some where around 255 lbs.

Today - 223lbs and already have thrown out the 40" waist clothes....about to start tossing XL shirts.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    I was in this category three months ago - 6'1" and some where around 255 lbs....43 years old

Today - 223lbs and already have thrown out the 40" waist clothes....about to start tossing XL shirts.

• wkelleyconstruction
    Options
    I am 47 y/o, 5'9", and 282 lbs. I have been on a reduced calorie diet for a week now. I have been eating 1600 calories or less a day and I do not feel hungry. I have lost 15 lbs this past week. I also build custom pool cues in my shop at my residence, so I can work at my leisure.
    My question is. ......should I be eating more calories or is 1600 okay?
  • JUknowPK
    Options
    The Calorie question is a hard one for me. I aim to hit 1800 calories, sometimes i am higher, sometimes I am lower, but the good news is I am losing weight, so I will stick to that. I think if you go too low your body starts to go into starvation mode and will hold onto fat versus burning fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    46, 6'3" 224lb 14% body fat dropping from a bulk currently.

If yah gents need a friend to bounce question off I'm here.

• ramaekle
    ramaekle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether this is still an active group. Most recent post I see is February 2016. I am looking for just this kind of group. I am male, 55, and 290. I, too, travel for work and eat and drink too much. If I were to see the 100s I would be in a great place. I swam, biked and played hockey in high school and into college, but a serious injury put an end to that back then. I never really started back up and began to balloon.

I am now working out MWF in the gym with a trainer and have a nutritionist. What I lack is an effective support system to help keep things on track. I hope this can be it.
  • markleeming
    markleeming Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 6'4" was 250 now 226 and still working on it. The biggest dfference was tracking calories honestly. I have a desk job and aim to hit 1550 calories a day. It's working slowly. I do exercise fairly regularly too
    I have recently started at the gym again which resulted in putting 5lbs on but it's muscle. body fat had gone from 22 to16%. I want to get to around 12% but motivation is wavering!
  • seanoxmix
    seanoxmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Male, 36, 6' here. I started at 263 in January, but I'm down 90 lbs so far this year. Everyone should feel free to add me as a friend.