I have to stop using my job as an excuse

Options
I am in the travel/meetings industry and travel 30% of the time. My job also involves a lot of dinners, receptions, room amenities of wine and chocolate strawberries, etc. Yes, it's hard to stay on track with food and drink being such a large part of what I do for a living, but it's not impossible....just hard. I am responsible for what I eat. Just because an amenity arrives at my hotel room, I don't have to eat it. When high calorie (and often unhealthy) hors d' ouvres are passed in front of me I can say no thank you.

Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Some hotel amenities include a pool and/or gym. Maybe take advantage of those, too?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Although I don't face the food aspect of my job being an "excuse" I most definitely use the long hours and extreme travel times as a "way out" of going to the gym. In the past two months I've been really good at staying on track regardless though. Hard to stay motivated when your career is such a major priority in life.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Some hotel amenities include a pool and/or gym. Maybe take advantage of those, too?

Yes, true! What I meant was, because I plan meetings, hotels like to send welcome amenities to my room and they almost always include wine, food, etc. But you're right...gotta bring the workout clothes. I have not found a polite way to ask hoteliers not to send me amenities, because that's like saying "hey if you're planning to send me a gift, don't"
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Are you sharing your room/suite with someone else? If so, ask them for healthier fare. You should get to pick something off the menu as well. Shrimp cocktail (easy on the sauce) is always a good bet. Sip water instead of wine.

Bring your own food so you aren't starving and are less tempted. Protein bars, I always take instant oatmeal and mix in a little protein powder (heat up water in the coffee maker). If you have a fridge in your room, it's easier. Grab some fruit and a couple salads. Order a little when out with others and eat the main fare by yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Yes, true! What I meant was, because I plan meetings, hotels like to send welcome amenities to my room and they almost always include wine, food, etc. But you're right...gotta bring the workout clothes. I have not found a polite way to ask hoteliers not to send me amenities, because that's like saying "hey if you're planning to send me a gift, don't"

Take the treats home, share with friends and family?
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a lot - early mornings, late nights, stress, entertainment/dinners/drinks out, 3 meals I don't have 'control' over. It's hard to stay motivated. sometimes when 'stuff' arrives at my room - I put out on the lobby table (and walk away!) I always pack my shoes...I get angry at myself if I waste the packing space and don't use 'em. Good luck!!
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you must accept something unhealthy at your room and have no choice, then destroy it and dump it in the trash can near the ice machines. :D

I hate being in a situation where I feel pressured into accepting food because it is work related. I don't want to appear to be rude, but scarfing down birthday cake each week and attending ice cream socials just isn't that great for someone who is 100+ pounds overweight *and* a diabetic. In 2005, a Capital One manager actually wrote me up for politely declining cake! I'm a team player, but not when it comes to eating so much food. grr.

Definitely eat healthy before attending dinners or anything where there is food. Pick the healthiest options and nibble on those.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I travel about 25% of the time now for my work, but spent years traveling at about 75%. It's very easy to eat and drink in the calories when you're on the road. I'm better now about not consuming as many calories as I used to while traveling, and about getting some exercise when I'm on the road, but it's still a challenge.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My boss frequently brings in delicious cookies, pies and other treats. I indulge more than I need to. I also love going to lunch with her and my co-workers and consider it a time to connect on a different level. You are spot on that it's up to us to make the choice of what we actually allow in our bodies. Will keep all this in mind today. May the force be with me.
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use to work at a hotel, and we gave these amenity baskets to event planners and such. However, some of the amenities were bottled water and fruit. Maybe when you are arranging these meeting with the conference service person, request if they give you an amenity basket for booking the event, it be fruit and water.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    If you must accept something unhealthy at your room and have no choice, then destroy it and dump it in the trash can near the ice machines. :D

I hate being in a situation where I feel pressured into accepting food because it is work related. I don't want to appear to be rude, but scarfing down birthday cake each week and attending ice cream socials just isn't that great for someone who is 100+ pounds overweight *and* a diabetic. In 2005, a Capital One manager actually wrote me up for politely declining cake! I'm a team player, but not when it comes to eating so much food. grr.

Definitely eat healthy before attending dinners or anything where there is food. Pick the healthiest options and nibble on those.

WHAT? That person had some issues, man. Some really serious issues.
  • AriesGal329
    Options
    I use to work at a hotel, and we gave these amenity baskets to event planners and such. However, some of the amenities were bottled water and fruit. Maybe when you are arranging these meeting with the conference service person, request if they give you an amenity basket for booking the event, it be fruit and water.

Yes, sometimes hotels will ask for my "profile" which is great...because I state that I'd prefer bottled water and whole fruit. But they don't always ask and I feel awkward offering it. Never-the-less, all these suggestions are great. Anything non-perishable I can give to family and friends, and the other stuff- cheese, sweets, etc I'll just have to cover with a napkin and set aside. It kills me to see food go to waste, but better there than on my butt!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This whole process of losing weight is a total mind game. Learning that it's just something else to balance in your life. I tell people that it's like getting a college degree (it just doesn't take THAT much time in most cases). You need to make it a priority. You have to want to accomplish it more than you want to do the opposite. It's really hard to get good grades when all you do it stay up all night, drink and party.

And it's really hard to lose weight when you make life circumstances get in the way of your goal. Yes, it totally sucks to have to do an hour workout instead of watching that show. It sucks to sit in a restaurant and sip water while others are chowing down on cake. But EVERYTHING in life worth having is HARD. You have to work for it. You have to make sacrifices.

So, you have to decide if you want it THAT BAD. I did and I did it. And I kept it off. For 3 years now. And EVERYDAY is still REALLY hard. But it's so worth it.
  • AriesGal329
    Options
    This whole process of losing weight is a total mind game. Learning that it's just something else to balance in your life. I tell people that it's like getting a college degree (it just doesn't take THAT much time in most cases). You need to make it a priority. You have to want to accomplish it more than you want to do the opposite. It's really hard to get good grades when all you do it stay up all night, drink and party.

And it's really hard to lose weight when you make life circumstances get in the way of your goal. Yes, it totally sucks to have to do an hour workout instead of watching that show. It sucks to sit in a restaurant and sip water while others are chowing down on cake. But EVERYTHING in life worth having is HARD. You have to work for it. You have to make sacrifices.

So, you have to decide if you want it THAT BAD. I did and I did it. And I kept it off. For 3 years now. And EVERYDAY is still REALLY hard. But it's so worth it.

Thank you...inspiring!!!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Share the amenities with people if you can?
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Maybe a stupid suggestion, but what if you carried a food sealer with you? Relatively small and you could just put the food in it and seal it and take it home to whoever, or throw it in the freezer for a special treat. At least that way you aren't just pitching it.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I face a lot of lunch meetings complete with boxed lunches that are generally anything but healthy. I always felt like I NEEDED to eat them because they are provided. Or on business trips I NEEDED dessert to feel like I was getting what my company allowed since my time was being used, however a co-worker gave me the best advice I have heard about it:

The food may cost nothing in paper money but its definitely not free. Everything "costs" something, and the costs in excess health care from the weight far outweigh any monetary cost saved by taking the free unhealthy meal.

I just make sure everybody knows I am choosing a healthier life style. I will eat cake and ice cream but only when I decide I want it and that it is worth it. Its tough, so usually its yes for chocolate cake but no for glazed donuts because I REALLY like chocolate cake and only kinda like donuts.