Recommend a weight training DVD?

Options
I am looking for recommendations for a full body weight training DVD or system. I walk and ride my horse for cardio but I need to tone up. I've done the firm but it seems a little outdated and have also done P90x but an hour a day is way more than I will stick to. I'm trying to do everything in moderation this time! I am a 44 year old female with about 35 lbs to lose but don't want to be squishy. :)

Thank you!

Replies

• mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You might check out Body beast from Beachbody. My daughter loves it and it is weight training only.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    P90x3
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Spartacus DVDs through Men's/Women's Health. $35. Workouts range from 20-33 minutes & use both plyo & dumbbells. My wife & I have been using them for over a year & they're great!
  • nlwilliams60
    nlwilliams60 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith Boot Camp DVD, its divided into 10 minute workouts, the full body workout includes weights.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness: Weights

Video clips & reviews:
    http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=kelly+coffey+meyer+weights
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    mtpage04 wrote: »
    You might check out Body beast from Beachbody. My daughter loves it and it is weight training only.

I actually like this program DVD a lot. I actually got suphah bulky doing this at home which I never thought a home DVD would do that.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has lots of great weightlifting videos ranging from 10-90 minutes. All for free.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Two good resources...
    Sweet. Thanks!

• algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Lots of options to browse through!
  • algrif37
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I actually like this program DVD a lot. I actually got suphah bulky doing this at home which I never thought a home DVD would do that.

I looked this one up and it mentions "bulking". That's the last thing I need! Is it more of a get big muscles program or a tone/lose fat for older ladies program? I tend to get very bulky when I lift weights. Thank you!
  • MamaBerger23
    MamaBerger23 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    algrif37 wrote: »
    I am looking for recommendations for a full body weight training DVD or system. I walk and ride my horse for cardio but I need to tone up. I've done the firm but it seems a little outdated and have also done P90x but an hour a day is way more than I will stick to. I'm trying to do everything in moderation this time! I am a 44 year old female with about 35 lbs to lose but don't want to be squishy. :)

Thank you!

I just started The Master's Hammer & Chisel on Feb 1st and love it so far. It's a strength training program with weights. Sagi Kalev, the creator of Body Beast and Autumn Calebrese from the 21 Day Fix combined forces to create this program. Would highly recommend if you're looking to build strength and tone up. I'm looking forward to seeing my results at the end of the 60 days!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I looked this one up and it mentions "bulking". That's the last thing I need! Is it more of a get big muscles program or a tone/lose fat for older ladies program? I tend to get very bulky when I lift weights. Thank you!

I think she was being sarcastic lol. Most women don't get bulky lifting super heavy so I doubt a DVD will make you bulky unless you take steroids and are eating a big surplus. I lift heavy and am in no way bulky.
  • algrif37
    Options
    Thank you!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Thank you!

I would recommend a LEG/PUSH/PULL ROUTINE:

that is 3x a week ( although you can make it 4-6 and just double up on the routine you think you want to add volume to, in my case I do legs 2x a week )

Leg Day:

Squat 5 sets of 8 - 12 reps ( first to set being a warm up set of 10-15 reps of lighter weight )

Leg Press 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Leg Extension 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps

Note: this is a quad dominant day for me so you can personalize this either a hamstring dominant day or vice versa.

Straight Leg Dead lift 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Hamsting Curls 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps

This concludes your LEG DAY work out.

Pushing Movements: Chest/ Shoulders/ Triceps

Bench Press 5 sets 8 - 12 reps ( first two sets as warm up sets )

Incline DB press 3 x 8 - 12

DB flies 3 x 8 - 12

Overhead Press 3 x 8 - 12

Front Raises 3 x 8 - 12

Dips 3 x 8 - 12

Tricep Extensions 3 x 8 - 12

Side Lateral Raise 3 x 8 - 12

Pulling Movements: Back/ Biceps/ Rear Delts/ Traps

Pull ups 5 x 8 - 12 ( 2 set warm up )

Seated Row 3 x 8 - 12

BB row 3 x 8 - 12

Bicep curl 3 x 8 - 12

DB hammer curl 3 x 8 - 12

Rear delt Flies 3 x 8 - 12

DB shrug 3 x 8 - 12

NOte: This is my personal program YOU CAN REDUCE THE volume by only doing 2 sets on each exercises. Also you can alternate/change exercise depending on what available machine/equipment you have as long as you make sure you target the same muscle group you are trying to train for example you can exchange Bench press with Dumdbell press and still do the same volume. Hope that helps.
  • joan23_us
    Options

I think she was being sarcastic lol. Most women don't get bulky lifting super heavy so I doubt a DVD will make you bulky unless you take steroids and are eating a big surplus. I lift heavy and am in no way bulky.

ANY PROGRAM WILL WORK AS LONG AS YOU MANIPULATE YOUR NUTRITION BASED ON YOUR GOALS ie. for bulking eat in surplus or deficit for fatloss.
  • joan23_us
    Options
    I also recommend watching username: 3dmj on YOUTUBE.

they have both 6 part series of nutrition and training videos that will enlighten all questions about nutrition and training. Here is the first 2 videos for nutrition and training.

Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmchPCyDvw

Nutrition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

watch all series.