Working Mother Support

Options
I'm hoping to find some support here for working mothers. I'm a mother of three, and just returned to work 3 weeks ago from maternity leave. I'm finding the struggles of working full-time (by necessity, not choice), keeping the house running smoothly, and raising my family too overwhelming to also add in exercise. I do my best to eat healthy, but I know the weight will come off quicker with exercise as well. What does everyone do to stay motivated, accountable, and sane?

Replies

• wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've got a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old and a 45-minute commute each way. I feel your pain. If I can, I try to squeeze in time on my stationary bike before dinner, but that rarely happens. I do 15 to 20 minutes of yoga after the youngest goes to bed and I try to get up and walk around at work as much as I can. I try to be really active and play with the kids on the weekend. We go to the playground and I chase, climb, and move around as much as possible. I'm also more able to get a workout in on the weekend, too.

Most people will tell you to wake up before everyone else. I find that laughable and impossible. There's no way I'm starting my day at 4:30 am. It's not sustainable for me.

Feel free to add me as friend if you want someone to cheer you on.
  • DJohnson3616
    DJohnson3616 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with you, getting up at 4:30 or 5:00 and working out is out of the question. I hate when people suggest that. I like the suggestion of getting up at work and walking around. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the ideas!
  • LornaDrach
    LornaDrach Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. Mom of 2, ages 9 and 5; working full time and have little to no time. There is no way I am getting up early to workout - that just isn't going to happen. I try to move as much as I can at work - take the stairs instead of the elevator and move as often as I can. I also try to do a short 30 minute workout as soon as the kids hit the bed.

Feel free to add me and we can be each others cheerleaders.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have two stepsons, 10 and 17 and a 2 year old son of my own. We also have a farm with cows, horses, goats, sheep and chickens, with one goat being milked every night and we both work full time and volunteer on the fire department.
    I find that my lunch hour is the easiest time for me to workout most days. I try and plan something that wont make me to sweaty for work, or work out at the rec center where I can get a quick shower. I have a deal worked out with my supervisor where I can come in a little early and take a little longer lunch to workout :)
    Feel free to add me! Im just getting back to logging and working out consistantly
  • sallunia
    sallunia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this myself! I am a first time mom. My son is 14 months. I've been back at work full time since he was 3 months old - by necessity as well :-(
    I tried the waking up before everyone else and that didn't work out well. I just recently joined a gym very close to my job- I go on my lunch break. So far, this is working out well. I also follow this app - Blogilates and do at home quick exercises. I try to eat as healthy as possible and track everything here.
  • ThisisnotTinder
    ThisisnotTinder Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's definitely difficult to fit it all in and its a matter of prioritizing and making time for yourself. I have 3 kids...1 in college, a junior in HS and an 8yo. I also work full time and have a p/t bartending job that I work 3 days a week....and I'm divorced. OY! My 8yo has boycotted the gym because she hates the play room. I've even offered to pay her. LOL! So I decided to purchase a treadmill and get on it for 30 minutes whenever I can and I bought a few free weights for home. I'm fortunate that I can pass off a few household chores to my girls so that helps with keeping caught up on mundane tasks.

I know you have a newborn but I'm not sure how old your other 2 are. But I find if I make my 8yo a part of my exercise routine...some how.....I'm more able to get a quick workout in. Remember...abs are made in the kitchen. Your diet plays a huge role in the weight loss game and you've already got that figured out :-)

Good luck to you!
  • captgalactic
    captgalactic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My kids are still little enough (3 and 1) that they enjoy riding in the jogging stroller. So two days a week, I pick them up from daycare and go for a run with them in the double stroller. I would think that might be too hard with three, but maybe there is some way to incorporate play time with your kids into your exercise. When I took my son to the park yesterday, I had my daughter strapped to me in a carrier, and was chasing him around, climbing up and down the play structures with him, and it was a workout! I also incorporate yoga throughout my day at work. When I stop to pump, I also do some yoga exercises. It is like 5 minutes at a time, but adds up throughout the day!

I find that I really have to stay on top of meal planning and meal prep or I get either stressed or end up taking the easy way out and eating out or ordering in. I do a lot of frozen crockpot meals that I only have to prep once a month, and then just heat when it is time.

Being an engineer, I have actually laid out everything for getting ready in the morning to be as efficient as possible, so we just grab and go. That doesn't have a lot to do with eating and exercising, but helps keep me sane. Being efficient in that area of my life makes the exercise and eating seem more manageable.

I also have an awesome nutritional councilor through my work that helps put things in perspective for me and remind me that I am doing an awesome job even when I feel stressed and like I am sucking at everything. Sometimes having a friend or someone external to remind you of how awesome you are can make a huge difference.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you want some more support.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have two kids (7.5 and 6). I am actually finding it hard now to stay motivated. Between working full time and their homework and activities, I am just tired. I start work at 6:30am, and there's just no way I am waking up earlier to work out (night owl here). I try to work out after I put them to bed, but I had not been consistent. I really need to keep it up, and also to eat less. Good luck.
  • erinistehawesome
    erinistehawesome Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in walks or walking up and down stairs on breaks at work. I have no motivation to try anything more time-consuming that that right now! (Working FT, 2.5 yo and 4 mo at home)