What to do for Breakfas

Options
He everyone, this morning I ate a bagel with cream cheese and a spinach smoothie... As of this afternoon I have a remaining 550 calories remaining... I need help with this breakfast thing, any ideas on what to have for breakfast that wont break the calorie bank so quick?

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bagels are usually packed with calories! Does the spinach smoothie not fill you? With the spinach smoothie you could do fruit or yoghurt or oatmeal
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the "thin" bagels? The ones I like are the Thomas Everything Bagels, the "thin" version and it only has 110 calories. 2 TBSP of fat free Philadelphia strawberry cream cheese only has 40 cals. I like to pair that with a lite sausage link (40c) or an egg (or both) for a nice low cal, but satisfying, breakfast. :)

What about oatmeal? It is filling and you can stir in fresh fruit, peanut butter, etc depending on what you're wanting
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    -oatmeal with blueberries
    -1 whole egg, + 1 egg white (scrambled) with 1 sausage
    -protein shake

Those are my usual breakfasts.
  • enchanted_dream2006
    Options
    eggs are also great and quick to make. they arent filled with a lot of calories. if you choose yogurt you should get plain yogurt and add your favorite berries to it also great and not packed with calories!!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    This morning, I had a scrambled egg, 2 pieces of toast and a small amount of butter, and grilled pineapple. It was just under 300 calories for the meal. Worked for me. :)
  • courtneyz0rz
    Options
    I make omelets most mornings. I used an egg product that has 30 calories a serving and it tastes just like real eggs. Throw in a sprinkle of cheese and maybe some sliced ham and it is delicious.
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats... they don't taste like much, but they are satisfying and stave off hunger. I cook it in the evening and store in the fridge because I don't want to wait 20 minutes for it to cook in the am...
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Switch to English Muffins if you HAVE to have a bread-like item for breakfast. Better yet, (as mentioned) replace it with a cup of oatmeal.

I agree with others, Put fresh fruit in your smoothie.

Another filling item with lots of protein is an egg. An egg takes even less time to cook than a bagel to heat up. Scramble yourself and egg with fresh vegetables mixed into it.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Sandwich thins are great and only 100 calories. You can do them with eggwhites with lots of spinach and a little feta cheese - and you will be under 200 calories.
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Oatmeal! A bagel with cream cheese has lots of calories but won't fill you up. If you want a direct replacement try wholemeal toast, or rye bread toast or brown soda bread toast with cottage cheese. This will taste similar, fill you up longer and be lighter on calories. How about peanut butter or tahini on toast? It will have a similar amount of calories but fill you up longer and have good fats and protein.
    Personally I tend to go for oatmeal or muesli with soy milk.I don't like to scrimp on calorie spending at breakfast or I'll pick at stuff for the rest of the day. Do make those first calories of the day count or you'll be sorry when you're hungry and have no calorie allowance left!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and cream of wheat are great (get the whole grain kind). trader joe's (if you have on around) sells freeze dried, no sugar added fruit that is very low in calories (the serving size is usually the entire bag). The blueberries, strawberries, and bananas are great with the oatmeal and cinnamon. I don't use enough of any of the fruit to even feel like i need to count those calories (i'd say 20cals or less, though)

also jimmy deans makes pretty healthy breakfast sandwiches (230-260cals each). I like the egg whites, canadian bacon and cheese english muffin (whole wheat bread), and is 230cals. they also make the same thing except with turkey sausage and you can get it on either a wheat bagel or the english muffin (260cals).

if i have time, i make my own version of the jimmy deans with less calories, but the jimmy deans tastes better haha
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure if you planned ahead a little, but I would imagine you ate something and then recorded it. It helps to figure out calories in advance, if possible, so you don't end up in a lurch afterward.
  • meryllb
    meryllb Posts: 28
    Options
    eggs! i use 1 egg and mix in the egg whites that come in the carton, with lots of veggies! i use spinach, mushrooms, bellpeppers, onions, etc. i also use deli sliced ham or turkey, usually around 60 cals for 4 slices, and a cheese slice on top, provolone is usually 60 cals a slice. you can make a pretty big omelette for around 200 - 250 cals.

if you're in the mood for something sweet, make french toast! i use eggwhites, vanilla soymilk and splenda to make the "batter" and use plain old oven joy bread (100 cals for 2 slices). oh and if you sprinkle brown sugar on it while its cooking it makes a yummy glaze, and you don't even need syrup! if you do, vons carries light and sugar free versions.
  • JLink823
    JLink823 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sometimes I eat 1 cup fat free cottage cheese mixed with 1/2 cup mandarin oranges. Together, this has 250 calories, 0 fat, 35 grams carbs & 28 grams protein.
    Another choice for breakfast is a healthy made Oatmeal Raisin muffin (about 115 calories) with 5 scrambled egg whites (about 85 calories).
    I always try to stay at about 350 calories or less, 5 grams of fat or less, and equal amount of carbs to protein.
  • tarmlin01
    tarmlin01 Posts: 18
    Options
    the spinach smoothie is made with two cups packed spinach, one med. banana, 1 cup blueberries and two cups water.. It is not enough for me... And it is a 1 cup serving...
  • tarmlin01
    Options
    That is exactly what I did... Ate something then recorded it... I will try this planning ahead deal... I am very busy though, I am a full time mom who homeschools three kids, the founder and Vice President of a nonprofit organization. But like exercise I guess I have to schedule it in. LOL I just need to start choosing smarter.
  • tarmlin01
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful ideas... I will try them out... It is better than feeling like I am starving by the time lunch came around!! And no i was good at lunch, had two cups salad greens, with 2tblsp. ranch dressing on the side, which I only ended up eating half of that. A cup of applesauce, and peanut butter on a cup of apple slices....

Now onto what to make for supper LOL... guess I best plan that one!!!
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    the spinach smoothie is made with two cups packed spinach, one med. banana, 1 cup blueberries and two cups water.. It is not enough for me... And it is a 1 cup serving...

try adding a cup of plain yogurt for the water in your smoothie or milk.
  • RoxanneLeskie
    Options
    I use egg substitute and a whole bunch of veggies(onion, peppers and mushrooms) that I cut up and keep in the fridge, I get the protein from the eggs subs, and the veggies fill me up if I'm really hungry I'll have a piece of whole wheat toast with it or a pkg of oatmeal. All done 10 minute breakfast and very filling. You'll have to be reminded to eat lunch. Good Luck
  • tarmlin01
    Options
    Awesome idea thank you so much for that.....:smile: