Weight lifting and losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Does weight lifting help in losing weight? I've always thought that lifting weight adds more weight so I have been just dieting and watching calories. I'm eating at a deficit and really changed the way I eat.

I'm losing weight but it seems extremely slow. Would weight lifting be something I should add? Last month I did 30-40 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and it really didn't help with weight loss. So this month, I decided to just focus on calories. It's about the same. A friend recently said weight lifting would make a huge difference so I've been trying to do some research on it. I'm new to the fitness game and I really only have time for cardio OR lifting weight at the moment. Thanks!

Weight lifting increases muscle mass, which in turn increases the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis. I highly suggest adding weight lifting - lifting heavy specifically. I used to be an avid "eat light + cardio" person, and saw that I was thin, but not defined like I wanted. Once I started lifting, I appear to be more toned, and although I've put on lbs. I look thinner and more in shape. Overall, great experience.
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Does weight lifting help in losing weight? I've always thought that lifting weight adds more weight so I have been just dieting and watching calories. I'm eating at a deficit and really changed the way I eat.

I'm losing weight but it seems extremely slow. Would weight lifting be something I should add? Last month I did 30-40 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and it really didn't help with weight loss. So this month, I decided to just focus on calories. It's about the same. A friend recently said weight lifting would make a huge difference so I've been trying to do some research on it. I'm new to the fitness game and I really only have time for cardio OR lifting weight at the moment. Thanks!

Weight lifting increases muscle mass, which in turn increases the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis. I highly suggest adding weight lifting - lifting heavy specifically. I used to be an avid "eat light + cardio" person, and saw that I was thin, but not defined like I wanted. Once I started lifting, I appear to be more toned, and although I've put on lbs. I look thinner and more in shape. Overall, great experience.

I agree, I have just started, but I am already loving adding lifting into my routine.