Coffee

Options
Hey all, does coffee effect my weight loss in anyway?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes/no/maybe

Coffee has a few calories. It's so low that I don't log it but many people do.

What you put in your coffee may be quite caloric so you should log that stuff.

But coffee does not have weight loss stop/start qualities on its own outside of the calorie issue.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Only if you put enough stuff in it to go over your calorie goal.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Hey all, does coffee effect my weight loss in anyway?

If you're getting a Frapp from Starbuck's every day (or even a sugary latte from Dunkin, etc.) it will be detrimental to your calorie deficit. Just pre-log and make sure that it fits into your day. Lots of us here on MFP are coffee addicts. Just have to cut out the excess sugar and additives to squeeze it in. It won't speed up your metabolism or anything awesome though.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Caffeine - Yes. It increase Insulin, which halts fat burning ad increases fat storage.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I count my coffee. For example... I get a large iced coffee (32 oz) from Dunkin' Donuts, black with splenda and a little bit of ice. MFP has it as 20 cal., which sounds about right to me. I drink approx 3 a day, that's 60 calories that I can either log in and account for or not log it and not realize that I've drank 60 calories that day.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just log it and see what the calories add up to. 1 sugar + a "splash" of creamer x 3 definitely adds up and would impact your calorie totals for the day. You will need to measure your "splash" as well to have a rough idea if it is 1tbsp, 2tbsp, etc...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Coffee, dark, no sugar. Just a little bit (tablespoon at most) of milk (whole , 1%, 2%, I detest skim). Coffee doesn't need sugar, coffee should taste like coffee. The milk is just to cut the acid down a touch. I tried a self ground light roast recently, doesn't need the milk.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Coffee - no
    Sugar and creamer - yes

What is really insane is some of the fancy coffee house coffees with additives can amount to the calorie equivalent of a meal.
  • bib687
    bib687 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body's tolerance levels. Caffeine is a stimulant and can have an effect on your metabolism, although 3/day isn't going to do too much. However if it gives you the 'kick' you need to get going/moving during the day, then indirectly it's going to effect your calorie burn.