Pop Cravings - Suggestions?

Options
I often find myself craving pop and I will normally have a zero-calorie version but I find that's leading me to want to snack on junk foods with it.

Any suggestions as to what to substitute this craving with? I have heard of soda water with lemon, etc. but I am interested in your solutions. Thanks!

Replies

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've never had the issue but could you try watering it down gradually?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have been a pop addict for a long time. I quit cold turkey and replaced with Crystal Light for several months. Eventually I was able to add it back in but the habitual drinking was broken.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Try switching to soda water/club soda.
    It was the bubbles I wanted not the sweetness or flavour. Club soda may curb the 'junk' cravings too.

I got a Soda Stream. You can get diet pop syrup for them. That may help you water them down. I have never bothered with them, I switched from full sugar pop to soda water in a day.
    I now find flavoured pop just tastes awful; sweet water ugh.

Cheers, h.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I will drink an occasional diet soda, but I can also tell that it makes me crave more junk food. I usually drink water, iced tea, or a Sobe Life Water. The Life Water also has zero calories but no aspartame. It doesn't seem to trigger cravings for me.
  • SeeEmilyShrink
    SeeEmilyShrink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a pop drinker, but a lot of the girls I work with are working to kick the habit. They do flavored sparkling water. It's zero calories, but then you still get the flavor and the carbonation that you would get with pop. You can get cans of it at the store to grab and go!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love plain soda water but there are also the flavored ones which can be pretty good. You could also try something like coconut water.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If she is craving sugar because of artificial sweeteners (I have never experienced this but some do) than drinking flavored sparkling water would do the same thing as well because it contains artificial sweeteners as well
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Make the conscious decision that you're in control of yourself and you decide what you put in your body.

If you stop drinking soda it is going to suck at first but eventually the cravings will pass.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Can I just say after living in MO for a year, it's so refreshing to see it referred to as "pop" again?

I know you said you've already heard about it, but flavored soda water really did help me. Just be sure to buy the kind without sweeteners or added sodium (there a lot of good ones out there). At $1.00 per liter and often on sale in my area, they're not a bad price either.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @ManiacalLaugh pop is a northern English term too. I am now in western Canada and it isn't used as much.

Cheers, h.
  • azongaro
    azongaro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start drinking more water. Drink a glass before you have a soda. Try to shift your thinking to "water is for thirst, pop is a treat." I look at soda like ice cream: if Im going to have it, it's more of a dessert and I savor it rather than guzzling it down like water. Over time, I've come to find that water is more appealing as a way to hydrate.

I've also found that Kombacha (a fermented tea, found in health food stores or maybe the organic/overly-priced-single-serve-specialty juice section of your grocery store) can replace soda for me. It has the carbonation but low calories and no artificial sweeteners - in fact, it isn't very sweet at all. Since its fermented, it does have trace amounts of alcohol, just in case that's an issue.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I replaced my pop with tea and coffee.

My brothers fiancé says coke. We're like "you want a pop?" And now we got her son saying pop. He even corrects her.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I just stopped drinking pop a little over a month ago. I just decided cold turkey was the best way for me personally. The first 2 weeks were super hard but, after that it got a little easier. I still crave it when we go out to eat but, I am pretty sure it is out of habit more than anything. Only sucky thing is I don't like much else besides plain water like tea or lemonade or most flavored waters. If you do you will probably have better luck.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light. I've been off pop for months now and it's been so much easier just by putting a packet of Crystal Light into a liter bottle of water. And it's helping me drink way more water!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    Crystal Light. I've been off pop for months now and it's been so much easier just by putting a packet of Crystal Light into a liter bottle of water. And it's helping me drink way more water!

Though if the op has craving issues from artificial sweeteners and wants to avoid them Crystal light is a bad choice (I have no issues with artificial sweeteners or crystal light)
  • calabro113
    calabro113 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    drink more beer.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling water is a good substitute for the fizz factor - most are zero calories. I also like Kombucha. It has a fizzy-ness plus is really good for you! I make my own Kombucha and my favorite flavors to add are raspberry, blueberry and lemon-ginger. Only about 35 calories per 8 oz.

Also try making infused water - put a pitcher of water in the fridge with a few berries, lemon slices, or cucumber. Whatever strikes your fancy. Leave overnight then enjoy. It will have a slight flavor of whatever you put in it. Yum!
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love the flavored sparkling waters that are store brands. They are .68 cents per leiter at Walmart and I think the same at Safeway. My favorite flavor is White Grape but there are tons of favors. It gives you the flavor and the fizz and it satisfies the pop craving while still sort of getting you away from the pop so that you can give it up for good. Less chemicals for sure than pop.

Second alternative is to get some unflavored seltzer or lightly flavored with lemon or orange. Pour almost a full glass of it and then top it off with about 1/4 cup of your favorite juice. Preferably a lower calorie juice but at 1/4 cup, it's not going to break the calorie bank and it sure does satisfy a craving.