Exercise all at one time or spread out?

Options
T0M_K
T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
Just curious your thoughts on exercise such as cardio and multiple times per day vs one longer session?

For example, Say i go walk at lunch time for 30 minutes, then later say run 15 minutes on the treadmill or when the weather gets better, a shorter run outdoors at night...I assumptions are that this is an accumulated benefit but curious how others feel.

Thanks

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i actually prefer to spread mine out and stay active all throughout the day. plus i dont have one solid block of time to complete my whole workout, so i have to spread it out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends...if you're working on endurance and stamina you're going to need to do long sessions in one stint to build that up. If you're just exercising for the sake of exercising, it doesn't really matter.

I do most of my cardiovascular work in one stint as I am an endurance rider...that's not to say that I'm not going to walk my dog in the evening even though I road 25 miles that morning...it's that one is training and the other is recreational activity. I also have a few days per week where I ride in the AM and lift in the PM...but in that case, I'm also training different aspects of my fitness. Sometimes when I'm training for an event, I just hit time constraints and I might have to split up my rides on a given day just to get in the miles...it's not optimal, but at least I'm getting in the miles.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends...if you're working on endurance and stamina you're going to need to do long sessions in one stint to build that up. If you're just exercising for the sake of exercising, it doesn't really matter.

^^^^ This

Of course the most important consideration is what fits into your schedule.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I do most of my cardiovascular work in one stint as I am an endurance rider...that's not to say that I'm not going to walk my dog in the evening even though I road 25 miles that morning...it's that one is training and the other is recreational activity. I also have a few days per week where I ride in the AM and lift in the PM...but in that case, I'm also training different aspects of my fitness. Sometimes when I'm training for an event, I just hit time constraints and I might have to split up my rides on a given day just to get in the miles...it's not optimal, but at least I'm getting in the miles.

Right now its just a little boost to my daily calorie burn (little boost) and for the health benefit.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I usually do one 2-hour session per day. 15 minutes stretching, 40-60 minutes lifting and 20 minutes cardio + time in between for breaks, rest, etc.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If it fits your schedule to do 2 workouts then do 2 workouts. If you can fit in one long workout that's fine too. If you are working on stamina, then definitely go for the longer workout.

On Tuesdays both my children have dance class at different times in the day, their dance studio is also attached to a gym so I workout twice every Tuesday out of convenience.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends on my day. I usually have to just knock everything out at once, because I'm pretty time-crunched most of the time, but on certain days, especially since I work nights as a nurse, I'll do a regular workout before work, then do some stairs at work because I won't be doing any more working out after that; I like to sleep, haha.

It doesn't hurt to split it up or do it all at once. Whatever works for you.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I used to do all my exercise in one go in the morning. Now I find it more convenient to be active throughout the day. Typically during the week I'll do 30-45 minutes of exercise in the morning, then a 10 minute walk at my 10am break, 20 minute walk on my lunch break, and if I'm able, another 10 minute walk at my 3pm break
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This exact same question was asked yesterday (in regards to more than once a day), but it was referring to exercising more than once a day relieving or helping with anxiety.. It was interesting how many people said yes they did exercise more than once a day.

But yes, I exercise twice a day if nothing more than for mental balance. I run at 5:30 a.m. and lift before lunch. It is not practical to do both of those back to back and doing this does not fit most peoples schedules.

I work at home so this doable and I can get up from the desk job and relieve some stress, stay active and mentally clear so it is a win win for me.