Talking on the phone at the gym

Options
I was at my gym today and a girl got on the machine next to me while talking on her cell phone. At first I thought she might be just ending a call but she continued talking for the 25 minutes I had left of my run.

I found it annoying but was hesitant to say something because 1) this is my work gym and, 2) I wasn't sure if this is poor gym etiquette or if I'm just easily annoyed.

So, would I be out of line to say something if this happens again?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Meh. I would ignore her (especially since I have my headphones in).
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Happened to me yesterday. Daughter came over and gave her the phone. It was also in french or something. She wasn't loud, thankfully. But atleast go outside if you have a call?
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think you should just ignore it or turn your headphones up if it bothers you. You can also move to another treadmill.

I'm allergic to perfumes and when I go to movies sometimes someone wearing a ridiculous amount will sit near me and it'll start to trigger a migraine. I just get up and move to another seat. Something their doing annoys me but they're well within their rights to do it, so if I want to discontinue the experience the burden is on me to change my situation, not theirs.

If two people are on treadmills next to each other and have a conversation is that going to bother you as well?

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I think you should just ignore it or turn your headphones up if it bothers you. You can also move to another treadmill.

I'm allergic to perfumes and when I go to movies sometimes someone wearing a ridiculous amount will sit near me and it'll start to trigger a migraine. I just get up and move to another seat. Something their doing annoys me but they're well within their rights to do it, so if I want to discontinue the experience the burden is on me to change my situation, not theirs.

If two people are on treadmills next to each other and have a conversation is that going to bother you as well?

Very much the reason I asked the question here - it could be that I'm just easily annoyed and talking on the phone at the gym is totally appropriate.

Regarding two people talking next to each other, it doesn't bother me. I think it's a lot like going to a restaurant - background noise of people having a conversation versus someone on their cell phone is much different.

Meh, looks like I'm just easily irritated. I'll crank the headphones up higher next time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Meh...people have conversations with each other all of the time in the gym...that doesn't bother me, not sure why someone on the phone would. They're probably not getting the best workout, but that's not any of my concern.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On cardio equipment is fine, like others have said, people talk to each other on the cardio equipment. But I get annoyed when people are on the phone tying up benches or other equipment without actually using it when I could be putting it to good use. However, I don't have any problems asking them if I can work in while they're on the phone either. Haha.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The last gym I went to had signs up all over that it wasn't allowed. I would check with your gym rules. If it's a policy, ask them to enforce it. If it's not, suggest they consider it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The last gym I went to had signs up all over that it wasn't allowed. I would check with your gym rules. If it's a policy, ask them to enforce it. If it's not, suggest they consider it.

My gym has the same signs.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »

Very much the reason I asked the question here - it could be that I'm just easily annoyed and talking on the phone at the gym is totally appropriate.

Regarding two people talking next to each other, it doesn't bother me. I think it's a lot like going to a restaurant - background noise of people having a conversation versus someone on their cell phone is much different.

Meh, looks like I'm just easily irritated. I'll crank the headphones up higher next time.

I totally get it. People talking on cell phones annoys me no matter where it is, but it's just me being a cantakerous old man and remembering a time when people in public went about their business and kept their yaps shut.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me unless they were only using the machine (or bench, or weights) as a resting spot while they chatted. Or, if they were super annoyingly loud. But that's rude whether you're on the phone or chatting in person.

Otherwise, I think it's fine. People can talk. It's not supposed to be a quiet atmosphere. It's not the library.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    I checked and we don't have a policy regarding cell phone use in the gym. It's a small gym and pretty informal. I think it annoyed me because I could hear the conversation over my headphones and it took me out the zone I was in.

Also, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. I'll work on that.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If she was legit talking on her phone and holding it up to her face while sitting on the machine and not utilizing it, I'd be annoyed. But I happen to talk on my headphones to family/friends on a somewhat regular basis just because it makes time pass quicker (and I work 8-hour days + 3 hour "working" commute so it's my only time to really talk to them.) I still work out while holding a conversation. The excellent perk of in-headphone microphones.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I checked and we don't have a policy regarding cell phone use in the gym. It's a small gym and pretty informal. I think it annoyed me because I could hear the conversation over my headphones and it took me out the zone I was in.

Also, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. I'll work on that.

I don't think you're a curmudgeon at all. I feel the same way when someone is talking on the phone like that.

1. People tend to talk much much louder when they're on the phone.
    2. The other person in the conversation isn't even there.

It's very poor etiquette to talk loudly on the phone in public like that. Sadly it's not really our right to tell someone not to do that. Don't know if that helps but you're not alone in feeling like this.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @peaceout_aly - Nope, she was using headphones. I thought about the fact that she was probably talking to pass the time. It bothered me that I could hear it over my music but as I said, I'll just crank it up louder next time.

@_Waffle_ - I think you're right - people talk much louder, especially when you have to talk over the background noise at the gym. I won't say anything if it continues to happen, though I definitely appreciate knowing I'm not alone in feeling this way.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    that would drive me nuts. i cant stand when people talk in the gym, especially on their phone. yes im easily annoyed.

and if i can hear you over my earbuds-which are as loud as they go and pretty loud at that.... you are talking way too loud.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If they were just yapping away without using the equipment then I would be annoyed.
    Although sometimes I like to eavesdrop if their conversation is juicy.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't talk on the phone at the gym as a general rule for myself BUT you better believe if the school calls or my mom calls (one kid is with her), I am answering. Usually our gym is pretty loud between the fans and the people yaking it up, so while I try to be quiet, I'm not real concerned.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I might tell someone nicely that it's a bit loud, but I think that it's a good use of their time honestly :)

I've had some folks get mad at me for telling them that their phone conversations are a bit loud (laid back and nicely, I swear). I don't care if it gets them mad. But it also works sometimes, so if it seems doable you might give it a shot.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's rude, hands down. If your music doesn't block it out and it really bothers you, I would tell the front desk and let them handle it.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If she was speaking at an "inside voice" volume, and was actually using the treadmill... I'd have no problem with it. Seems like a great way to pass the time on the treadmill without noticing. I have one at home, I feel like it could go quicker.

Was she being loud when talking, louder than the gym equipment around her would warrant her to be? If so, I'd just turn my volume on max. Depending on the gym, volume isn't really a problem... Stepbro used to bodybuild. Sooooo loud in his gyms!