Just binged about 4000-4500 calories....

Options
Hi so Im on a caloric deficit to shed some body fat of about 1850 calories I'm 5 9 160 but I'm trying to also maintain my muscle mass. Anyways today I ate about 4500 calories... I feel terrible now what should I do? Should I fast for 24 or even 48 hours? I've fasted for 24 hours once before so I could do it again... Just need some tips so I don't halt my fat loss as much as possible!

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't look for a rule here. You're probably going to be full the rest of today and maybe even much of tomorrow. Just wait until you're hungry again to eat but don't torture yourself.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do NOT fast; it will be more likely to set you up for another binge. GO back to your regular goal. Do a post-mortem on why you binged - hunger? emotions? - and try to plan for the next time.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Eat when youre honestly hungry, but don't go overboard 'punishing' yourself. Just get back on track where you are. Instead of reacting emotionally, try to look at it with a dispassionate curiosity... Where did it start to go off the rails and why? Could you have planned differently? What might you try instead next time you are faced with similar triggers or circumstances? That's WAY more important information than a few thousand measly calories one way or the other.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is forget about it and look forward. The sooner you can learn to shake off shame/guilt the better. If you are full tomorrow, definitely eat less (but "nothing" might be too restrictive). If you are hungry tomorrow, eat at your normal deficit and consider whether you have set your deficit too high.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    log it and start new tomorrow.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...we all do it to varying degrees. Log it and start again tomorrow with a new awareness. Xxx
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Log it, tomorrow is a new day. I have this problem too.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and get back on track. There will be bumps in the road ahead. Perseverance is key.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not punish yourself. Life is full of two things, blessings and lessons. This is a lesson, so learn from it and do better next time. I doubt you even stalled your weight loss if it was just one day. People have 'cheat' days all the time and keep on going and losing. Keeping on trucking. Eye on the prize.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Start afresh tomorrow. You'll probably find that you aren't that hungry tomorrow anyway so you'll end up eating less than usual. Don't fast. If you must do anything, do some extra cardio to mitigate the additional calories today?
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    At least you wont be hungry today you may feel miserable but it was one day just learn from it and tomorrow is a new day
  • miryamch420
    miryamch420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just had a 2000 calories dinner with friends. Total of the day over 3000 calories. So yeah I know how you feel. I wish there was a magic eraser to undo what I did tonight, but there isn't. So I have to suck it up and try not to let it happen again.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    diddyninja wrote: »
    Hi so Im on a caloric deficit to shed some body fat of about 1850 calories I'm 5 9 160 but I'm trying to also maintain my muscle mass. Anyways today I ate about 4500 calories... I feel terrible now what should I do? Should I fast for 24 or even 48 hours? I've fasted for 24 hours once before so I could do it again... Just need some tips so I don't halt my fat loss as much as possible!

Do nothing. 3000 calories will add about 1 lb. Go back to your 1850 diet tomorrrow and enjoy the full belly today. You just tripped up. forget it an move on.
    Just curious, what/ how mucj did you eat? if you dont mind sharing. Im on a calorie deficit also and often feel like going all in for a day. just curious what it would take.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do NOT fast; it will be more likely to set you up for another binge. GO back to your regular goal. Do a post-mortem on why you binged - hunger? emotions? - and try to plan for the next time.

Great advice. If you dont understand what triggered it you can not plan to overcome the urge if it hits again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't look for a rule here. You're probably going to be full the rest of today and maybe even much of tomorrow.

HAHAHA.

Really jealous of people who actually have that happen to them.

OP - your regular deficit will do just fine. Fasting and trying to make up for it by eating too little will just make you binge again.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't fast or try to make up for it or it may lead to a cycle of binging and starving IMO.

Forgive yourself. We're all human and this stuff is hard! I once ate a bag of chocolate pretzels that were 2000+ calories for breakfast when I first started losing weight!

Start again tomorrow and stick to your goal. Remember how bad you feel now if that helps you stick to your goal in the future (sometimes that helps me)
  • archie313
    archie313 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consider a scale that calculates your body fat in addition to your weight. There are several out there, this is the one I have (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1YPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00) You want to see both your weight and body fat decrease. If only your weight decreases, you're losing muscle mass. To help avoid losing muscle, ensure you're eating enough protein. This site will let you know how much you're getting. If 20% of your daily calories are from protein, that will be plenty. Hope this is useful and good luck!
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just go back to your normal diet/eating habits tomorrow. When I was strictly following my macros, I'd give myself 1 day a week out with husband - that 1 day, with alcohol, I'd have anywhere from 2300 -3600 calories. Normal day would be 1650. (5'5 SW 150). I lost at least 1.5 pounds a week doing that for 6 weeks & 15 pounds lost.
    So I don't think 1 day hurts you at all.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    archie313 wrote: »
    Consider a scale that calculates your body fat in addition to your weight. There are several out there, this is the one I have (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1YPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00) You want to see both your weight and body fat decrease. If only your weight decreases, you're losing muscle mass. To help avoid losing muscle, ensure you're eating enough protein. This site will let you know how much you're getting. If 20% of your daily calories are from protein, that will be plenty. Hope this is useful and good luck!

1. Wrong thread?
    2. Those scales are notoriously inaccurate
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    log it and start new tomorrow.

This.

Don't fast. Don't punish yourself. It's not a moral failing, and in the ABSOLUTE worst-case scenario you set your fat loss goal back by a fraction of a pound/a few days. This is not a big deal. Getting in to a cycle of self-loathing, starving yourself as "punishment," and bingeing again when your mind/body rebel from that, would be a big deal. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Think about what triggered the binge, and how you can avoid that scenario next time.

Then get back on the horse tomorrow.