new vegetarian in need of some dietary guidance!!! help!!!

Options
dbrashers
dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
I'm new to being a vegetarian (about 2 months now!) and this is my first time since then that I've decided to take my weight loss seriously. In the past when I would diet, I would grill up some chicken breast and eat as much lean protein as possible that way, and the pounds would melt off.

So my question to all you seasoned veg*ans about there, Are there any simple suggestions to get a ton of protein without going overboard on my calories? Thanks so much!

Replies

• MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Omelette very good for me and very filling :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    just about everything has protein in it. I've been vegan for 6 1/2 years and my problem is too much protein. You can go ahead and friend me and look at my diary if you would like. That should give you tons of ideas. Soy milk even has it. A lot of vegan meats and vegan cheeses have it in there too. You'd be surprised what does.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, cheese (I love low fat brie and halloumi), greek yoghurt.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink soy protein powder.

I get my protein powder from bodybuilding.com. It's a lot cheaper to buy protein powder online. You could also buy whey protein.
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi-vegetarian (still eat fish), but would find it just as easy to find protein content for my meals - I think you're falling into the trap of thinking to lose weight you fill up on lots of protein. It does help you to lose weight but it's not teaching you to eat a balanced diet. I try (though rarely manage it) to use the guide on MFP to keep within the proper balance of essential food groups and I'm losing weight fine.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    when I became a vegetarian 16 years ago I immediately PUT ON weight ! That was because I wasn't very knowledgable about how many options there are out there ! Although I now call myself "flexatarian" (I try not to and usually don't eat meat) there are so many great things to eat as a veggie. I bulk up a 1/2 serving of pasta with 2 servings of frozen veggies, I eat lots of vegan boca burgers (love them !!!)- they have lots of fiber and protein and very low in calories. If you're not vegan , eggs are great. Also , a roasted portobella mushroom makes an awesome "burger". Mushrooms are generally a great meat substitute. I also love making a veggie chili I adapted from an easy WW recipe. If you'd like the recipe, send me a message and I'll send it to you ! :happy:
  • jaimelee1014
    Options
    Quinoa.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian substitute meats contain lots of protein. Eggs and dairy products also contain lots of protein. Quark is an awesome cheese which is really high in protein and low in fat/carbs.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, whole grains, dark greens, and beans are excellent in aiding weight loss!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Lentils, quinoa, beans (butter beans are my favourite), nuts and seeds, and a nutritionist once told me that rice and broad beans together form a 'complete protein', whatever that is!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, and tofu and soya yoghurt.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, tofu, protein powder, almost all my meat substitutes are high protein. If you friend me you can peek at my diary for ideas.
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Quorn's great - easy to prepare, very low fat, low calorie and high in protein :)
  • dbrashers
    dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! I'm still learning how to create a balanced diet with these new restrictions, but I'm feeling healthier and happier all for it!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Lentils, quinoa, beans (butter beans are my favourite), nuts and seeds, and a nutritionist once told me that rice and broad beans together form a 'complete protein', whatever that is!

Those are some of my favorite foods.....although I have no idea what butter beans are. Beans and rice are sooooo good.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! I'm still learning how to create a balanced diet with these new restrictions, but I'm feeling healthier and happier all for it!

You will get the hang of it eventually.