Dairy with less sugar?

Options
So, I loves me some dairy. :) But my 2 faves for breakfast (yogurt and milk) are loaded with sugar! I'm trying to watch my sugar intake but still get my servings of dairy. What are some other good options? I do eat cheese and cottage cheese... am I missing out on something else that could be great?

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I buy plain yogurt b/c it has less sugar and then add my own berries.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I buy plain yogurt b/c it has less sugar and then add my own berries.

It isn't too bland? I've never tried plain before.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has higher protein with lower sugar. I personally don't like the texture, but many do.

You could try plain yogurt and "doctor" is up to suit your tastes. Add berries, nuts, low fat granola. I like to add cinnamon and splenda to plain yogurt.

Also... I've switched to almond milk, plain, unsweetened. It has 40 cals per cup instead of the 80 in skim milk. It's non dairy. Has practically NO sugar and a dose of healthy fats.

:)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    this may be different, but i like goats milk. it still has sugar, but less. a cup of 2% cows milk has 12g, where a cup of whole goats milk has 8g. i drink the goats milk cause i am lactose intollerant, and it does have a slightly different taste from cows milk, but it is still yummy. along with goats milk yogourt and cheese, they are good too.

as for plain yogourt, it isn't bland at all, it's very tangy, kinda like sour cream. and in fact, if you were to use a plain greek yogourt, you could easily sub it for sour cream. if the fruit you eat it with is sweet enough, it's good, but if they aren't, you can always drizzle a little honey/agave syrup over it. yes they are sugar, but a different kind of sugar that isn't quite as bad.

really though, since the sugar in dairy is good sugar, as compared to processed white sugar, i wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have medical reasons for needing to watch your sugar levels. it's like the sugar in fruit, not something you need to worry about too much if you are getting your sugar intake from it's natural source.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt seems to be all the rage these days. I haven't tried it tho cuz it's so expensive! I may have to try the plain yogurt to go with my fruit in the morning. I do like cottage cheese occasionally, but it's pretty high in sodium.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into soy milk? I bought some Soy Slender chocolate milk just for kicks, it's 70 calories and only 1 sugar. It was really good.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Milk has hardly any sugar lol, so don't worry there :P

As for yogurt, I also recommend plain yogurt. I recommend Mountain High, Brown Cow, and Nancy's off hand. Trader Joes has a lotttt more lol. I use my own fruit on the yogurt as well (frozen mango is really good)...but remember, fruit still has sugar.

I personally dislike Greek Yogurt -- doesn't it typically use honey in it, or am I mistaken? :) I also dislike Yoplait, Danon, and those kinds of yogurts though.

The good stuff tends to costs a bit more money than the sugar-loaded stuff, but it tastes better too :):):)
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Milk has hardly any sugar lol, so don't worry there :P

As for yogurt, I also recommend plain yogurt. I recommend Mountain High, Brown Cow, and Nancy's off hand. Trader Joes has a lotttt more lol. I use my own fruit on the yogurt as well (frozen mango is really good)...but remember, fruit still has sugar.

I personally dislike Greek Yogurt -- doesn't it typically use honey in it, or am I mistaken? :) I also dislike Yoplait, Danon, and those kinds of yogurts though.

The good stuff tends to costs a bit more money than the sugar-loaded stuff, but it tastes better too :):):)

My regular milk has 12g of sugar, and MFP keeps me at 25g of sugar per day. Milk+Cereal=waaaay too much sugar :-( And I looove my cereal. I think I'm going to try the Soy Slender Vanilla milk for my cereal.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about what MFP says for your sugar intake. If you eat a bunch of fruit, you'll be over the limit. How does that even make sense?

Eat the foods you enjoy and if you're losing weight while staying healthy, you're doing it right. If you like milk and yogurt, eat up.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to limit sugars from nutrient dense sources such as dairy and fruit. Assuming you are not diabetic or suffer from another metabolic disorder, sugars are not "unhealthy" and they won't hinder your weight loss in the context of keeping a calorie deficit.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to limit sugars from nutrient dense sources such as dairy and fruit. Assuming you are not diabetic or suffer from another metabolic disorder, sugars are not "unhealthy" and they won't hinder your weight loss in the context of keeping a calorie deficit.

How is this useful other than you trumpeting your nutritional knowledge? The OP never asked if they should limit their sugar, they asked for some dairy alternatives with less sugar. Don't add to the topic if you have nothing useful to add.

As to the OP's actual ask, I would suggest Greek yogurt, a delectable chèvre, or your standard whey protein supplement.