Macros

Options
Im curious to find out what everyone has their macros set at for weight loss. Im 37, 213lbs and 5 foot 1 inches tall. My goal is too lose fat. 60 lbs of it. Currently I have my macros set at 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat.

Does this look right ?

What are your stats and what macro settings have worked for you ?

Replies

• YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did have mine 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. But it was getting really hard to reach so now it's 40% protein and carbs. I still try to get 50% protein if I can though.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a little different. Those are fairly general. I would stick to your calorie goals and if you get triple zero macro days great! If not then just hit your calorie goal. Either way if you are burning more than you are consuming you will lose :)
    Best of luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein. Percentage is not the best way to calculate macro goals; they are bound to end up arbitrary as your calorie need may vary. Your fat and protein needs will be almost contant - set them to 1.4 grams per kilo of your bodyweight at normal BMI. The rest of your calories can be made up as you like - only carbs, or carbs and more fat and/or protein. You have to find out what works for you, though, this is a rule of thumb for a moderate approach, and are supposed to be a help and a guideline. So as stated above, there's no need to fret over not hitting your macro goals exactly. Calories are top priority; and even with calories it's consistency over accuracy. You just have to be accurate enough.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Right now my goals are 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein, which at my "maintenance" goal is 1g protein per 1lb body weight. I only really focus on the protein. If I go over in fat, I really don't care.

But if I were set to losing weight, I'd have to eat an increasingly large portion of protein. I'm building muscle this way (I think!) so my hope is that as my muscle builds, my metabolism heats up and I lose fat.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    65% fat/25% protein/ 10% carbs for me!

There is no consistency between users. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. For those people aiming for 40 and 50% protein, Google rabbit starvation.
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 53 years old, 245 lbs and would like to lose a hundred lbs. I've recently entered into a weight loss drug trial. The drugs are ones that are used for diabetics (although I am not diabetic), not insulin but ones that I think keep your blood glucose more even though the day. The weight loss trial is higher doses of those drugs that have already been in use for years. So I could be getting one of two drugs or a placebo. The trial comes with one year of visits with a dietician and she has been wonderful. Since I've never been a big eater, the drug really isn't helping me lose weight because it has to do with lessening your appetite which in turn would help you eat less. I find that I don't eat enough calories and when I do eat, I eat too high in carbs and fat. So the dietician's advice for me was to stick to 40 fat grams per day which is 360 calories, and stick to no more than 45 carbs per meal and 15 carbs for snacks. Initially she had me only count carbs which was great cause it really helped have a different and new way of counting without counting calories but when I started worrying more about my fat OMG, my body really started changing. I'd been at 250 for years and then I lost a half lb here and there but this week after being really careful with carbs AND fat, I dropped 2.8 lbs in one week. So my advice is to pay attention to your calories but if you pay more attention to fat, then your calories and carbs should automatically fall into place. For me to hit these grams of these macros it's about 30% fat and 40% carbs. It's been sort of fun to count one macro rather than worrying about them all, but make it something different each week. It really helps to make you look at all the angles of what you're eating.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's different on everyone. What works for me might not work for someone. Anyway, the macros that worked for me is 40P, 40C and 20F on the days I weightlift. My rest day macros are different. I change up my macronutrients depending on my activity level on that day. This few months my goal is to shed body fat :) Hopefully :D
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Mine are at 30C, 35P, 35F. I do go over them at times.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    the way i figure my macros is first i went and got a hydrostatic body fat test to see what my lean body mass is, once you get that number then you figure out how many calories you need a day, i went with 1 gram of protein per pound of body of lean body mass, to figure out total fat for the day i went with 20% fat from total calories, the rest of your calories are all carbs so for me it is 172g pro,58g fat, carbs 348g these numbers are for the days i work out only