What's the lowest I can drop the dietary fat macro to without sabotaging hormones?

Options
I know dietary fat isn't spo0o0oky or anything and I don't even need to lose weight, but I'm asking because I just prefer carb sources for personal satisfaction:

In saying that, I would rather heighten carbs as much as possible and lessen fats as much as possible.

But how low can I go without it being detrimental to my hormone levels/testosterone/etc.? Anyone have any medical journals I can look toward?

Input is appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As far as I know the absolute minimum is 10%.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    As far as I know the absolute minimum is 10%.

I'd drop it to 10% instantaneously if I could just find a reputable journal or something. Really hoping someone can pull one out. Right now I'm floating at 20-25%. Hoping to do 60% carbs 30% protein 10% fat if I'm confident I wouldn't be cannibalizing my hormones. In any case, thanks!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Right around .4g of fat per pound of body weight per day. I have nothing to back this up other than the fact that Drs. Mike Israetel and Layne Norton said so.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This is something you discover youself. Try different amounts each week until you notice a difference.

• Trump2016
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Right around .4g of fat per pound of body weight per day. I have nothing to back this up other than the fact that Drs. Mike Israetel and Layne Norton said so.

I recognize both names. I'll dive in and take a look, see the context for the 0.4 figure, etc. - thanks for the suggestion.
    This is something you discover youself. Try different amounts each week until you notice a difference.

It's not as though I haven't tried it before - I have for weeks and still felt great. I just don't know if I can trust that entirely so I wanted to dissect the topic bit more. It's a concern if something's worsening but I can't feel it.

---
    It's alright though - thanks folks. I'll check back here just in case someone's able to narrow it down more.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald recommends 20% as the bare minimum. As stated already, Dr Norton recommends .4 grams per pound.
    Myself, I go with the .4 grams just because it makes more sense to me than a percentage because your fat need doesn't change when you go from cutting to bulking but your calories will.
    If I remember right from last time I did the math, .4 grams comes out to about 30% for me right now (still within the realm of recommended amounts).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Trump2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald recommends 20% as the bare minimum. As stated already, Dr Norton recommends .4 grams per pound.
    Myself, I go with the .4 grams just because it makes more sense to me than a percentage because your fat need doesn't change when you go from cutting to bulking but your calories will.
    If I remember right from last time I did the math, .4 grams comes out to about 30% for me right now (still within the realm of recommended amounts).

Cheers Carlos - thanks for the name. Summing up people's suggestions, I'll continue to float around 20-25%.

No further input needed unless it's info about what specifically happens when we drop it to something like 10-15%. Thanks all.