At what point would you see the doctor about a Plateau in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i would not see a doctor about weight loss, i know my body better than my doctor does. A nutritionist would probably help you more. or even a really good personal trainer, a good one not the local gym trainer.

Since "nutritionist" can mean almost anything, a registered dietitian would be a much better choice.

The woman I see is a registered dietitian. I don't know that I trust her advice too much though. She basically just gave me some hand outs and sent me on my way. I've been to see her 3 times (cause insurance covers it so why not). She gives me some "Atta Girls" and thats pretty much it.
    She just happened to mention at my last visit that if my weight loss ever slowed I might want to mix things up a little and have a higher calorie day once every couple of weeks.
  • caednkat
    Options
    caednkat wrote: »
    WAIT - you've lost 83 pounds in 2016?? - SHEESH GIRL - it is working! Even if you mean in 2015 - keep going, you're doing great!

Thanks! 83lbs since March of 2015. Well, from March-Dec. of 2015. I haven't lost anything since the first of December. Didn't change anything in what I was doing until a few weeks ago. It just stopped working.

For a lot of people, estimates work really well when they are at the beginning of their weight loss, but as they lose weight the margin for error becomes smaller.

Thanks janejellyroll!
    Maybe this will address the problem. I still have a LONG way to go. They make it look so easy on tv. lol
  • caednkat
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    What helped me with weighing food is to keep a scratchpad in the kitchen. I scribble stuff down as I cook. Afterwards I sit with my pad and enter the entries. Otherwise, it takes so long to look up each ingredient I grab the first one I see.

Great idea!!! Thank you! That's exactly what I've been doing. Searching for something and then giving up and picking the thing that seems closest to what I ate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WAIT - you've lost 83 pounds in 2016?? - SHEESH GIRL - it is working! Even if you mean in 2015 - keep going, you're doing great!

Thanks! 83lbs since March of 2015. Well, from March-Dec. of 2015. I haven't lost anything since the first of December. Didn't change anything in what I was doing until a few weeks ago. It just stopped working.

For a lot of people, estimates work really well when they are at the beginning of their weight loss, but as they lose weight the margin for error becomes smaller.

Thanks janejellyroll!
    Maybe this will address the problem. I still have a LONG way to go. They make it look so easy on tv. lol

No kidding!

Honestly, 83 pounds is a great accomplishment. I think when you tighten up your logging, you've got this. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

However since I do cook all our meals from scratch just to keep from having to type everything in I do tend to use things others have put in as a estimate especially for supper.

The problem with doing this is that you don't know what ingredients they used or how big their serving size was. Those two things can really throw things off. It's times like that when the recipe builder and saving things as meals comes in real handy. You only have to enter them in one time and they are saved under those tabs.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Everyone's covered it and you're already going to address what the issue may be, so I'm just going to say: Congrats on your loss so far! That's an amazing amount and I imagine you feel SO much better even if you are frustrated by the stall. Getting rid of those pounds makes a world of difference. Also, that's fantastic that your blood sugar is under control. Good luck with the rest!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    However since I do cook all our meals from scratch just to keep from having to type everything in I do tend to use things others have put in as a estimate especially for supper.

If you cook a lot, it's important that you get in the habit of entering your own recipes/meals. Like a PP mentioned, jot the measurements down while you cook if you cook w/o recipes, but once you've entered the "basic" recipe in the recipe builder, you'll be able to go back & make small adjustments each time you make it w/o too much hassle. Also, weigh your pots, pans, & baking dishes & keep a list on the fridge. After you've made the dish, weigh it, subtract out the pan, divide it by the # of servings you want to get out of it, and then weigh out the individual servings. Once you get the hang of it, it's not as time consuming as you might think.

I just assumed that since I hadn't been eating my exercise calories I was covered for any inaccuracy in my logging. That approach worked for the first 83lbs so I thought it would still work for the rest.

Through my own experience, and that of my friends on MFP, I've come to conclude the body has a mind of it's own and while the math works, it doesn't always match our expectations! I also have gone down 2 pants sizes w/o losing more than a handful of pounds the last couple of months. Doesn't make sense to me, but I do know that your body can't hold out forever when you are in a deficit. It'll happen! Great job so far! :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Whoops- accidentally inserted part of my comment in your quote!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I cook primarily from scratch these days. Like I mentioned above, my scratchpad is my savior. This is what I do (thanks to many tips on here).

1. Scribble down every ingredient and its weight.
    2. Weigh the finished product (family size). Because I often forget to weigh my pan/serving dish before I cook, I have to pour everything into a 2nd bowl (washing an extra bowl is worth it for accuracy).
    3. Then I create the recipe in the recipe builder, logging each ingredient by weight (using usda entries when possible and verifyingon other websites if I need to).
    4. I set # of servings as the total number of grams of the finished product. e.g. 2450g of chicken stirfry.
    5. I weigh my portion and log it. E.g. 250g of chicken stirfry (which will then calculate the accurate calories of my portion)

Hope this helps!!
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    I'm assuming you are not eating enough calories - is your heart rate high? Are you challenging yourself? Try to do something different? My doctor mentioned to me that I have to workout 5-6 times a week for an hour, hour and a half each time in order to loose.. so far it's working. It doesn't hurt to see the doctor though. You're doing great so far!!

If OP isn't losing weight, it's odd to assume that she isn't eating *enough*.

No, not odd. She weighs 270 and is eating 1500-1700 a day. Not enough in my opinion and my research. I didn't look at her logging to see how accurate it is, but I do still think it's too low for right now.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Bingo

Good job on your accomplishment so far, now it's time to tighten up the logging and keep going.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are not eating enough calories

What are you talking about?

Whatever dude. :)

• caednkat
    Options
    I cook primarily from scratch these days. Like I mentioned above, my scratchpad is my savior. This is what I do (thanks to many tips on here).

2. Weigh the finished product (family size). Because I often forget to weigh my pan/serving dish before I cook, I have to pour everything into a 2nd bowl (washing an extra bowl is worth it for accuracy).
    3. Then I create the recipe in the recipe builder, logging each ingredient by weight (using usda entries when possible and verifyingon other websites if I need to).
    4. I set # of servings as the total number of grams of the finished product. e.g. 2450g of chicken stirfry.
    5. I weigh my portion and log it. E.g. 250g of chicken stirfry (which will then calculate the accurate calories of my portion)

Hope this helps!!

That helps so much! Especially setting the number of servings that way! I wouldn't have thought to do that. You just solved what was really holding me back from trying to enter all the meals I make for supper!
    I don't generally use recipes so I never have a good starting off point to log from. Thank you for sharing!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are not eating enough calories - is your heart rate high? Are you challenging yourself? Try to do something different? My doctor mentioned to me that I have to workout 5-6 times a week for an hour, hour and a half each time in order to loose.. so far it's working. It doesn't hurt to see the doctor though. You're doing great so far!!

If OP isn't losing weight, it's odd to assume that she isn't eating *enough*.

No, not odd. She weighs 270 and is eating 1500-1700 a day. Not enough in my opinion and my research. I didn't look at her logging to see how accurate it is, but I do still think it's too low for right now.

It may not be enough -- but it isn't going to keep her from losing weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. You are just eating at a maintenance level...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill daily for 3-4 miles. I don't always enter it daily though. Just depends on if I put my heart rate monitor on or not. Either way I do not eat those calories back.
    I also do hand weights every other day (again not usually logged here since I don't eat those calories). And Yoga. Typically 20-30 minutes of yoga daily at home and I take a 1 hour class at least 3 times a month.

I've tried shaking my exercise up the last few weeks. Raising incline one day. Lower incline and faster speed the next. I've also tried adding a higher calorie day just to see what would happen.

Another thought, how long ago did you start your walking/weights/yoga? Anytime I add new exercise my body always retains water. That could mask weight you are losing. It will come off eventually but the first week or two of a new exercise all my muscles are hanging on to extra water to repair themselves. Just a thought.
  • caednkat
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill daily for 3-4 miles. I don't always enter it daily though. Just depends on if I put my heart rate monitor on or not. Either way I do not eat those calories back.
    I also do hand weights every other day (again not usually logged here since I don't eat those calories). And Yoga. Typically 20-30 minutes of yoga daily at home and I take a 1 hour class at least 3 times a month.

I've tried shaking my exercise up the last few weeks. Raising incline one day. Lower incline and faster speed the next. I've also tried adding a higher calorie day just to see what would happen.

Another thought, how long ago did you start your walking/weights/yoga? Anytime I add new exercise my body always retains water. That could mask weight you are losing. It will come off eventually but the first week or two of a new exercise all my muscles are hanging on to extra water to repair themselves. Just a thought.

Walking I started in June... Started with 1/2 a mile and kept slowly increasing speed until I was up to 3.4mph which is what I walk at currently. I've been at over 3mph since Sept though. Now I'm playing with walking 1 of the 3/4 miles faster. I have a old foot injury that likes to rare it's head if I push too hard and jog or anything.
    Yoga I started in September with a 1 hour class a week and then in October started doing it at home as well.
    Weights are fairly new though. Just in the last month I've been regular with doing those every other day and making sure that I do squats and other body weight lower body exercises on the opposite day from the weights. So maybe that has something to do with it.

I mean I can tell my body is changing because I measure every other month. The scale just doesn't show it.

I'm exhausted all the time, freezing cold and randomly loosing a lot of hair. That has been going on since October. Which made me wonder if it had something to do with why the scale isn't moving.

I logged one of my normal lunch salads as I weighed it today. I didn't get to my breakfast though. 2 sick kids meant I didn't get a chance to weigh everything. I generally haven't because it's just 2 eggs and one piece of toast. I'm interested to see if this makes a big difference though.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Walking I started in June... Started with 1/2 a mile and kept slowly increasing speed until I was up to 3.4mph which is what I walk at currently. I've been at over 3mph since Sept though. Now I'm playing with walking 1 of the 3/4 miles faster. I have a old foot injury that likes to rare it's head if I push too hard and jog or anything.
    Yoga I started in September with a 1 hour class a week and then in October started doing it at home as well.
    Weights are fairly new though. Just in the last month I've been regular with doing those every other day and making sure that I do squats and other body weight lower body exercises on the opposite day from the weights. So maybe that has something to do with it.

I mean I can tell my body is changing because I measure every other month. The scale just doesn't show it.

I'm exhausted all the time, freezing cold and randomly loosing a lot of hair. That has been going on since October. Which made me wonder if it had something to do with why the scale isn't moving.

I logged one of my normal lunch salads as I weighed it today. I didn't get to my breakfast though. 2 sick kids meant I didn't get a chance to weigh everything. I generally haven't because it's just 2 eggs and one piece of toast. I'm interested to see if this makes a big difference though.

Talk to a dr.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!!

This is what I do as well.