Do you go for walks alone?

Options

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I walk alone (at the mall or walking track). Most of the time it's me and the pooch.

What do you think about? Nothing, usually. For me walking is kind of like meditating. It clears and stills my brain.

How long are your walks? Anywhere from 25 to 60 minutes, typically.

What time do you like to walk? As early in the day as possible. Definitely before lunch.

Where do you walk? Around the neighborhood, on the greenway, around a local walking track or at a mall.

Do you listen to music/audiobooks? No.

Do you say hello to other walkers? Or are you too caught up in your own world to notice anyone else? Yes, I almost always speak to other walkers. To not do so here would be considered rude.

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Walk all the time...my morning routine includes walking the kids to daycare and then continuing to the gym (about 2 km). Work out. Then back home. Don't necessarily talk to others but say hello...am usually smiling so people smile back.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Everything. Goals, random crap, how i wish I had someone to walk with but then again not since I'd rather keep my pace and not worry about keeping up with them etc

5 miles. About an hour and whatever minutes

Just depends on the day..

Around the neighborhood - big circle

Nope

i do say hi but not always. Usually the people just look like they want to get the walk/run/bike over with/in their own heads.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    What do you think about? Hmmm.....most of the time I am singing and watching the sunrise.

How long are your walks? My walks are about 2 hours.

What time do you like to walk? Before sunrise while everyone else is still in bed.

Where do you walk? I go to the park.

Do you listen to music/audiobooks? I have an iPod and I listen to music.

Do you say hello to other walkers? Or are you too caught up in your own world to notice anyone else? If I do come across someone I say good morning.

My family is concerned about my walking in the dark. My 30 yr old son just got himself a German Shepherd puppy and I am training him to be my walking partner. He is only 12 weeks old and our walks right now are brief. He is learning to walk on a leash and is doing well. I am looking forward to my future walks with him.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do 20 lap blocks around the perimeter of my house/yard (I have 2 side gates on opposite sides of the yard) throughout the day and get a minimum of 20,000 steps every day doing this. Have never timed how long a block takes me.. But will do now.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I walk with my dog 2 or 3 mornings a week (after sunrise), and we go for about 3 to 4 miles on the horse trail here. Sometimes we just meander through the neighborhood and other times we make it to the park about 2 miles away.

I trained her when she was only 4 months old so she's a great walking partner and very athletic. We run about half of the miles.

And yes I listen to music........loud......and still say hi to other walkers!
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice and warm I try to walk every day I do not go to the gym. I always walk alone. I just put on my headphones, listen to my music and walk the hilly streets in my neighborhood.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I walk alone all the time.

I am always aware of my surroundings.

I carry a gun.

LOL.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I go for walks all the time in the summer. Its my favorite way to end the day.

What do you think about? I try to clear my head of everything from that day. Otherwise I plan different events I have coming up

How long are your walks? Depends on the above. The more I have going through my head, the longer I walk.

What time do you like to walk? Usually night time, after dinner. I have been known to go out at like 2-3am if I have insomnia.

Where do you walk? Around my neighborhood. I live in the burbs, so its nice and quiet.

Do you listen to music/audiobooks? Nope, just my thoughts.

Do you say hello to other walkers? Or are you too caught up in your own world to notice anyone else? I do, as a courtesy. I think too many people ignore each other, so its good to say hello.
  • Kiahz
    Kiahz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lol maybe not the best first question, yeah I walk alone, also leave my back door unlocked and curtains open
  • AnneBrader
    AnneBrader Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I walk best with a walking bidding . Helps me stay motivated and a countable . I walk mornings after school starts . I walk four mornings a week and since it's still a bit cold out we walk inside Lowe's . It's about four miles by the time I'm done . But once the weather gets nicer I walk twice a day
  • Birkah
    Birkah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like to walk a 5K about mid-morning, just before my coffee wears off completely. Goal is to eventually run the blasted distance, but I need to rebuild the muscles around my knee from an injury. I take the dog, since she's a Catahoula who has become more of a Fat-ahoula/Couch-ahoula mix in the last several weeks. I think about life, the universe, and everything, and try to be as zen as possible while trying to convince my crazy canine that the cars passing are not, in fact, going to eat her. I live in a rural area, so it's to the end of my road and back (no sidewalks), and I haven't seen any other walkers/runners so far. I pop in one earbud with the classic rock FM station, just to keep my pace faster than mere moseying.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 40 minutes each way of my commute, and either around the park near my office, or to the nearest shops and back if I've forgotten anything I want for lunch (30 minutes). Mornings I switch between total silence and loud music, lunchtimes I tend to listen to podcasts, evenings it's usually loud music again.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP are you a stalker of walkers? LOL
  • jpw1962
    jpw1962 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I walk alone, and don't mind, it clears my mind and I like to enjoy the views walking wooded trails.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What do you think about?

Anywhere my mind takes me: nature around me, work, men, childhood memories, alien invasion:)

How long are your walks?

Depends on how much time I have. Anywhere from a short walk around the track on my 15 minute break at work to a 30 mile hike on some great forest trails.

What time do you like to walk?

Woods during daylight hours, city or track by work day or night.

Where do you walk?

Hiking trails, track at work, around the city

Do you listen to music/audiobooks?

No. I prefer the sound of my surroundings.

Do you say hello to other walkers? Or are you too caught up in your own world to notice anyone else?

Sometimes I'll say hi. Sometimes I'll just nod and smile.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot. While I don't mind running, walking has been better on my knees and lower back.

Normally, I walk with my wife and we walk about 3 or 4 times a week. With it being winter in Michigan that is no easy feat. The walks are usually based on distance as opposed to time. Walks range anywhere from 3 miles to 9 miles, with a pace of about 16:30 per mile. We/I have a few places we walk, neighborhood, one of local parks has a 6 mile loop around a lake we like to take, rails-to-trails, mall walking, etc. I listen to music at a low volume so I can carry a conversation and yes I say hello or head nod to other walkers.

I have a half marathon coming up at the end of April that I am walking, so I need to be out there as much as possible.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    What do you think about?

How long are your walks?

What time do you like to walk?

Where do you walk?

Do you listen to music/audiobooks?

Do you say hello to other walkers? Or are you too caught up in your own world to notice anyone else?

Let us discuss the virtues of walking.

I've been doing a lot of walking lately. Some walks are strictly for exercise, some are walking our two little dogs (Yorkies) and others are just leisurely strolls downtown, so the answers to the above will vary depending on the kind of walk.

How long? My exercise walks are about 45-55 minutes right now after lunch at work on the days I don't go to the gym. Dog walks are usually around 20-25 minutes of walking and the same amount of time letting them sniff around, interact with other dogs, etc. The walks downtown take about 15 minutes (downhill) and about 30 minutes home (steep uphill).

Time? That varies. Exercise walks are usually anywhere from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. Dog walk times vary. Walking downtown is in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays.

Where? My walks at work are a circuitous route around the outside of the base for about half of it (around the outside of base housing), then through some of the work area and back to my office. Dog walks will vary. We have a trail near the house that goes through the edge of a forest, but that has a lot of stickers that get into the dogs hair, so we usually don't take that route when the underbrush is heavy...I have been driving out to some of the wide-open fields with paved walking and bicycle trails criss-crossing.

Music? Yes, I listen to music when I am walking on base. Not while walking the dogs or going downtown.

Talking to others? Yes, I always say hi to others when we pass. We met one of our favorite and now closest couples on a dog walk, and we would not have if we had not talked. Of course the fact that our dogs and their dogs were being social made it very easy!

I love walking. In Colorado I would hike both in the mountains and along the front range as well as climb mountains. When living in San Diego, I would walk the beaches or around Mission Bay park. My absolute favorite walk was from the jetty at Mission Bay north along Mission Beach and Pacific Beach to Crystal Pier, and back. Usually with a stop for coffee, or an adult beverage in the afternoon, on Pacific Beach for people-watching. I think it was about a 4.5 mile walk round trip. I would always walk along the water's edge, on the hard sand. God I miss that!
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs, a Bassett Hound and an Australian Cattle dog that walk with me every morning and night. My dogs need to walk rain, snow, or heat so I'm always out there, although I enjoy it so much more when it's not cold. Recently we had an unseasonably warm day and it was wonderful. The sun was out, it was early morning, the air smelled like spring, and the seagulls were circling and calling. I was thinking of how fortunate I am to live in such a pretty area. This morning the temp is 0 and it's windy and icy, I'm not so excited anout the morning walk.
    I do say hi to neighbors and other walkers. Lots of people want to talk anout my fogs or pet them.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oops I meant dogs. Also I never listen to music or anything eith earbuds when I'm out walking in my neighborhood. I like to be aware of what's going on around me.