How long did it take for you to notice a difference in your size/shape/weight through strength train

Options
shadows2424
shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
Ive heard of success stories of people who used strength training to shape up. If i were to go that route how long should it take before i see major results? Im 5'2 female 169 pounds aiming to get to 120 within the year.

Replies

• shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Excuse me through strength training?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    The best part about seeing success with weight training is that you don't have to use a scale to measure results (unless you want to). I find success on the barbell though. I may only lose 2 pounds in a month, but my body has made visible changes.

Similarly, I may gain 3 pounds in a month but add 10-15lbs on my bench press 1-rep max!

You'll be glad you're lifting weights. Find you some good reading material (such as New Rules of Lifting for Women).

Might also be a good idea to head over to Success Stories and find some threads with women who lift!
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, maybe, but I've been strength training (barbells and kettlebells mostly) since last August. Lost some weight, but not much change. Lifted heavier. In the past 3 month, I've only lost 6 lbs, but I've lost two or three clothing sizes. It's like my body reached a critical mass and shifted to muscle building. I think the key is to be consistent with the lifting, and raise the amount you lift gradually.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've only been strength training for a little more than a month and I'm surprised by the difference already. And not just the shin-bruises and calluses on my palms. I actually feel stronger (can lift more weight) and see definition in my thighs and triceps. It's not noticeable to others yet, but it's noticeable enough to me to motivate me to keep going.
  • aimzuk
    aimzuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a good diet and consistent training. Took me about 4 or 5 weeks to start seeing physical differences. You notice you can life more and will push yourself more a lot sooner than that. Unless your changes are drastic it may take others a few weeks lon ger. Take lots of progress pics. Sometimes you feel you've made no progress then you compare weekly photos or monthly and it pushes you

Good luck and most of all enjoy your workouts x
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    6 months to really notice.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My trainer says to give any lifting program at least 12 weeks.
  • Evilla25
    Evilla25 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for a month now seen incredible results in my physique and strength. Lost 10lbs already and I'm seeing muscle mass on my legs especially. You got to love them squats!!!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Took a month for my hubby to notice a change and he sees me everyday so wouldn't notice change as quick as others!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Evilla25 wrote: »
    I've been strength training for a month now seen incredible results in my physique and strength. Lost 10lbs already and I'm seeing muscle mass on my legs especially. You got to love them squats!!!

You lost some fat and hopefully minimal muscle but squats had virtually nothing to do with it. Eating in a deficit, you won't gain muscle. One month of squatting will not show you physical results. One month of dieting and losing fat while retaining muscle will show you results.

To answer the OP question strength training you won't add muscle as much as if you were hypertrophy training. Though you will get results, just not nearly as quick to notice. They are two different animals.
    I've lifted for over 30 years, only the past three have been strength training exclusively in which I intentionally lost a lot of muscle for health reasons.
    Adding muscle takes a long time, only a few months ago did I notice how big and developed I am although others have been telling me for longer.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks or so. Going pretty much everyday. Cardio and weight machines. Seeing more results in the stomach and butt. Arms are looking less flabby but not amazing results there right now.
  • Evilla25
    Evilla25 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
  • seanm55
    seanm55 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Will take up to a year to see drastic changes, but you will see small changes month to month
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for about a month now 5 days a week. My thighs feel more firm and my triceps are also more defined. Nothing super defined, yet. It takes a long time to see definition though, especially if you are overweight like I am. That fat needs to melt away before you can really start to see definition. Keep it up though!
  • RJ0274
    RJ0274 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    I noticed differences within a month of eating healthier and exercising more regularly. Much more noticeable changes occurred over the course of several months of adding more weight and reps to my workout.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 5-6 months before I truly started seeing changes in myself. I've taken it slow though.
  • RJ0274
    RJ0274 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 5-6 months before I truly started seeing changes in myself. I've taken it slow though.

Water cuts through rock not by power, but by persistence. Great job!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Water cuts through rock not by power, but by persistence.

Damn I like that!!!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Because of strength training nobody believes that I'm the weight that I am. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but if I never lose another lbs but keep getting stronger and leaner, I'm good with that. I feel sexy when I notice my own muscles. lol
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    After about 90 days of lifting and eating right is when I noticed changes.