Gained 10 lbs in 4 days?!?! So frustrated I just wanna cry/give up

Options
I had a 3-day conference from Sunday to Tuesday and was staying at a hotel downtown for 2 nights. The day before I left home I ate around 2500 calories (my budget is 1200) and promised myself I would stay on track over the course of the 3 days. I packed some instant oatmeal for the mornings, planned my meals and budgeted my calories. But of course I didn't stick to the plan. I didn't keep track, but I probably ate anywhere from 5000-6500 per day, what with the Starbucks and Tim hortons, hero burger, fast food sandwiches, coffee, hotel brownies, chips, etc. Today I stepped on the scale, obviously expecting some damage (i.e. water weight and max 2 lbs of fat) and ended up seeing 132.2 lbs on the scale!!!! That's where I was exactly a month ago!!! At this point, I should be at 125-122 lbs, and I feel like I just erased ONE WHOLE MONTH of hard work. I just wanna cry. Is it possible it's 8 lbs of water weight? I am expecting my period (sorry boys) sometime this week but I find it very hard to believe I retained 8 lbs worth of water. I'm honestly so discouraged :(

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You could totally retain 8lbs of water, far more easily than you could have consumed 28000 calories over maintenance for it to be fat. Sodium bomb + TOM and it's completely possible. Don't stress, drink heaps of water.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Very possible to gain that much water weight. Forget about today and start fresh tomorrow. Don't let this set you back. You can do this!!
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Last week I had a rough week and went off track for 4 days. I gained 7.6 lbs. I got back on track and after 4 days of being back on plan I have lost most of it.

I know its so disheartening, forgive yourself, get back on plan and you'll lose it.

*hugs* You can do this!!
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Its water weight from all the sodium in the fast foods!!!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR, I would say around 1400 not including any walking exercise you got those days. 5000/6500-1400=3,600/5,100 excess calories per day, x3= 10,800-15,300+excess of 1000 calories before you left divide by 3500 calories (lb worth of weight)=3.37lbs-4.65lbs is the max amount of weight you could have gained (although you calorie assumption seems extremely high so I imagine it can even be less than that-plus that doesn't include any exercise you got from walking and moving around, this is based on a very basic metabolic rate). Find out your BMR by using online calculator to get exact amount gained.

The foods you ate are packed with ridiculous amount of sodium which makes your retain water like crazy, before you get your period you also retain extra water. Drinks tons of water the next several days, although seems like it would make you retain more it actually helps release retained water. After that get a good cardio workout with some serious sweat and you should be able to see what your real weight is like after (best to do workout in the morning like on a weekend, that is when you will be at your lowest and truest weight, the longer I sleep in the less I weigh and after a workout I lose 2-3lbs of water).

Because I am on birth control, my body is tricked into thinking it's pregnant so sometimes I retain as much 12lbs of water, meaning one morning I can weight 12lbs less or more. Several of my coworkers retain 10lbs each, I was surprised to find that out because I thought I was the only one who retained that much water and they are both fit (thin) girls.

Get back on track and drink tons of water!!! It's mathematically impossible for you to have gained entire 10lbs based on your calorie consumption estimate. Breath in, breath out, step off the scale, after 4-5 days of straight up drinking water and some exercise re-check your weight! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Water weight can easily be 8 pounds, even more. You may have put on 2-3 pounds of fat, the rest in water. It will still take a while to get off, but drink lots of water, and get back to your calorie goal and it will come off in a week or so, maybe less.
  • Rnz123
    Rnz123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone!!! I honestly breathed a sigh of relief after reading these replies! Man, I love the MFP community :) I'll try and get back on track and give you guys an update in a week or so, hopefully I'm back to 125/122
  • Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just start over again you can do it