Diet vs lifestyle

Options
Mersie1
Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
How does one shift their thinking from "I'm on a diet" to this is a lifestyle change?

Replies

• 19Remco80
    19Remco80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes it is. I don't see it as a diet. You have to maintain a healthy and good eatingschedule for live. It's a way of live. otherwise it won't be helpfull.
  • magarko
    magarko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You keep going until one day, when you crave something sweet you reach for the fruit instead of the chocolate.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Makes sense!! Thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I liken it to when I gave up smoking. For a long time, I was a smoker who had quit. Eventually, I became a non-smoker. It took time, and perseverance and the strength to dust myself off and get back on track after a slip, rather than 'giving up' and going back to old habits.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I knew the moment I decided to lose weight that my life was going to change. Food choices happen every day and feed into (pun intended) so many of our emotional needs. I think that's one reason it's so hard. But definitely if you want to be healthier and then maintain it, you will need to develop different habits and change your lifestyle. A diet ends and then your bound to slip back into your old ways again... It's human nature as we are creatures of habit.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well the difference for me is that diets deprive u of what u crave causing a crash. making healthier eating choices including a small portion of what u crave is a lifestyle change i like the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time eat healthy and 20% have that cookie or fancy coffee in moderation. now weight loss is not as fast this way but in the long run ita more doable. if u know your gonna have dinner out then work out that day.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself: "I don't (_________) anymore." I stopped drinking soda and would tell people, "no thanks, I don't drink soda." Eventually, I just became the person that didn't drink soda. Or tell yourself: "I have to go to the gym, b/c that's what I do." Eventually, you just become that person.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the suggestion. I have been dealing w a hip injury since oct. I USED to be the person who worked out consistently. Struggling to deal w my injury and my new way of having to live. Very hard. Been taking my stress out on my eating. I'm going to try to use your technique as I try to help myself. Thanks!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For me it is just repetition that becomes habit. We're all naturally creatures of habit and if we stick to a routine for a couple of weeks it becomes just part of the pattern of our daily choices. I also have to incorporate real world activities that require fitness and give me something competitive to work at. I suck at losing weight for the sake of losing weight, but if I incorporate the mindset of "I'm training in martial arts, or I want to build my way up to competing in triathlons", then the exercise and eating habits I've developed turn into something that is required for those goals and are not just something I arbitrarily decided to do to make my overall mass a smaller number.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    * Having good metrics.
    * Figuring out what's optimum via those metrics.

Then you just pay attention to your stats and adjust as needed. It can be very simple, and the fewer emotions or subjectivity in the way, the better.
  • Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My diet has become a life style within the month of starting. Simply because I don't deprive myself from foods I like, rather, I eat in portions now. I also found out that there was nothing wrong with the way I used to eat, but more so what I ate.
    I also have not had a binge yet.

For example:
    I eat a piece of chocolate here and there. Preferably dark chocolate, since I prefer that over milk chocolate. And since I know how to cook pretty good, I make sushi on my "cheat days" since its my favorite food ever.

My advice is not to deprive yourself from foods you like, but go with the healthier alternative rather than the same grind every time.
    For instance, I don't typically fry my foods. I boil my meats before I bake them, and I weigh and measure everything. Cooking actually has become funner since I started this.
  • Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a "food is fuel" mentality now.

I cut out all caloric calories. I don't drink soda, or any highly sugared drinks. I drink water, or tea now.
    And I don't eat fast food at all anymore, or chips, candy, etc etc. Not because I'm in a diet, but because I don't wish to spend money on fast food, nor do I crave junk food. :)
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I didn't. I considered my diet part of my lifestyle. That said, I also think of food as fuel, and try to find the most nutritious, delicious fuel I can. I'm in maintenance now (for 14 years), but if the scale sneaks upward, as it often does with menopause, then I DIET again to get it back to maintenance range. My lifestyle doesn't change, other than being extra mindful about my diet.

I knew that for me to make this work I had to OVERHAUL my eating style. I was already active. What I ate was the problem. So I made a complete overhaul. I learned to cook. I learned about nutrition. I read and read and read. And I overhauled my diet.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think the difference between having a dieting mentality and making a lifestyle change may vary from person to person, so my thoughts are based on my own experiences.

For me, a dieting mentality is when I focus on the details of dieting. It oftentimes involves me being very focused on numbers and data - how many calories I am eating/burning, how much weight I can expect to lose in a given amount of time, how long until I reach my goal weight, etc. It is having "good days" and "bad days". It is feeling elated when the number on the scale matches or exceeds my expectations and being worried or even devastated when it does not. For me, a dieting mentality is kind of a can't see the forest for the trees type of thinking.

A lifestyle change is me letting go of that hyperfocus on numbers (but by no means ignoring them altogether). It is looking at the big picture. It is acknowledging when my way of thinking doesn't match reality, such as seeing the many shades of gray in situations rather than black and white thinking. It is trusting and enjoying the process rather than looking at the process as simply a means to get to an end as quickly as possible. It is making choices because they are healthy ones that I enjoy rather than because they will result in the best possible weight loss. It is being able to clearly see my stumbling blocks and find solutions that help me navigate around them effortlessly. I can still see the trees, but I recognize that they are pieces that fit together to make a breathtakingly beautiful forest.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    That's a brilliant description of the diff. I really will remember that as I try like crazy to adopt the lifestyle change and drop the diet mentality. I have lived w a diet mentality sadly my whole adult life. I'm over it! Thanks so much for the reply!
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To get my lifestyle mentality I focused on what I wanted to add into my life as opposed to things I wanted to cut out. For example I had the hardest time with vegetables - but I made it a goal that I wanted to have at least a serving of vegetables at every meal and a serving of fruit. It's taken a bit of practice, and much trial and error with different veggies and different cooking methods (I've finally settled on a brussel sprout/kale salad for lunches with lean protein that I love). I easily eat 3-5 servings of veggies a day and fruit as snacks now, which has helped me lose 30 pounds because I'm getting full on veggies instead of chips. After doing that for a few months I find that I crave veggies and fruit. Even on my lazy Sunday mornings my boyfriend will have his fried eggs, bacon, and hasbrowns but I'll still have my poached egg, arugula, roasted red pepper, and a little piece of bacon. Like other commenters have said after a few weeks/months of NOT having so much junk food you actually start to crave natural healthy foods.
  • valleygrrrl50
    valleygrrrl50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well for me it was a rude awakening that my numbers went from pre diabetic to diabetic. I am ok with knowing I will never have a model body...but my focus now is on my numbers....small steps have started to make a difference for me -- looking forward to what my numbers show in 4 months...so knowing that everything I put in my mouth turns into Sugar -- its finding that balance of good nutritious food and knowing that along the way with a little exercise I will also lose some pounds.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    IMO a diet is something that you do temporarily. It ends once you hit your goal weight. Do you think that once you lose weight you will continue to eat your "diet food"? Diets don't work long term for long term weight loss. That's why people on here talk about finding balance, not giving up a whole food group like sugar or wheat. You are creating an eating pattern that has to work for the rest of your life. If not, you are just on a diet and your loss will likely be as temporary as the diet was.
  • Mersie1
    Options
    Makes sense. Thanks for reply