why am I not losing weight?

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet and work out just about every day but the weight will not shift. Has anyone any ideas on why this is?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on?
    When did you change your exercise plan?
    Are you seeing absolutely no weight change?
    How are you weighing food or eyeballing the amount?
  • twizzle1954
    twizzle1954 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been at the gym now for a month. I do a 50+ dance class twice a week, body pump twice a week, an aqua class and pilates. I weigh everything and also calculate in any milk I use for tea etc. I don't eat any sugary foods, sweets, chocolate, cakes etc. I have just been for a blood test to rule out thyroid problems. I also have given up any alcohol.....I really am at a loss!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A puzzle! Well, it will come off.

Are you seeing no weight change at all?
    Could you open up your diary so we can review it?
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    I have seen no weight gain. I have actually put on a pound! How do I open up my diary?
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    I think I have managed to change my settings so that you can view my diary!
  • Ladylusiphur
    Ladylusiphur Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 cals recommended by the app or your doctor? It seems quite low considering the amount of activity you're doing, so it might be that your body is trying to conserve energy.

Sometimes it depends on the kinds of things you're eating, but looking at your diary you're eating good fresh food with plenty of veg so I don't see too much of an issue with that. Some people will probably say things like you're eating too much fruit like bananas, but I've never had an issue and eat tons of it.

Have you also tried measuring yourself? Sometimes we don't see success on the scales but can lose inches as our water/muscle/fat ratios change.
  • mrschikin
    mrschikin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet and work out just about every day but the weight will not shift. Has anyone any ideas on why this is?

Well, you've only been logging for about 4 days according to what I can see. Your diary shows between 1400 and 1800 calories per day. You might try eating back only 50% of the calories you burn from exercise, increasing your water intake, and then giving it some time!

Some people take longer than others to register a loss, especially when first beginning. 4 days is really not enough time to see whether something is working for you.
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    When I saw my doctor she said I might have to reduce my calorie intake to 1000 calories so have adjusted that. It does seem really low though for the amount of excersise I do. Waiting now for results of my blood tests.
    I would like to thank you so much for taking the trouble to give me advice. I will keep you posted on my progress.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Four days of logging is a little short, give yourself time (and credit) you are doing the right thing. Also I noticed that your allowance was about 1400 but it is at 1000 for today (plus exercise). Are you cycling through the week or doing this for a specific reason? 1400 seems fine, 1000 - especially for someone active, seems like an invitation to have issues quickly.
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    My doctor advised me to reduce ti 1000 calories for a while. I agree that it does seem very low for the excersise regime I'm on.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    When I saw my doctor she said I might have to reduce my calorie intake to 1000 calories so have adjusted that. It does seem really low though for the amount of excersise I do. Waiting now for results of my blood tests.
    I would like to thank you so much for taking the trouble to give me advice. I will keep you posted on my progress.

I'm going to suggest you stick to your prior goal and give yourself at least 2-3 weeks of solid logging before making further changes. 1000 cals is miserable for someone active.
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    I will take your advice and adjust accordingly...thank you! :)
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I will take your advice and adjust accordingly...thank you! :)

Hang in there! It can take a little while to register like everyone says. I also agree that 1000 cals is miserably low and doesn't give you enough opportunity to get the nutrients your body needs to function.

I'd also recommend measuring yourself with a tape measure rather than relying on the scales - if you're active you will hopefully be changing fat into muscle and will lose size without necessarily losing weight.

xx
  • twizzle1954
    Options
    Thank you for your comment and recommendations. I have adjusted my calorie intake and will take your advice and start utilising the measuring tape :)
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Go on a calorie calculator
    Healthyeater.com is good

Don't eat exercise calories unless at goal it's way to easy to overestimate loads

Input all your foods on here using scanner or calorie guide for the first month so you've your own reliable data base the exercise and food calories a lot are wrong on here.

Water 8 glasses a day

Protein & not to much junk food will fill you up

1200 is way to low for most it's a universal setting on here it can easily be changed

You find your calories using a calculator is your first step be honest with how active you are

I try not going over my calories by 100 to make sure I've enough banked incase if weighing measuring errors

ALWAYS WEIGH MEASURE EVERYTHING THAT YOU EAT AND DRINK

TAPE MEASURE