Gym plan - how do you come up with one?

Options
I've just rejoined a gym, haven't been since uni last year and just been doing other non-gym stuff in the mean time. Decided to join because it means I can park there when I go to work saving me £15 a week, figure I might as well get the most out of the gym too. Anyway, I've never really had much of a plan when it's come to the gym, just gone and done whatever I've felt like at the time. Have been thinking though and reckon I need a plan to really get the most out of it. I don't have any real goals as such, it's just general fitness etc. and helping my weight loss.

So, just wondering, if you go to the gym, what's your work out plan and how did you put it together? I could have a PT session, would you recommend them?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer group classes? If so, I would definitely recommend trying those out first. It's good to work under some sort of formal instruction before trying it out yourself. Then you can branch out and try the different machines and equipment and see what you like and what you dont.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My gym gave me a free session with a trainer when I joined (but I also bought a package of 4 one-hour sessions, as well), and she helped me come up with some things to incorporate into my gym sessions.

I generally start off with some cardio - elliptical, a jog/walk on the treadmill, or Zumba (on Tuesdays)
    Then I'll hit the weight floor and do some of the machines or the smaller handweights. Other times I will do circuit training, consisting of the things I have done with my trainer in the past.
    I like to end with at least 2 sets of 10 pushups (sometimes more, but I like to add in a "pause" in the middle of each set), and some planks, 30 seconds or more, if I can hold it.
    I've recently started doing some yoga at home as well, to give myself some extra flexibility and to stretch out my new muscles, lol.

I would definitely say take advantage of a training session if you can swing it; you can ask him/her specifically to help you come up with a plan, and also ways to alter it once you start to get "settled" in it. The trainers at the gym are a great resource!!
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    PTs are expensive but worth it and most gyms will work something out with you. My gym offers an initial session free and I signed up for at least twice a month and he will help me come up with a plan. I've always just kinda gone, done cardio for thirty minutes to an hour and if its not too crowded got on the machines. So with a trainer some of the time, I will learn and gain the confidence I need to workout to my fullest benefit. My first plan is just go. Some exercise in my mind is better than none. I don't know if this helps since I'm still in the process of creating my own plan. Good luck!
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    the biggest perk i get out of my gym membership is the classes. i like a group setting and love the music and "routine" feel to them. it is organized and effective. i like to mix it up based on my purpose. there are cardio classes like zumba and body attack to burn calories, tone, and build endurance. there are also bodypump classes or body attack to help build muscle and strengthen your core. i have also developed a new love of spin class, which is a mad way to burn some calories and get the heart pumping. i do b/w 3-5 classes a week with a balnce between these. if you prefer individual efforts, i suggest a personal trainer to show you the proper machines to use to focus your energy and they can guide you as to how many reps to do to help you achieve your goals. good luck!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Most gyms now a days have a PT session to get you oriented with the equipment. Some gyms call this 'orientation' others market it as '2 free sessions with PTs.'

If this is included - use it and ask TONS of questions.

If not, see if you can set up an orientation appointment. PTs will create a workout for you - including how many reps & what weight is good for your body. Seeing a PT every other month or once a month while you lose weight to change up your routine is great - if you can afford it. You DON'T need to see a PT every week unless you need the motivation or have serious physical limitations.

Remember that warm-up, stretching & cool-down are key. DO NOT skimp on these.

My basic gym routine:

5-10 min stretch!
    15-20 min cardio warm up (bike, elliptical, treadmill, etc) -- get heart rate into zone 3 or 4
    20-40 min strength training (either upper or lower body- I rotate days! AND abs - I need these daily...)
    10 min cool down (same as warm up - but often I like to walk down the stairs, into locker room, slide into suit and walk in the pool for 10-15 before sauna & shower...)

My gym time is min of an hour and more often 1.5 hrs just workout.

Builds muscle & helps lose weight when properly done.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I definitely suggest meeting with a trainer. S/he can give you tips about which cardio options might be best for you personally (you should ask about the classes offered as well as the various machines), but I think trainers are especially helpful for putting together a comprehensive weight training routine. Good luck and have fun!
    -LP
  • Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    Does your gym offer fitness classes? I can't live without mine now and they'e included in the cost of the membership. I find they're great because you get much more variation and some really good cardio. Also I will alwasy try to get there up to an hour early and jog, row, use the steppers etc just to burnmore calories. That way, if the class isn't so cardio-based I still get a great workout.

I'd try Legs Bums and Tums, Body Pump (if offered) or een something like Zumba which can be a real laugh. Having an 'appointment' for a class really keeps my commitment high and makes me make that extra effort to go along even if I'm not really up for it. Once there, I never regret showing up.

PTs are good but I don't use one regularly- just once every few months for a general check and advice on specific problem areas etc. Good luck!
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to doing a light cardio warm up then some weights/resistance machines followed by a more intense bit of cardio and a cool down & stretch. It took me a while to figure out a routine that I was happy with, but it's down to you and testing out what works for you.
    Every now and then I change something & mix it up a little just so that I don't get bored of what I do.
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer group classes? If so, I would definitely recommend trying those out first. It's good to work under some sort of formal instruction before trying it out yourself. Then you can branch out and try the different machines and equipment and see what you like and what you dont.

They do but the majority start around 7 and I finish work at 5, don't want to hang around for 2 hours to do it! There's a step or aerotone class once a week at 6 which I'm probably going to do, but otherwise want a gym routine for the rest of the time. I've been to the gym quick a lot so I now how to use things and what I like, which is most of it really apart from free weights, I just don't know how to put it into a decent workout plan.
    My gym gave me a free session with a trainer when I joined (but I also bought a package of 4 one-hour sessions, as well), and she helped me come up with some things to incorporate into my gym sessions.

I generally start off with some cardio - elliptical, a jog/walk on the treadmill, or Zumba (on Tuesdays)
    Then I'll hit the weight floor and do some of the machines or the smaller handweights. Other times I will do circuit training, consisting of the things I have done with my trainer in the past.
    I like to end with at least 2 sets of 10 pushups (sometimes more, but I like to add in a "pause" in the middle of each set), and some planks, 30 seconds or more, if I can hold it.
    I've recently started doing some yoga at home as well, to give myself some extra flexibility and to stretch out my new muscles, lol.

I would definitely say take advantage of a training session if you can swing it; you can ask him/her specifically to help you come up with a plan, and also ways to alter it once you start to get "settled" in it. The trainers at the gym are a great resource!!

I get one 30 minute for free which I think I'll bite the bullet and take and just stop telling myself they'll think I'm too fat that I'm beyond help! I hadn't really thought about asking them to help me come up with a plan, good idea thanks.
    PTs are expensive but worth it and most gyms will work something out with you. My gym offers an initial session free and I signed up for at least twice a month and he will help me come up with a plan. I've always just kinda gone, done cardio for thirty minutes to an hour and if its not too crowded got on the machines. So with a trainer some of the time, I will learn and gain the confidence I need to workout to my fullest benefit. My first plan is just go. Some exercise in my mind is better than none. I don't know if this helps since I'm still in the process of creating my own plan. Good luck!

Yeah I agree, some is definitely better than none. I just know I spend too much time going hmm what should I do next rather than getting on with and doing it! Could probably make my 45 minute sessions 30 minutes by cutting out my indecisiveness!!
    the biggest perk i get out of my gym membership is the classes. i like a group setting and love the music and "routine" feel to them. it is organized and effective. i like to mix it up based on my purpose. there are cardio classes like zumba and body attack to burn calories, tone, and build endurance. there are also bodypump classes or body attack to help build muscle and strengthen your core. i have also developed a new love of spin class, which is a mad way to burn some calories and get the heart pumping. i do b/w 3-5 classes a week with a balnce between these. if you prefer individual efforts, i suggest a personal trainer to show you the proper machines to use to focus your energy and they can guide you as to how many reps to do to help you achieve your goals. good luck!

See I'm not such a group class fan. I feel WAY too self conscious and I worry about not being able to keep up with people who will probably be half my weight! Well, not half but a lot lighter. I've heard a lot about Zumba but I always think I'd look like an unco-ordinated fat lumpy fool!!
    Most gyms now a days have a PT session to get you oriented with the equipment. Some gyms call this 'orientation' others market it as '2 free sessions with PTs.'

If this is included - use it and ask TONS of questions.

If not, see if you can set up an orientation appointment. PTs will create a workout for you - including how many reps & what weight is good for your body. Seeing a PT every other month or once a month while you lose weight to change up your routine is great - if you can afford it. You DON'T need to see a PT every week unless you need the motivation or have serious physical limitations.

Remember that warm-up, stretching & cool-down are key. DO NOT skimp on these.

My basic gym routine:

5-10 min stretch!
    15-20 min cardio warm up (bike, elliptical, treadmill, etc) -- get heart rate into zone 3 or 4
    20-40 min strength training (either upper or lower body- I rotate days! AND abs - I need these daily...)
    10 min cool down (same as warm up - but often I like to walk down the stairs, into locker room, slide into suit and walk in the pool for 10-15 before sauna & shower...)

My gym time is min of an hour and more often 1.5 hrs just workout.

Builds muscle & helps lose weight when properly done.

Don't worry I always warm up and cool down properly! I think my cool down may be some stretches and then a dip in the pool seeing as they have one! So you do about 1 part cardio to 2 parts strength, sounds a good plan. Do you have set reps etc or just whatever that day as long as it focuses on your area?
    I definitely suggest meeting with a trainer. S/he can give you tips about which cardio options might be best for you personally (you should ask about the classes offered as well as the various machines), but I think trainers are especially helpful for putting together a comprehensive weight training routine. Good luck and have fun!
    -LP

Thanks :) I'm going to arrange a trainer appointment when I go in tomorrow.
    Does your gym offer fitness classes? I can't live without mine now and they'e included in the cost of the membership. I find they're great because you get much more variation and some really good cardio. Also I will alwasy try to get there up to an hour early and jog, row, use the steppers etc just to burnmore calories. That way, if the class isn't so cardio-based I still get a great workout.

I'd try Legs Bums and Tums, Body Pump (if offered) or een something like Zumba which can be a real laugh. Having an 'appointment' for a class really keeps my commitment high and makes me make that extra effort to go along even if I'm not really up for it. Once there, I never regret showing up.

PTs are good but I don't use one regularly- just once every few months for a general check and advice on specific problem areas etc. Good luck!

They do Bums and Tums, what does that actually involve? I have no idea! They do Zumba too but I'm just not sure about that one!
    I tend to stick to doing a light cardio warm up then some weights/resistance machines followed by a more intense bit of cardio and a cool down & stretch. It took me a while to figure out a routine that I was happy with, but it's down to you and testing out what works for you.
    Every now and then I change something & mix it up a little just so that I don't get bored of what I do.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm definitely the kind that needs to mix it up every so often to keep me interested too
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dont be scared to check it out...i think you would be surprised to find out how many people in class fell just like you do. we all need to be lighter on ourselves. i actually do a zumba gold, which is for older people and beginners, and they can outmove me! but i love to see the ladies having fun. the gym that you go to can have a big effect on your esteem. mine is sponsored by a hospital. so while there are alot of rehab and older people, there are fitness folks and employees. i like the diversity...it isnt like walking into a gym where 3/4 of the people look like they could own the place...this may help you find a comfortable place to go, if there are options for you. best of luck!