Not losing weight despite exercise

Options
I know there's a lot of factors but despite being overweight and exercising 5 times a week and following slimming world I'm not losing weight.

I am going to the gym 3 times a weeks for 45 minutes doing cardio, followed by a 30 minute swim of continuous lengths. Also doing clubbercise once a week and a hula hoop class once a week.

I feel slimmer and healthier but it's wearing thin now that the scales aren't moving.

On some random days I have counted calories alongside my slimming world plan just to see and it is around 950 to 1100 gross then 450 - 700 net. Not sure whether I need to be addressing the exercise or food. A typical day for me is -

28th porridge oats

Banana, Apple and satsuma

2 ryvita with vegetable soup

Chicken veggies and bulgur wheat

Fat free yogurt

I've always had success with slimming world before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    seems like you could be eating more than your realizing - are you hungry on this?
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    seems like you could be eating more than your realizing - are you hungry on this?

Yeah on times. Mainly mid afternoon.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    How long have you not been losing? You're not going to lose the same amount all the time.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on slimming world, despite exercising 5 times a week and running a 10k. The diet they follow just didn't agree with my body. Now I eat 1400 cals on average, high protein and watch my carb and sodium intake. Steadily losing 2lb a week (4.9lb last week cos Ive just introduced a new cycle routine!)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    At between 450-700 calories net / day you should have lost about 1/2 a pound per day. (Btw totally NOT recommended).

You are probably eating more than you think, and burning less than you think.

What do the slimming world people say?
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    inaccuracies in you food intake and your burn estimates are likely the case. Good luck getting everything heading in the right direction
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I am going to the gym 3 times a weeks for 45 minutes doing cardio, followed by a 30 minute swim of continuous lengths. Also doing clubbercise once a week and a hula hoop class once a week.

I've always had success with slimming world before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All your answers are HERE - and they are brutally honest answers.
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    At between 450-700 calories net / day you should have lost about 1/2 a pound per day. (Btw totally NOT recommended).

You are probably eating more than you think, and burning less than you think.

What do the slimming world people say?

I don't know how I can be eating more than I think because everything is measured and weighed etc. It's all counted. The calories burnt via exercise may be off because I haven't got a heart rate monitor so they won't be exact. I've lost inches but no significant weightloss.
    I don't know. I'll plough on.

They give you some crap about muscle weighing more than fat and that crap. They are forgetting I'm not an athlete so that's a load of b****kitten*. Does ones metabolism change after having children?

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Toddlers require more than 500 calories. Adults do not maintain weight at such a low net intake. That indicates an error in your math.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Exercising 5 times a week and following slimming world doesnt equal weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Exercising 5 times a week and following slimming world doesnt equal weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss

We'll if that's the case I'll stick to calorie counting for a while then with the exercise and see how I get on. If it's purely as simple as I'm crap at maths and slimming world is wrong.

Thankyou for the kind encouragement.
  • cbnewman
    cbnewman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight then you are eating too many calories. Drop your caloric intake by 100 cal a day and re-assess after two weeks. Also, you are doing a lot of cardio. Substitute some resistance training 2-3 times a week instead of all that cardio to boost your metabolism.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cbnewman wrote: »
    If you are not losing weight then you are eating too many calories. Drop your caloric intake by 100 cal a day and re-assess after two weeks. Also, you are doing a lot of cardio. Substitute some resistance training 2-3 times a week instead of all that cardio to boost your metabolism.

Without knowing what they are truly taking in it is reckless to advise cutting by some arbitrary amount. Since EPOC and the difference in caloric burn created by adding a pound of muscle are quite often overstated, the "boost your metabolism" claim doesn't hold up well.
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out your BMR and TDEE? ...."and I am going to the gym 3 times a weeks for 45 minutes doing cardio, followed by a 30 minute swim of continuous lengths. " This tells me you are an athlete to some degree.

It's taboo to mention it around here where it's always calories calories in vs out, but maybe you're not eating enough.

• emistevenson
    emistevenson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As others asked, how long have you not been losing? I have been steadily losing about a pound a week for the last 3 or 4 months - but if you would look at my once or twice weekly weigh-ins there were a lot of times it went up a pound or two, or times when it plateaued, but it all evened out in the end. Shoot, I weigh about 5 lbs more in the evening than I do in the morning. If a month goes by without any scale change I'd be concerned. Less than that, it may well just be a measurement issue and not a reality based issue.

If you're losing inches, there are only one of two things going on:
    1) You are losing fat. This would cause slight weight loss, unless offset by muscle gains.
    2) You are losing lean muscle mass. This would cause weight loss too, because even if it's replaced by fat the fat won't weigh as much to offset the loss.

I agree with the poster above who said to cut back on the cardio and incorporate some strength training. Replace two of your workouts each week with push-ups, squats while holding weights, lunges while holding weights, sit-ups, and planks. For push-ups, do them to failure. For sit-ups, do as many as you can in 60 seconds. For plank, hold for 60 seconds. For squats and lunges, select a weight where doing 15 reps is challenging by the last few reps. Do 3 or 4 exercises in sequence and then repeat the circuit once or twice more. At the end of each circuit try incorporating something like running lunges, squat jumps, step-ups, or anything else that involves moving your whole body with speed or force and a full range of motion. This will keep your heart rate up while you're doing the other exercises and increase the caloric burn you get from it. I typically burn 350 calories in a 40-minute weight-lifting session by incorporating those type of exercises in between the weights.

Every additional pound of muscle burns an additional 50 calories per day. Conversely, every pound of muscle you lose reduces the amount of calories you can eat without gaining weight by 50 calories per day.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    edited February 2016
    Options
    We'll if that's the case I'll stick to calorie counting for a while then with the exercise and see how I get on. If it's purely as simple as I'm crap at maths and slimming world is wrong.

Plug in your information here (weight, age, gender, height, activity level - best to leave it at sedentary so you can see the calculations to maintain your current weight, lose or gain 1 or 2 pounds per week.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Then accurately measure - or as best as you can honestly muster - everything you put into your mouth. Most tend to underestimate what goes in, and overestimate what gets burned during exercise. That leads to the bad math of CICO and results in one not losing weight, or being stalled, etc.

10 Weeks to the day yesterday by targeting about 1 pound of weight loss per week, and using the calculations from that link above, my report chart has resulted in a 12.4 loss for the 10 weeks...

24664125350_097a57a48a_o.jpgDecember2nd-February11
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sure how this slimming world thing works but I'm wondering if they have calculated the calories burned from swimming as a big factor for CICO. Swimming is a great way to get fit and burn calories, but it's overestimated in swimming calculators for the average person. There are way too many variables to make it accurate- technique being the biggest one (efficient vs not efficient swimmer), size of pool (25 m easier than 50m or open water because of frequent push offs), and speed.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    SwimmyD wrote: »
    I'm not completely sure how this slimming world thing works but I'm wondering if they have calculated the calories burned from swimming as a big factor for CICO. Swimming is a great way to get fit and burn calories, but it's overestimated in swimming calculators for the average person. There are way too many variables to make it accurate- technique being the biggest one (efficient vs not efficient swimmer), size of pool (25 m easier than 50m or open water because of frequent push offs), and speed.

For any exercise, to make sure CICO is working one may want to be careful not to eat back all of the calories that one estimates they have burned during exercise. Even if doing the best calculations, leaving a little room for error on both sides of the equation will clean up any inaccuracies.
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    Changed it up this evening did an hour of clubbercise class (high intensity aerobics ) followed by another 20 minutes cardio in the gym. Then spent some time doing weights. Then walked home for twenty minutes.

Intake has been good 1200 mark. Everything that went in was counted precisely. Should be netting at what I need to ensure weightloss surely.