Feeling Thinner But No Change On Scale

Options
So this is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to be thinner/lose weight without actually dropping numbers on the scale? This is a digital scale and I weigh myself on the same surface/same conditions every morning. I realize that if I were gaining muscle/toning up then my weight might not go down, but I haven't had time to go to the gym in over a month! It's just weird because when I wake up in the morning I feel like I look thinner, but the numbers on my scale have been reading the exact same for 4 days. I have been staying completely faithful to my diet as well. I know I should probably try taking my measurements but I figured I'd just see if this was happening to anyone else. Also, could this happen if the scale is low on batteries?

Replies

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You absolutely can see progress in one area before the scale reflects weight loss. Your body fat% could be changing as well as you body measurements. Measuring tape and body fat calipers are your friend.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Happy days in that case

No one says I want to be lighter(maybe boxers and jockeys) they say I want to look better. Weight is a rubbish measurement, well done you
  • Shonquinta
    Shonquinta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. It's discouraging to me, but I've learned to calculate my progress other ways. Energy levels, measurements, how my clothes fit after being washed and dried of course, and photos (just recently added). I weight myself once a week though. Which is even more daunting when I've worked so hard and the numbers stay the same. There are other things to consider as well and that's plateaus which usually happen right after an initial weight loss event.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    First, take measurements (chest, waist, hips at the very least) and then in several weeks you can compare and instead of saying you are feeling slimmer, you can actually say you are or are not.

Second, how long have you been at this?

Third, yes, it is possible to have your measurements go down and not see the scale move or even go up. That is because there are things that can mask the weight loss, primarily water weight. The chance of it being muscle is slim to none if you are in a calorie deficit, especially as a woman.

Fourth, are you carefully measuring what you eat and making sure the entries you are using match up and/or make sense? By carefully measuring I mean using a kitchen scale (preferably digital) for solids, and measuring spoon/cups for liquids.
  • dragonxbaby
    dragonxbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, sorry I wasn't able to respond I've been at work. I'm definitely going to start taking measurements, I think that should help motivate me. Oh and to answer some questions I've been on my diet this time for about a month now, but overall I've been back and forth for almost 4 years lol. And yes I do use exact measurements, I use cups, teaspoon/tablespoons, and a kitchen scale.