Staying Active in an Office

Options
I recently started working part-time in an office environment. I wear a fitness tracker, and I'm so disappointed to see how fewer steps I am taking now. Any tips on how to help with this loss of activity?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have a set workout time you have for yourself.

Make sure you drink plenty of water- more water = more pee= more pee = more trips to the bathroom. which is good.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I put a notification on my calendar every hour (that I'm not in a meeting) and I know that my water bottle NEEDS to be empty when I hit that hour. So then, I walk to go refill it. It's 24 ounces, so 24 ounces every hour means MANY bathroom trips as well...and I always go to the furthest water station/bathroom. I get movement, stay hydrated, and I get to be nosy, as this gives me more opportunity to see what my co-workers are up to ;)
  • suzwriter
    suzwriter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Walk over to see people rather than calling or emailing, walk up stairs rather than using the lift, and park at the farthest corner of the car park (or get off the bus, tram or tube a stop early)
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I get up and walk around the office building once an hour but that's more to keep my back from getting tight. It's not ideal definitely in winter depending on your location but consider spending some of your lunch hour walking around the parking lot.

When the oil industry went belly up I had to transition from a job and lifestyle that kept me naturally active and away from temptation to being sedentary in an office again and it has made things more difficult. I just had to make the mental shift to make my health a priority and take the time to get to the gym.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    15 yr cube farmer, and desk jockey.
    I walk during my breaks, inside if the weather is bad, outside if not.
    I also get up and take a quick walk when I get stressed (Stupid customer/computer/coworker) to calm my brain.
    And little trips to the restroom/break room... I can either take a beeline to it, or take a longer route... I take the longer when I can.
    Park as far from the building as you can, take stairs rather than elevators.
    Sometimes my coworker come gets me to discuss something, and I suggest we talk about it while walking (She complains that she sits too much so me motivating her to move, she likes it).
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I put a notification on my calendar every hour (that I'm not in a meeting) and I know that my water bottle NEEDS to be empty when I hit that hour. So then, I walk to go refill it. It's 24 ounces, so 24 ounces every hour means MANY bathroom trips as well...and I always go to the furthest water station/bathroom. I get movement, stay hydrated, and I get to be nosy, as this gives me more opportunity to see what my co-workers are up to ;)

you drink 192 oz of water a DAY (and that's just in working time)? Your kidneys won't thank you for that. If your pee is pale straw coloured that's good. If your pee is clear, you're overdoing it. Seriously - we can get a fair portion of our liquid needs from food as well as drinks.
  • EatSleepRideRun
    EatSleepRideRun Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to be smart.....all the above lol
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I work for an amazing company! We do noon time workouts. Right now there are 8 of us doing the 21 day fix. Remember to drink lots of water and eat healthy snacks. Going for a walk on your break is always a good way to get moving too.
  • Lycan_
    Lycan_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1. Walk around more. This includes going outside (if its not too cold) for short walks or coffee breaks to places around the corner (if your work is in a walkable area).
    2. Consider getting a standing desk. While its not going to give you instant six pack abs, it does keep you moving and, in my experience, improves productivity.
    3. Stretch often. Nothing's worse than feeling completely coiled up at 5 pm
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There there are stairs in your building walk up and down the stairs at a good pace during lunch or breaks.
  • sehlousek
    sehlousek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Once a day (usually at lunch), I use the App Sworkit to do either a strength routine or a stretching routine. I do 10 minutes. Sworkit works with MyFitnessPal so your calories burned are recorded. Its a good way to get up and move. Personally I LOVE the stretches. Its amazing how tight you can get just sitting all day.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

you drink 192 oz of water a DAY (and that's just in working time)? Your kidneys won't thank you for that. If your pee is pale straw coloured that's good. If your pee is clear, you're overdoing it. Seriously - we can get a fair portion of our liquid needs from food as well as drinks.

I drink about 150-175/day total. I said I put this on my calendar hourly when I don't have meetings. So, it tends to be about 3-4 times a day breaking up those blocks of time where I'm sitting at my cube and not somewhere else. I also have lupus, and take meds that I NEED to drink a LOT of water with. My kidneys are dying because of my lupus. Trust me, they appreciate the water, and my medical team can attest to that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Find a nice person to talk to on the other side of the office....
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Make sure you drink plenty of water- more water = more pee= more pee = more trips to the bathroom. which is good.

Gah. This just triggered a new goal for me. Instead of using the bathroom close to my office, I'm going to walk down the hall to the other one thats about 150m away versus 5ft away lol!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Walk on your lunch break, drink lots of water to force yourself to get up every hour or so and walk to the bathroom. Incorporate a 30-minute work out into your routine before and after work?
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »

Gah. This just triggered a new goal for me. Instead of using the bathroom close to my office, I'm going to walk down the hall to the other one thats about 150m away versus 5ft away lol!

Along this same line...do not refill your water on the same "trip" when you're going to (ahem) empty! Stagger it right, and you will be getting up from your desk twice as much!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have a full-time desk job and I've gone from averaging 3,000 steps a day to 10,000 just by consciously walking around more and utilizing my break times to walk (I used to not take breaks).
    I also have my usual morning workout.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A coworker and myself do a fitness challenge twice a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. We search for exercises that work around our work attire like squats or push ups. This month we started to include a stretch at the beginning and end of the challenge.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Taking the stairs instead of the elevator and heading out for a lunch time walk can help. I walk to work but that may not be possible for everyone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »

sometimes I use the bathroom on the bottom floor just so I walk more- it's 3 flights of stairs LOL