vitamins and supplements

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone takes a supplement/vitamins since starting the weight loss journey. My b12 is low so i take that but wondered if I need other things. the PT mentioned glucosamine since i had a tennis elbow injury last year. I am just getting over back spasms and someone mentioned potassium intake. so I'm wondering what everyone else does to make sure u aren't missing anything. also did your dr recommend it or someone else. thanks

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone takes a supplement/vitamins since starting the weight loss journey. My b12 is low so i take that but wondered if I need other things. the PT mentioned glucosamine since i had a tennis elbow injury last year. I am just getting over back spasms and someone mentioned potassium intake. so I'm wondering what everyone else does to make sure u aren't missing anything. also did your dr recommend it or someone else. thanks

Glucosamine does not have robust evidence to support the claim that it helps with joint issues above simply taking a painkiller like acetaminophen:
    http://examine.com/supplements/Glucosamine/
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and calcium chews. my endocrinologist told me to take omega 3 and vitamin d. plus i am on 4 prescriptions.
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll attest to Glucosamine (With chondroitin). I take it twice a day and I can really tell the difference. Used to have knee joint pain, popping, crackling, stiffness, etc. No more. I do also take various other supplements.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I just take a multi-vitamin, mega red(krill oil), and probiotic.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ElPasoMark wrote: »
    I'll attest to Glucosamine (With chondroitin). I take it twice a day and I can really tell the difference. Used to have knee joint pain, popping, crackling, stiffness, etc. No more. I do also take various other supplements.

what other supplements?
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just take a multi-vitamin, mega red(krill oil), and probiotic.

is the krill oil like omega 3s?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you eat a wide variety of foods, you don't need supplements (except the b12 of course). You could log the food you eat at cronometer.com and see what you're missing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It take a multivitamin. It has the b vitamins included. Also has calcium and vitamin d that can help with joints.
    I add a spice called turmeric to my food. It really helps with my foot pain.
    I eat wild salmon at least once a week.
    Do not take potassium unless close supervision by a doctor. Can be dangerous.
    Eat foods high in potassium instead.
    * I don't eat well every day.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Centrum Silver, Glucosamine Sulfate with MSM and Chondroitin. I eat VERY healthy and probably don't need the vitamins but I know they won't hurt me so why not.
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    ElPasoMark wrote: »

what other supplements?

Hi Lisa (?). You can get both Fish and Krill oil with Omega-3.

Now, as far as supplements, keep in mind there are 2 sides to every coin and what works for me, or what I believe works for me may not be the same for you et al. Some will swear by supplements others will scoff and call them snake oil is what I'm saying. So with that in mind what I take (And why) are:

Multi-vitamin.

Eye vitamin to try and keep the eyes as healthy as possible.

Fish oil twice daily for the heart.

Krill oil once a day for the heart and memory.

Vitamin C to help fight off colds & sickness and for overall health.

Magnesium for bone strength.

Potassium. I work out pretty strenuously 6 days a week- 2 plus hours a day M-W-F (Calisthenics, weights, 2 mile jog), 1 1/2 hours T-TH (Calisthenics & 15 mile bike ride), and routinely ride my bike 40 - 60 miles on Saturday. I sweat a lot (Especially in the Texas summer heat). Even though I stay really hydrated I was getting really bad cramps in my feet after workouts so started taking the potassium which appears to help.

Vitamin D & E (Vitamin E twice daily) I've lost almost 100 pounds and have at least another 20 to go [Maybe 40] and I have some hanging, flabby skin (Which may or may not tighten up/go away with more weight loss) and I'm concerned my skin isn't as elastic as it once was so I'm taking Vitamin's D & E to (Hopefully) help with tightening and elasticity.

Hope that helps. Look for me on Garmin Connect and Map My Ride.

Cheers,

Mark