Fat Free Salty Snacks?

Options
I like snacks. Snacks are awesome. I'm working on my macros right now though (and I'm on maintenance, working on strength training now,) and I would like some idea for snacks with low to no fat, since I tend to fill that pretty quickly during my day. (oops! :D )

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love cucumber slices lightly salted. Cantaloupe salted...apples are good salted. Hmm. I don't try for low fat much so I'm only coming up with produce. :)

It's ok to go over fat as long as you stay in your calories - unless you have a medical reason to limit fats.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Special K chips or baked chips are great if you want chips. Pita chips are high carbs, but fairly low in fat.

As far as zero fat, I don't know of a lot of salty snacks that have no fat at all. Try some simple crackers with fat free yogurt dip or fat free cottage cheese mixed with salsa.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Pickles, saltines
  • Stanley1903
    Options
    Another suggestion if you like either celery or carrots, use those to dip into whatever salsa you like. It's very low calorie and crunchy. They make carrot chips that are near the baby carrots.

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Pretzels.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jerky!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I actually have trouble reaching my maintenance calories, so that's not a problem at all. If I eat too much fat though I do start getting stomach aches. I've found that in a single meal, if it goes over around 20g of fat, I get really sick. I try to spread my fats through the day so I don't get sick, but at the same time it's hard to keep it down because it can add up.

Then at the end of the day I still get a stomach ache. XD

Anyways, jerky is really expensive for me (mostly because I'm a veg, but oh dear lord I do love me some thai peanut soy jerky!!) but I've been thinking of getting some pretzels. They have great crunch. I forgot to mention I'm lactose intolerant too, sorry. I used to LOVE cottage cheese with a passion, but it never loved me back. :')

Special K chips are AMAZING, but I was sort of afraid of them because aren't they kind of unhealthy diet food? Their salt and vinegar flavor are to die for though. Open a bag and I can smell them a mile away. So strong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is Nearly Naked Popcorn low enough for your goals?
  • Stanley1903
    Options
    Special K chips aren't terribly bad for you, and they're the lowest fat salt and vinegar snack I've found. I eat salt and vinegar peanuts or almonds more often, but those are really fatty.

Popcorn Indiana popcorn may work for you. I don't remember the fat content, but the large "fit corn" bag is a salty, crunchy popcorn that doesn't have oil, cheese, or butter. Idk how much oil is used in the prep, but it can't be much.
  • Stanley1903
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me. My diary is open. I'm not veg, but I eat a lot of veg foods because I can't afford much meat that is healthy and reasonabl ethical. I eat a lot of fish (salmon and tilapia, some tuna), peas, and beans/lentils through mixed frozen veggie combos. I eat tons of peas.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you want something crunchy, which is what I think of when someone says salty snacks - pretzels, baked chips, baked chickpeas, air popped popcorn
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Pretzels was my thought
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Smartfood cheese popcorn. Pirate's Booty cheese puffs (or Trader Joe's makes a similar thing). Roasted chickpeas are usually pretty salty and you can buy those or make your own and flavor them to your taste.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Seaweed snacks. Salty and yummy.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm a popcorn fiend. I'll blow my entire sodium allowance on popcorn if no one is watching...
  • Amyskye123
    Amyskye123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make your own kale chips bake kale In oven for ten minutes they will be all crispy sprinkle with lots of salt and maybe vinegar