Need motivation!

Options
Hey everyone. I've been a member for a while but haven't used the app at all...now I'm ready to commit. It's my first day, and I'm already so hungry--ugh! I don't know what I can do to stay more full. Also, I'm breastfeeding so I'm extra hungry for sugar/fats (and I bake cakes for a living!). I appreciate all advice/support. I am just trying not to snack/not to eat sweets (which I unfortunately love). Thanks :)

Replies

• jenlaw71
    jenlaw71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on the avoiding snacks!! I have a desk job and before I got serious recently all I did was snack!!! Now I'm trying to find fruits that won't blow my daily sugar limit - and if I go to the gym I allow myself 1 midget tootsie roll.

You can do this - just make sure you aren't depriving the baby of important nutrients :) BTDT on the breastfeeding years ago :)
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't give up sweets entirely is my suggestion. I portion out my snacks (salty and sweet snacks) ahead of time so it's easy for me to track and I know that I can have one a day or whatever goal I've set. It helps my husband too, otherwise he'd eat all of the veggie straws in one sitting. :p

I'd also suggest working your way down to your kcal goal (whatever number that is) slowly, otherwise you will feel super hungry all the time. Make sure you're also staying in a healthy range while breastfeeding - conversation for you and your doctor.

Good luck! Starting out is always the hardest, but by making slow life changes that are attainable we can both lose the weight and keep it off. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have a setting for breastfeeding, so please add several hundred calories to your daily budget for the sake of your baby. Eat something. Don't choose to be hungry during this important time.
  • Palfonso07
    Palfonso07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started a month ago. I have the same problem, hungry for sweets. I've found that hummus and carrots seems to overcome my sweet tooth. I'm also spoiling myself once a day with a FiberOne bar (Oats and Chocolate). I know working in a bakery is tough on nutrition, but give it a shot. A cupcake is more appealing than something healthy. :)

P.S. If you buy the generic bars from Dollar General, they are the same bar but cheaper. Let me know how it works.
  • lashaundays09
    lashaundays09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i love sweets too... my baby just turned 1 so i know how it is to breastfeed and be hungry all the time. Just try to find healthy snacks. I recently discovered banana with honey and peanut butter... OMG i love it... Also stay on here... Keep logging in food i just really committed this year and it has really helped.
  • apierce2010
    apierce2010 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is really hard at first! You have to put your mind to it!! After a couple of weeks it got a little easier for me. I cut out all soft drinks. I still allow my self a small sweet if I exercise and have the calories left. I normally do apple with peanut butter or any fruit to help with the sweet tooth. I like smoothies but you have to be careful with those too cause they can pack on the calories if not careful.
    I try to do a salad for lunch everyday. And I don't snack. I work a desk job and snacked all day long. I try to do at least 4 days of workout as the min. I can't do but so much working full time with a 45 min drive one way and a 3 year old. But I can already tell I feel so much better and I've only been serious about it for about a month. I struggle when we go out to eat.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    amklein75 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I've been a member for a while but haven't used the app at all...now I'm ready to commit. It's my first day, and I'm already so hungry--ugh! I don't know what I can do to stay more full. Also, I'm breastfeeding so I'm extra hungry for sugar/fats (and I bake cakes for a living!). I appreciate all advice/support. I am just trying not to snack/not to eat sweets (which I unfortunately love). Thanks :)

Being in the food industry is hard. Especially when you are a baker, the smells, the sight of it all is overwhelming.
    You just have to know that limiting them is key. I had no self control when it came to sweets, I learned to bake from an amazing world class pastry chef and when he offered treats I took them ALL. I then used my power of culinary to over indulge myself up 3 pants sizes. Dieting and working with food is a whole different challenge that most people can not understand. You try to restrict yourself but over time it drives you mad. Just keep telling yourself it is a temporary thing. It will not always be like this, and take things one day at at time. Look for support and try to stay strong. Also do not fully cut sweets out of your life. Instead of a whole portion look for someone to split it with you. Or eat more fruits as the natural sugars should fulfill your sweet cravings. I hope this made sense. I am a professional chef/baker so I feel your pain.
  • amklein75
    amklein75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try ALL of these suggestions. Right now I want to eat every single chocolate my kids got for Valentine's Day, but I just keep reminding myself that I will feel so much better if I just stay the course. Luckily I'm not working with anything I love to eat today....so that help.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if MFP has a setting for breastfeeding, so you might be undereating. If I were you, I'd double check somewhere how many calories you need. That might be the reason you're feeling hungry.
    If you're just starting out I would recommend eating lots of soups. They will fill you up, but are generally lower in calories and very nutritious.
    As far as sweets goes, don't restrict your self, just make it work in your daily calories.