Butt doesn't match rest of body :(

Options
I've felt really really discouraged about my butt, especially in the past month or so. It's always been my problem area - flat from the side, but fat and square from the back. I like the rest of my body, and have toned arms, abs, legs, etc. But even after a month of focusing on my butt and doing plenty of specific exercises and feeling sore everyday, nothing has changed. If you look at just that area of my body and nothing else you would think I am obese.

It's so discouraging because I've tried and tried and nothing seems to make ANY difference. My butt is like a square and has no support whatsoever. It's disgusting and making me depressed because I'm trying so hard but getting nowhere :(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• 29coffeelover
    29coffeelover Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try squats . Also look up any butt firming exercises . That will help and round your butt if you work your glutes . That's what I'm doing . I hope this helps you
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One month is a drop in a bucket when it comes to physique building. Plan on months to a year or more of exercises and proper nutrition to build a nice butt. Hint: eating in a deficit will help you shed fat but building muscle will require eating at maintenence or higher. Your body's natural shape and fat distribution also will affect your results.

Get the book Strong Curves and follow it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anyone describe their butt as I have in this post... pretty funny.

I second what jehmm said, it takes a long time (been at a little over a year).. You are getting somewhere it will take a while.. and you have to....

To loose it, eat at a deficit to help you loose weight everywhere including the butt

To build it, (and not just spot adding in the butt) you have to eat at least maintenance and a small surplus. Muscle grow from added energy (calories) and muscles will not grow anywhere on the body unless it is done this way...

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I tried to post a comment but I messed it up somehow... Sorry new to this!

You should do squats. Do them consistently for many months and use proper form.

In the meantime show off and emphasize your toned abs, legs and arms with specific clothing styles.

Skater skirts that flare out at the waist, they will highlight your flat stomach worn with a shorter shirt/sweater and show off your legs and no one will be able to tell the shape of your butt.

Wear some cute heels or flats or gym shoes with a shorter skirt to highlight your legs.

Longer sweaters with leggings or longer tunic shirts that emphasize your legs.

Show off what you are proud of while working for what you want.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Plan on using heavy weight to help that thing! That's what I do :) Even as you are losing, you should do it to preserve the muscle and get a start on building. Then in maintenance you can gain some inches in side-view. I like barbell glute bridges as my main glute lift. It's a big muscle, so you need heavier weights to stimulate growth.

It'll still take longer than a month, but you might be spinning your wheels if you aren't adding some serious resistance to the moves. If you are already getting sore, then go on and do it the most effective way :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    There is a very easy solution. Stop staring at your own butt.

How do you even see your own butt enough for this to be bothersome?
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, and step-ups. I'm built like the freaking kardahians... No matter how much I diet that thing is going nowhere. Your best hope is to shape it and embrace it.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Keep your deficit at a moderate level and strength train. I focus on squats, lunges and deadlifts and it helps. I've made progress (even while eating at a deficit) but I'm only 3 months or so into my program and this needs a lot of patience. One month is not enough to expect any real changes.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds flippant, but if the shape of your butt actually causes you depression, you may have bigger issues to worry about.