Not losing weight

Options
Ok I have been eating well, I exercise 5 to 6 days a week. And instead of losing weight I have been gaining weight, no not muscle my clothes are tighter, my belly is growing instead of shrinking. I've been to the doctor but she said I'm completely healthy so I am at a loss as to why I am not losing anything.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    log everything you eat, you are not in a caloric deficit. You can be in a deficit with diet only or a combo of diet and exercise. Somehow you are eating more than you think and/or burning less from exercise than you are estimating!! It really is that simple. Log all your food, every bite. Do not eat back exercise calories right away, maybe down the road if you are really working out hard and need to from time to time. The scale will move. Good luck!!!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Obvious question maybe, but is it possible you're pregnant?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating well does not equate to losing weight, eating in a deficit does. How long has it been since you've lost? How do you measure your food intake? How do you measure your calories burned and how much, if any, of them do you eat back?
  • marilmoo
    marilmoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eating well does not equate to losing weight, eating in a deficit does. How long has it been since you've lost? How do you measure your food intake? How do you measure your calories burned and how much, if any, of them do you eat back?

It has been a few months since I have lost. I measure food with measure cups or scoop sizes. I log food on my fitness pal and my exercise on my fitness pal. Sometime I eat my exercise calories and sometime I don't.
  • marilmoo
    marilmoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Obvious question maybe, but is it possible you're pregnant?

Good question but I am not.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you tried weighing your food?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I highly suggest getting a food scale so you can be as accurate as you can with your logging. The most likely culprit is that you are eating more than you think.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Using scoops and cup measurements isn't always the most accurate way of measuring your food. Like others have said, you'll want to invest in a food scale. Get one that can measure in metric and english. They aren't expensive and will do you right when getting a more correct grasp of how many cals you're actually taking in.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you changing up your workouts? If you are consistently doing the same thing at each workout - ie. running on the treadmill and a light weight program - then you may be overestimating your workout calories a bit too - this will be a problem if you are eating back your calories after a workout. Your body will adapt to a fitness regiment within a few weeks if you never change it (cardio is still awesome for the heart muscle but running at a consistent speed won't be a major player in your weight loss unless you challenge the muscles). Easy fix, when you are running on the treadmill change the speeds every few minutes so that your body and heart have to work harder to adapt and repair afterwards ( better oxygen consumption, better calorie burn). Add in a workout video throughout the week to utilize different muscle groups, or perform a circuit of exercises a few times a week.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are not eating at a calorie deficit. No other explanation....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    marilmoo wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

It has been a few months since I have lost. I measure food with measure cups or scoop sizes. I log food on my fitness pal and my exercise on my fitness pal. Sometime I eat my exercise calories and sometime I don't.

Then it sounds like you're eating more than you think. A food scale will be a better tool than the measuring cups to make sure you're eating exactly what you log.
  • giraffe_draft
    giraffe_draft Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently got a food scale on Amazon; I read the reviews on a couple before purchasing one. Really happy with the one I got and it was only $11, marked down from $39. Well worth it!