C25k, Running and Shin Splints!!!!

Options
Just started my 5k training after doing 2 straight months of cardio on the elliptical. I started off at 304lbs. Now I am down to 279lbs! So, no complaints there. I felt like it was time to step it up a little so off to the treadmill I went.

I am now into my third week of C25k training and I started to develop shin splints. I am wearing compression socks to help during training and started to ice my legs afterwards. I was thinking about going to the running store in town and picking up a new pair of shoes since my current pair are probably two years old at this point. Or, am I just to big to run, putting too much pressure on my lower body?

My wife who runs 3miles at a time (3 times a week) never had shin splints and said maybe running just isn't for me. But, I am not one to give up. I've had shin splints pretty bad when I was younger, lighter, and trying to work out too.

My brain says to power through it but my body is telling me to stop.

Kind of discouraging....maybe I should head back to the elliptical?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You definitely need better shoes. I'm a bigger girl. I started running at 200lbs and I currently run 2-3 times a week, about a 5k each time. Having supportive shoes is a big deal. 2 year old shoes probably have no support left.

I don't think you are too big to run (that's probably why you are running in the first place, to lose weight, right?), but do not power through shin splints. You'll end up with stress fractures or worse. I've had several sets of stress fractures since I started running and they are not fun. Shin splints and stress fractures are an overuse injury. Compression socks don't really help all that much.

Get good shoes, listen to your body, don't run on consecutive days (that might be ok for people who are used to it or elite runners but not for a newbie), spend more time warming up. The 5 minutes walking you get on c25k might not be enough to warm up your muscles.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the rest days indicated?

Your shoes, if two year old, could certainly be contributing, as it's recommended to replace running shoes after 300-500 miles of running and if you're heavier you could certainly be wearing them out faster. Additionally, if your shoes aren't a good fit for your feet and your gait that can contribute too (and your running store can help you find a pair that will work better.)

You might also want to consider foam rolling and stretching after each run.

Finally, yes, the more you weigh the more stress running is going to put on your body, so if none of this helps you might want to postpone the running until you've lost a bit more and stick with something lower-impact.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am wearing compression socks to help during training and started to ice my legs afterwards.

I wouldn't bother, there is no evidence to support the use of compression during training. There may be some value in recovery after a long run, but you're not close to that yet. Icing is of little value as well, other than pain relief. It doesn't deal with the underlying cause.
    I was thinking about going to the running store in town and picking up a new pair of shoes since my current pair are probably two years old at this point.

There are a number of potential causes for shin splints, but you're correct to consider new shoes. Generally a life of 300 to 500 miles and if they've been used for other things they're likely to be lifed out. Only use running shoes to run in, once you've got them.

Other potential causes include too much, too soon. As observed, take the rest days and follow the plan. You may be going too fast as well.

An alternative might be overstriding, but that's difficult to do on a treadmill. Try to land the forward foot under your centre of mass, or only just ahead.

The main lesson right now is to take a break until the injury has gone.
  • Chrishartman1979
    Options
    Good advice from everyone. Yes, I am taking the rest days in between the C25k. I took an additional rest day this week just for my leg pains. I feel like I need to repeat week 3 anyhow. I am hoping to be ready to do the full 5k in the middle of April.

I have definitely been using my shoes in the past few years from walking, to working and everything in between. I think they are shot. I know my form isn't that great when running especially when I am fatigued. But that is something I am working on.

I have seen some videos on the foam roller,stretching and warming up beforehand which is something I need to do more of.

Guess I need to hit the running store tomorrow and see what happens on Sat. Thanks everyone!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started at 300lbs with C25K, 3 years ago. Good trainers are a must and I also found that at first I couldn't do 3 sessions a week without it hurting my knees so did 2 sessions a week and cross trained (bike/ elliptical/ swimming) another 3 or 3 times a week. It meant I took about 12 weeks to be able to run 30mins non-stop - which is actually what C25K does rather than necessarily be able to run 5k at the end (it took me another 8 weeks to be able to run a sub-30min 5k). Take your time, repeat sessions if you need to and listen to your body. Stick with it, starting running was the best thing I ever did. Good luck :)
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not too heavy. My son, who is 5'9" and 120 lbs dripping wet had to quit the track team when he was in high school due to shin splints...he had all the energy in the world, but he did too much too fast, and he ran on asphalt and cement, which are hard surfaces. I'd definitely go with better shoes, run in the grass when you can, and don't try to do too much to quick. Good luck!!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not too heavy. My son, who is 5'9" and 120 lbs dripping wet had to quit the track team when he was in high school due to shin splints...he had all the energy in the world, but he did too much too fast, and he ran on asphalt and cement, which are hard surfaces. I'd definitely go with better shoes, run in the grass when you can, and don't try to do too much to quick. Good luck!!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    New running shoes are probably 1st priority.

Best thing I did for shin pain was to ice/stretch every day, even when your not feeling tightness. I got into the habit after dinner each night icing both inner shins & my Achilles tendon. Foam rolling is also a good idea, you typically don't realize how tight your calf's are until you start to roll them out. Make sure to do the lower back, hip flexors, quads and even the tops of the shin. My trainer has always told me (preached to me) that when something starts to hurt after a run it is typically because some other muscle group wasn't working correctly and your pain is from that muscle group compensating. Having tight hip flexors, under conditioned core muscles, etc can lead to some of the issues in the lower leg as well.
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would stop until the shin splints heal or just try walking. New shoes will help and try not to run on concrete sidewalks.
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    New shoes are a priority, my shins have improved since I got a decent pair. I'm new to running any distance but have had shin pain on and off for years. Diagnosed as shin splints but never explained to me. Having done some research (having the good fortune to work closely with physiotherapists) I discovered that a very common cause of shin pain is a tight muscle called anterior tibialis. If you run your fingers down your shin, you can feel a sort of dip lateral to your bone, this is where you'll find this muscle.
    Since I discovered this, I've been seeing a sports massage therapist as often as I can afford to! She really gets in there and works on this muscle, it hurts!!! But...for me, it works, I haven't suffered shin pain while running since she's been working on the area.
    Rest up until the pain goes and in the meantime, give the massage a go. Now I know where and what to do, I can do a little bit of massage myself using a muscle rub, nowhere near as good as her but it can help me if I get some twinges.
    Hope this helps xxx