Gotta take the good with bad....I Guess

P90XCertifiedCoach
P90XCertifiedCoach Posts: 369
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
What a great week it has been, I had my first NSV's I noticed I was losing my man boobs, I ran my first 5k( walked a bit). I did have some set backs though. I had a setback with my knee(going to doc tomorrow). My big set back was my weight. It looks like I gained 2 pounds, let me rephrase that I gained 2 pounds. I am no quitter, but I am curious to why. I have several factors that changed this week. Why am I still happy with the week you might ask, because I know I am still trying, I may have made a mistake somewhere this week, not sure where but something has changed. I am gonna get back on track and get back to kicking some butt.
1. I upped my carbohydrates.
2. Slowed my cardio due to my knee
3. upped my weight lifting
4. last week I had an usually high weight loss of 4 pounds
5. started taking Whey Protein

These factors by themself or combined I believe are the reason for my gain.

I have 3 additional tools too help me coming this week. I order a fat monitor, a polar ft7 and an automatic tape measure. So now every week I will measure myself an dmy fat along with the scale.

So its time to suck it up and accept the fact that I had a gain. My plan of attack is simple but it depends on what the doc says about my knee. DRIVE ON. I just needed to vent thanks for listening, We are all in this together and this is the best support group, Ya'll motivate me each and every day , Thank you. Special thanks to all of my friends on friends on here for their continued support.

Replies

• MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    You've got the right attitude! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. As we all know, this journey we are on is filled with highs and lows.

I wish you good news from the Doctor.
  • I like your attitude.

:flowerforyou:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    With the changes you made, you might be retaining a couple of pounds of water in your muscle. Don't worry too much. You DO have the right attitude and have made some great changes. Sometimes this journey gets a little frustrating, but just hang in there, you'll eventually get back on track if you just stick with it!

Congrats on your NSV's and keep up the good work.
  • CindyWho4
    CindyWho4 Posts: 9
    This is my first post ever, but your timing was so perfect, I had to share. Someone just posted on my Facebook a few minutes ago warning me that "scales are alive." As long as you're working toward better health, don't worry too much about the numbers. Your attitude is AMAZING! You got this! ;)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Could be water weight due to the increased weight training etc. The muscles will hold onto water to help repair themselves. Keep with what you're doing and it'll all change up I'm sure. :) Nice job on the run and the loss of the man boobs. That's what it's all about. Take care of the knee and you're doing great.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It could be a number of things:

1) If you have made a major change in your workout either in type of intensity it can cause you to retain water and gain weight. Here is a good article about that http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

2) Due to your knee injury you may be retaining water (swelling anyone) although 2 pounds seems like a lot for that.

3) You may not be eating enough. I know that sounds completely counter intuitive, but my quick look at your food dairy found that for the last several days you have generally been way below the calories MFP assigned you based on your goals. That is not good and over the long run will cause most people to stop losing weight (plateau) or occasionally gain weight. This happens because when their is a big enough caloric deficit your body will severely slow down your metabolism to try to compensate, over longer periods of time that compensation can completely accommodate the deficit you have unless that deficit is really severe such as starvation levels of only several hundred calories. Eat all the calories you have from Myfitnesspal. If you are obese then your body will handle this sort of thing better, but in the long run it will come back and bit you. The key to long term fat lose is a moderate deficit, that is what MFP gives you, you don't want to make is a severe deficit.

Oh, drink lots of water too. That will help if it is water retention.

BTW, I like your attitude. It is very healthy.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    You've got a great attitude. That's really important. I hope there will be good news from the doctor. I have knee problems and can relate. I'm pulling for you! :smile:
  • Thats why I love this site so much support. Riley your dead right with that article. I have ben having trouble keeping my food up, and that may be slowing my metabolism, I forgot to have a zig day, I usually have wednesday as an all you can eat day so to say. Later in the day my weight went down to 251 but I will keep my original weight in of 252. I tracked My new toys and they are now in Atl. So maybe Tuesday I will have them.

I sure do hope I don't have to have surgery till the new year, I am prepared for the worst though. Cotizone shots will get me through I think.My sister also told me something about a procedure called "graston Technic" Anybody heard of that?
  • Kinda wish it was surgery now, Doc says I have arthritus. YUCK
This discussion has been closed.