Considering going without breakfast.

Options

Replies

• shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast around 5 or 6 am..usually a PB sandwich and a banana with coffee. Then go to noon or 1 pm for lunch.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I always have breakfast. I need the fuel to start my day. It could be as little as steel cut oats w/ chia, or it could be soup like this morning (off work today). But I rarely have lunch other than a snack or two. I save 2/3rds of my calories for dinner and nightly snacks. It really doesn't matter when you eat as long as you're comfortable and in a deficit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:00. Have a cup of coffee with almond milk and a tbsp of creamer about 7:00. I then eat my first meal, usually Greek yogurt and berries, sometime between 9:00 and 10:00. I prefer to save more calories for a larger dinner and a little dessert.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I get up at 7 have a cup of coffee with 50 cals of cream.
    Eat a 200-300 calorie lunch after 12 but normally before 2.
    Eat dinner at 5.
    Eat snacks at 7ish.
    Bed at 10.
    Rinse wash repeat
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Waiting to eat until after 11am has been the only thing I have found to control my reactive hypoglycemia. I am very sensitive to insulin and our body's naturally produce more in the morning because of elevated cortisol levels. If I skip eating in the am I feel great all day with no blood sugar issues. Lyle McDonald has some great articles on his website about IF for blood sugar control.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No breakfast here (though I eat "breakfast foods" for supper all the time!). I pretty much never eat before noon or 1:00. It's up to you . . . though I might suggest paying attention to when you feel truly hungry. If you're consistently starving in the mornings, skipping breakfast probably isn't going to work out. I feel really gross if I eat early, and it took some time before I realized I was most comfortable eating two larger meals around 1:00 and 6:30 (essentially a form of IF).
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I don't do it consciously to save calories, I do it because I found that when I was eating breakfast, I was ravenously hungry by about 10am and would find myself going to the vending machine at work because I was starving for a snack.

Now that I don't eat breakfast, it's generally not a problem to make it to lunchtime.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you dont want it dont eat it, but if skipping it will cause you to eat MORE later and binge, then id probably advise against it
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Since breakfast literally means "breaking the fast", it's impossible to skip breakfast. The first meal of the day is breaking the fast no matter what time you have it.

But this is semantics, and I know what you mean. The easiest times I've ever had with losing weight was when I didn't eat until late in the day - like somewhere around 1-3 PM. Lately I've been starving all day every day, though. I wake up at 5 AM wanting to eat, though I've managed to hold off until 8:45 today.

Technically, you can only skip breakfast *once*

But .. yeah we all know what the question means. I don't usually eat until 5 or 6 hours after I get up. Seems to work.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm hungry in the morning (I know many others aren't). Skipping breakfast would make me more likely to binge later. If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you are, trying something with fiber/healthy fat/protein. An egg with a little quinoa. :blush:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    I don't eat early 5 days a week, but I always eat early on the weekends - breakfast with my father one day and breakfast with the grandkids the other day. I find that not eating after my weekday workouts keeps from me from pigging out (since I am hungry after the workout and used to have trouble controlling myself) so this is what works for me.

you need to find some pattern that works for you.

scientifically speaking, it really doesn't matter if you eat all of your calories for the day in 1 meal or in 10 meals.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat breakfast as soon as I get up. I'm up early and tend to eat a banana when I'm at work and consume few calories (usually a salad at lunch) before I get home in the evening. I like to have a good filling meal early in the evening. If I eat more in the day I tend to be lethargic. That's just how my body is and if I fight against it by eating more during the day, I gain weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving usually, and even if I'm not hungry when I wake up, I find skipping breakfast causes me to crave ALL THE FOOD by lunchtime, so I always eat at least a little something. My mom on the other hand, finds that when she eats breakfast she tends to be hungrier all day, so not eating until lunchtime works better for her. Whatever works!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes! When I found out meal timing didn't matter; 10 pounds, figuratively, melted right off me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry in the AM until after "nature calls" so that's when I break my fast. This can be as late as 11 AM.

I feel hungry when I first wake up, but I'm actually thirsty, as this goes away after I start drinking tea.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I do like others have said. Save my calories for when I will want them later (dinner). I am really good at controlling my eating during the day. Evening not so much. So I leave plenty of room for dinner. Just coffee with 0 calorie sweetener in the morning, lots of water, 300-500 calories for lunch, saving 1000-1200 for dinner.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No because I get hungry and feel cruddy if I skip eating in the morning.
    I do eat a smaller breakfast though.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I usually pack breakfast and lunch for work. I'm up by 4:30 or 5 to work out and at the most will have a banana and/or granola bar before a long run, but I'm fine without eating for shorter workouts. I get the munchies at work regardless so I'd rather save the calories for a later breakfast.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    So this morning I had a very very light something to eat for Breakfast. 8 ounces of organic almond milk and 2 tablespoons of freshly ground Flax ( I am a vegetarian. Flax has all the Omega 3 fatty acids), and that was it. I did not feel groggy, full, or tired from eating 1st thing in the morning. Then a Kind low sugar, fruit almond nut bar for lunch while running errands, and felt better again because I ate so light. I kind of like the "little bit of hungry" feeling. And I don't like to feel too full. It slows me down. Tonight I have 1000 calories to work with and have determined that this is definitely what works for me. I've always been an evening snacker and for some reason never have that groggy too full feeling late in the afternoon or evenings when. Reading everyone's posts was an INCREDIBLE HELP. Proves that we all have unique and customized systems and by trial and error, we find what works for us.. Thanks everyone. XOXOX
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try not to skip breakfast. Even if I have something small like a cup of coffee with an apple & almond butter. Or even coffee & yogurt. It helps me stay full until lunch...which is usually later in the day for me because of my job.