Waterproof Fitbit

Options
In search of a waterproof Fitbit /polar/garmin activity tracker.... I like the Fitbit charge hr... But was hoping to find something waterproof since we spend so much time around water! If anyone sees a good sale on them let me know! Thanks!!

Replies

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Vivosmart HR is probably the closest you can get to the Charge HR with the added perk of being waterproof, not just water resistant. I have been looking into it, as I have the regular Charge right now and would love a waterproof device and a HRM.
  • bambam1172
    bambam1172 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • alyssastaples92
    alyssastaples92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit flex is completely waterproof. I sail and swim and always take it with me and its still working 2 years later :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Could you wear a fit bit etc swimming and get an accurate measure of calories burned? If it was water proof?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit flex is completely waterproof. I sail and swim and always take it with me and its still working 2 years later :)

not according to the Fitbit website which says it is merely water-resistant. The Zip USED to say it was waterproof, but they recently changed the website and packaging and it now says never to submerge it. When I used the Zip I submerged it all the time with no problems but if there ever was one now their behinds are covered to not have to replace it due to water damage I guess. (I switched to the Up Move - also not water PROOF, however I find it to be more accurate than Fitbit and I had TONS of issues with my Zips and customer support was only awesome until the original warranty on the first one was up, after that even though their unit was defective they would only offer 25% discount on purchase of a new one. Even though they had to replace four of them for the same damn defect. No thanks)
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine which is water proof, but inaccurate. Stay away from it.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

That's great, and most peoiple don't have a problem with the Flex in the water. But the website says the Flex is "water resistant" not "water proof." If you destroyed your Flex by wearing it in the pool, you'd be out of warranty.

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Whatever they use on the biggest loser, vivofit? I think, thats waterproof because they go in the pool with it all the time
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you want a waterproof Flex, you can find one. There's a company that ads waterproofing to the Flex and then sells the device --- for about $100 more than what you'd pay for the Flex without the waterproofing.

I won't take my Charge HR anywhere near the water. I use my old Zip, I throw it into a plastic bag before I take it into the pool. It's not terribly accurate.

I keep hoping Fitbit will design something for use in the pool. The technology is out there.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine which is water proof, but inaccurate. Stay away from it.

^^^

I purchased a Shine to swim with - the Speedo one specifically made for swimming. It stopped working after my first swim. Contacted customer service and was told they shouldn't be used to swim with, but can withstand water in like, a shower or washing dishes....ummm...but it's MARKETED for SWIMMING?!?! They replaced it, and the new one couldn't even track steps it's so inaccurate. I'll be waiting to hear about an awesome new device that actually works, but so far, the reviews for everything I have discovered are no good.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the garmin products if waterproofing is what you need. The HRM isnt going to work under water though.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had several fitbit flexs' and they aren't waterproof. They originally marketed them as so, but then changed this to water resistant on the website. They all ended up dead eventually and fitbit used to be good with swapping them, now they basically said there was nothing they could do. Oddly, I travel a lot, and they seemed to break just after flights. Whether it was some of the airport security technology screwing them up, I'll never know.

The Garmin mentioned above is great.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My polar ft4 heart rate monitor is completely waterproof. I love it!
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit and never take it off...I've done dishes and submerged it. Haven't used it swimming yet but I heard you can. And you don't have to charge the battery. Love it
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bambam1172 wrote: »
    In search of a waterproof Fitbit /polar/garmin activity tracker.... I like the Fitbit charge hr... But was hoping to find something waterproof since we spend so much time around water! If anyone sees a good sale on them let me know! Thanks!!

• law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Garmin Vivosmart HR on Saturday (that's how I found MFP). So far I love it. I wear it all the time...doing dishes and showering with no problems. Haven't been in a pool yet but it is supposed to be waterproof to a significant depth. Highly recommend.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I went with the Vivoactive for this very reason. I needed something I could wear in the rain while running.
  • jlrosebud
    jlrosebud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a basis peak. It is absolutely waterproof and very accurate. The bands can also be changed out for a different look. It was accurate at tracking my heart rate while swimming. I was swimming with it 5 days a week for an hour at time. I now run with it every day.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the Speedo Misfit Shine, which I find fine for swimming, but don't care for for step counting. I use my Fitbit for that and the Shine to count laps (I'm not sure it's totally accurate, but it's good enough for me in the pool; I hate having to count laps and swim based on time anyway, just like to see if I'm getting faster). You can buy a waterproofed Fitbit through Amazon. I got an iPod shuffle waterproofed through a similar company, and I'm happy so far.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=waterproof+fit+bit&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=85553032879&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3859650748522936939&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5wh7wxn4q5_e